mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Kingman (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/kingman/)
-   -   Suitable low cost reg for a Shutter? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/kingman/23059-suitable-low-cost-reg-shutter.html)

Chappy 09-24-2007 12:36 PM

Suitable low cost reg for a Shutter?

Buddy of mine picked up a cheap shutter that I'm fixing up for him. He'll be uising it on CO2, and wants to "rip" with it, so I figure I'll reg it for him and lower the pressure to try and limit shootdown from pressure drop. What kind of operating pressures can I expect to get decent preformance with this? And what's a half decent cheap reg that'll acheive such?

Thanks.

Hobbes 09-24-2007 01:28 PM

It should come with regulator already, but if it doesn't the only cheap HP regulators I can think of are the Thor and the Doolie if you can find them.

Target 09-24-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobbes (Post 216815)
It should come with regulator already, but if it doesn't the only cheap HP regulators I can think of are the Thor and the Doolie if you can find them.

I have a brand new Thor reg for sale here:

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ulator-fs.html

Dan

Mayvik 09-24-2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chappy (Post 216788)
Buddy of mine picked up a cheap shutter that I'm fixing up for him. He'll be uising it on CO2, and wants to "rip" with it, so I figure I'll reg it for him and lower the pressure to try and limit shootdown from pressure drop. What kind of operating pressures can I expect to get decent preformance with this? And what's a half decent cheap reg that'll acheive such?

Thanks.

How cheap is cheap? If you can find an Evil Detonator, they are usually around $30 and are pretty decent, although they do have about a 5k round break-in, and also note the 500psi MAX output pressure. CP regs are pretty cheap as well and I hear they work well.

Not sure how much you're going to be able to accomplish with CO2, but with a polish job on the internals, decent reg, and maybe a new delrin bolt you can probably get down to the 400-500 psi range without spending a ton of time/money. Shutter doesn't have an e-trigger on it, just a double mechanical, right? You might want to get a cheaper e-frame and a decent barrel (J&J?) as well.

netsurferdude2 09-24-2007 02:06 PM

PMI pure energy one would be good. You can get them for $10-15 used.

Jackson 09-24-2007 03:01 PM

Expect to get the pressure around 500 psi with some simple mods. That's where mine runs at right now. I kind of live by the "Do it right or don't bother" motto, so naturally I went for a PPS Stab on mine. I took the venturi part out of my bolt, raised my FPS by about 20 fps. It just unscrewed with some force, I don't know what the bolt is like in yours. I also have a lightened valve spring to increase the amount of air released, but I have not yet modded the valve or valve stem.

Otter SC Customs used to have a nice spyder page, but the site seems to have died. :( You can still view the info through Google Cache.

Low Pressure - F.A.Q.
Project - LP

Chappy 09-26-2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobbes (Post 216815)
It should come with regulator already,

Good point, I don't plan on using it 'cause its pretty beat up and I've heard nothing good about them, but what operating pressure does it run stock? Anyone know, I haven't been able to find any info about the stock shutter reg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by netsurferdude2 (Post 216843)
PMI pure energy one would be good. You can get them for $10-15 used.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking, so long as the output pressure is significant to operate the shutter. They top out around 500 or 600psi, correct? that should be sufficient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson (Post 216874)
Expect to get the pressure around 500 psi with some simple mods. That's where mine runs at right now. I kind of live by the "Do it right or don't bother" motto, so naturally I went for a PPS Stab on mine. I took the venturi part out of my bolt, raised my FPS by about 20 fps. It just unscrewed with some force, I don't know what the bolt is like in yours. I also have a lightened valve spring to increase the amount of air released, but I have not yet modded the valve or valve stem.

In a perfect world, I'd throw on a stab, but since this a $10 gun outta somebody's garage it just isn't gonna have that much dumped into it. Looks like I have a bolt like yours, maybe I'll try to remove the venturi piece, that makes some sense.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Big help, really.

Jackson 09-26-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chappy (Post 217980)
In a perfect world, I'd throw on a stab, but since this a $10 gun outta somebody's garage it just isn't gonna have that much dumped into it. Looks like I have a bolt like yours, maybe I'll try to remove the venturi piece, that makes some sense.

The Spyder I have the Stab on was $10 as well. Apparently it was "broken" but just needed new o-rings. :) I put a $25 SP Progressive barrel on it and a $80 used Stab. But I understand not wanting to spend that much. A guy I know at the local field was selling it almost brand new and the price was right, so I picked it up.

The venturi part was hard to remove. Otter SC Customs showed to use a long thin pair of needle-nose pliers, but I had none that would work. So I used 2 nails held tight in a pair of vice-grip pliers to twist it out. Still took a lot of force. It was in there pretty good, with a bit of loc-tite I think. You might want to try some heat on it to loosen it up.

Obviously polishing the internals is a cheap and effect way to lower your pressure a bit. The issue I have with lowering pressure right now is getting the FPS up. My Spyder will recock to as low as 300 psi, but it needs 500 psi to shoot at 275. I have an extra valve and valve stem, so I might try working on them a bit.

Eli 09-30-2007 09:04 PM

What about a stock WGP reg? I bet you probably have one somewhere in your junk box...

Chappy 09-30-2007 09:36 PM

Nope, never owned a cocker...