mcarterbrown.com

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

BT Professional Pants

After 5 years of constant use, my Tru-Spec MARPAT BDU pants finally tore up, and I was in the market for a new pair of paintball pants. I wanted something with a similar pattern and also wanted something that would better protect my knees. The BDU pants I was using had pockets sewn into the inside of the knees to store pads, but these pads had to be pretty thin. I've tried using other kneepads in the past for construction, skateboarding, or paintball-specific pads, but all of them were very constricting, a hassle to put on, and usually slid around as I was running, meaning that when I put my knee down to the ground I could rarely count on protection actually being there.

I found the solution in the BT Professional Paintball Pants. Although the price tag is very steep, these being some of the most expensive pants on the market, my local store had them on sale for $90, and I justified the price by figuring that for this price you get both the pants and a nice pair of kneepads.

My first impressions were not completely positive. The pads are hard rubber and not terribly flexible, which makes walking feel very strange at first. This took some getting used to but after 5 months of use they feel very natural and I don't notice the pads at all. I bought the size large pants, since that was what was on sale, and they were pretty tight. I had about a 42 size waist at the time but have since lost a good bit of weight to around a 37, and they fit much better now.

The pants have an integrated adjustable belt and close with two snap buttons on a flap that folds across the waist. I've always gone ahead and worn another belt over this through the loops. Unlike BDU pants the fly is an easier to open zippered type with an extra velcro enclosure over that. The crotch and the back of the knees are made of a stretchy material and while the official materials claim that the crotch is padded I don't see any padding other than the triple-thick material created by the fly.

The pockets on the pants are very useful. It has the usual forward slash pockets which are plenty deep enough to secure my keys and cellphone. The rear pockets are zippered, which is a nice feature to keep your wallet in place. There are also a pair of rear squeegee pockets that allow quick access to your swabs. There are another pair of larger pockets at the hips that I have found useful for storing a grenade and a point-and-shoot camera. These pockets close with a hard snap "Fastex™" encolsure which is nice but prone to breaking paintballs, as you can see.

The real star of the show are the kneepads. I can't stress how much more enjoyable paintball has been since using these pads. I play mostly indoor and urban fields and had been used to spending Mondays and Tuesdays at work favouring my skinned and bruised knees. No more. The pads are thick rubber with a chunky neoprene pad on the inside that lets me drop down with confidence on concrete and gravel, or slide like a greased eel across the astroturf floor at the field. The great thing is that because they're integrated into the pants themselves they're not going to slide around as you're moving. There are two straps to each pad that keep them flush against your leg, and while they don't bother me while I'm playing I've found that undoing these straps makes walking and driving a little more comfortable when I'm not going to use the pads.

When I first wore the pants it was at the indoor field when the outside temperature was around 90 degrees. The pants felt pretty hot, especially compared to my old baggy BDU pants. There are vents along the sides of the legs, and the bottoms of the cuffs zip up to provide additional venting and to let you wear them over boots, but I found that this venting only worked when I was moving. If I stood in one place for too long they tended to heat up pretty good, and didn't seem to breathe as well as cotton.

Although they're advertised as having a "woodland digital" pattern, the BT pants are not an exact match for MARPAT. The BT pattern is a little darker and a little more green and less brown than the marine pattern, and no where near close to ACU or Multicam. BT's own jerseys match this pattern, as do certain Invert and Empire jerseys that advertise a "woodland digital" pattern. One of the nicer things about the nylon material of these pants is that it means that it's not going to fade in the wash like my cotton pants did, which should keep them nice and dark. The instructions say to hand-wash these things only, but I've washed them twice and let them drip dry. They seem to be holding up just fine so far.

So, to sum things up, the BT Professional Pants are an excellent choice for those looking for the absolute best in knee protection. If you regularly find yourself kneeling or sliding on gravel, concrete, or packed earth I would strongly consider looking into these, but would also urge you to try them on first; the pads can feel unusual and take a bit of getting used to.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

One more pic.
Wanted to show how they match Empire/Invert digital woodland jerseys.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by The Inflicted; 11-09-2010 at 01:37 PM.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

good review, Now I'm sort of considering these
iToonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Señor Member

Me too... last year I bought 3 pairs of JTs for dirt cheap (two as work pants as I have to kneel alot at work)... not that knid of kneeling, Mar. :P

But anyways, the crotches have gone on all three pairs in under a year. Had I paid retail for these I'd be ****ting a brick.

battlechaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlechaser View Post
Had I paid retail for these I'd be ****ting a brick.
LOOOL
iToonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlechaser View Post
cheap (two as work pants as I have to kneel alot at work)
LOL! hahahaahah!

You beat me to it!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
LOL! hahahaahah!

You beat me to it!
What can I say, your reputation precedes you.. the slight hint of Miracle Whip is a nice warning too.

battlechaser is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It