mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Literature (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/literature/)
-   -   who else reading the Horus Heresy ghost guant or Gotrek & Felix warhammer books (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/literature/198985-who-else-reading-horus-heresy-ghost-guant-gotrek-felix-warhammer-books.html)

chrislognshot 04-12-2012 12:40 AM

who else reading the Horus Heresy ghost guant or Gotrek & Felix warhammer books

so far i loving these books Gotrek & Felix, ghost gaunt and Horus Heresy series. what i like about Horus Heresy series its bunch of books by different author giving different style or new idea of story about Horus Heresy story line. since each book can be stand alone story or part of storyline since not all books are tide together. also ghost gaunt books great read since get hear story about rag tag army. all most like watching band of brothers or story of easy co of war II.

foughtwolf 05-18-2012 03:52 AM

I am! Sorry I forgot about this area!

The first Warhammer book I ever actually picked up was False Gods, the second book in the Horus Heresy series, I really dont think its a series that can all be read as stand alone novels. I understood so little of it that I gave up on it until I found the first book almost a year later. In the mean time I ate up the Ghosts, I am a rabid fan of them, Dans work actually, is perhaps the best of the Black Libraries authors, which isnt to say the others are bad. I have read up to book 6 and stalled out to read the newest Ghost book, and got caught up in The Dark Tower. I hope to soon get back into them. I personally found Fulgrim and Flight of the Eisenstein to be my favorites. Watching Fulgrims descent into the heedless folds of Slaneesh was perhaps one of the greatest things Ive ever read, while I rooted from the Death Guard (FotE) to keep to their ways and not break.

PS: My grandfather also loves these series, he also has a soft spot for the Ultramarines. He enjoyed the first two Heresy novels that he is working on a picture of Loken and Torgaddon during the Oath of Moment ceremony. :D

I HIGHLY suggest picking up a copy of Double Eagle by Mr. Abnett. Its a great air battle filled book. If you have made it to Guns of Tanith you will recognize a few names as the main squadron is from the planet contested in GoT. :)

redthirst 05-18-2012 09:14 AM

Gaunt's Ghost is an amazing series of pulp novels. If I don't want to think about what I'm reading too hard - which is the vast majority of the time - they're perfect.

Horus Heresy stuff is hit-or-miss... I wish they'd keep the stuff in some sort of order and have someone who knows their shiz to proof-read for continuity. The first 3 Lunar Wolves and the Emperor's Children books were great, though.

Finnigan 05-18-2012 01:52 PM

I have not read the Horus Heresy stuff yet, and I read some of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels when they first came out (maybe the first 3 or 4?). I have read a couple of other black library books as well. The Warhammer and Warhammer 40K settings make for great reading. I actually have (Had. not sure now where it is) a Warhammer short story compilation published some time back in the late 80's maybe? It had some Gortek and Felix in it.

I have been a part of a community (VERY slow community right now) of amateur writers who wrote lots in the WH and WH40K universe. If anyone wants to check it out, head over to Imperial Literature: Imperial Literature | Science Fiction and Fantasy

PS: I know a couple of members of that site used to tout Space Marine by Ian Watson as one of the best they had read, but it was very hard to come by. http://www.amazon.com/Space-Marine-W.../dp/185283840X Hmmm... For some reason I thought it had been reprinted. I guess I was wrong.

foughtwolf 05-18-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnigan (Post 2348150)
I have not read the Horus Heresy stuff yet, and I read some of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels when they first came out (maybe the first 3 or 4?). I have read a couple of other black library books as well. The Warhammer and Warhammer 40K settings make for great reading. I actually have (Had. not sure now where it is) a Warhammer short story compilation published some time back in the late 80's maybe? It had some Gortek and Felix in it.

I have been a part of a community (VERY slow community right now) of amateur writers who wrote lots in the WH and WH40K universe. If anyone wants to check it out, head over to Imperial Literature: Imperial Literature | Science Fiction and Fantasy

PS: I know a couple of members of that site used to tout Space Marine by Ian Watson as one of the best they had read, but it was very hard to come by. Amazon.com: Space Marine (Warhammer 40, 000) (9781852838409): Ian Watson: Books Hmmm... For some reason I thought it had been reprinted. I guess I was wrong.

I believe its in a collection now is it not? Let the Galaxy Burn I believe.

Oh, I also suggest Ravenor and Gideon novel series. Inquisitors, but still plenty of action and you get a look inside more of the Imperial culture than the other books offer. Also Titanicus, its about a Legio of Titans also written by Abnett.

StJimmy666 05-18-2012 07:41 PM

I love most of the 40k books. They're all surprisingly well written. Gotrek and Felix are my favourite

Interceptor 06-08-2012 05:16 AM

I'm ready the Horus series now. Love the Ghosts, can't wait for the next one. My absolute favorite is the Eisenhorn trilogy. Ravenor was good as well. Dan Abnett is currently working on the third inquisitor trilogy called the Bequin trilogy. Can't wait for that one. The ghosts books and the Eisenhorn books really put that universe on a more personal level that feels great to read.

redthirst 06-08-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interceptor (Post 2372181)
I'm ready the Horus series now. Love the Ghosts, can't wait for the next one. My absolute favorite is the Eisenhorn trilogy. Ravenor was good as well. Dan Abnett is currently working on the third inquisitor trilogy called the Bequin trilogy. Can't wait for that one. The ghosts books and the Eisenhorn books really put that universe on a more personal level that feels great to read.

I never got around to reading the third book of the Ravenor series and I had no clue he was writing a trilogy based on Bequin (last I read, she was in stasis). I looked around a little bit, though, and the subtitle to the Bequin Trilogy is: Ravenor -vs- Eisenhorn :drool:

Lookin like it's about time to get back into BL books.

Flint 06-09-2012 01:09 AM

Check Dembski-Bowden's Soul Hunter trilogy, the guy is as good as Abnett when it comes to writing about an evil hero.

SKULL 06-09-2012 06:53 AM

i agree flink, he is a great writer
i had the pleasure of meeting Dan Abnett, he is awesome, and very willing to talk about his future works and take ideas. he also was willing to sign my stuff so that was cool. I have been into the hobby for 14 years now and love the heresy series the most. anybody who just wants a one off 40k book to read before starting a series i recommend TITANICUS by Abnett

btw if anybody wants to buy models, pm me i have a ton. esspecially rare and limited marine stuff