mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
JT ER2 pump pistol initial impressions and technical info

Since KEE bought up the JT/VL/BE/WGP brands there has been some question how they were going to re-sort the brands into their existing lineup. Looks like JT is going to be the new big chain store/intro brand. They've made a new plastic pump pistol to replace the Talon, Blade, and Sabre. That pistol is called the JT ER2, and comes with 5 10 round tubes full of paint and 5 12 grams. It's a 12 gram powered direct feed nelson, with auto trigger and anti-double pump.
(side note, the ER3 is a stacked tube mechanical triggered blowback, no idea of there is an ER1 yet)

I picked up mine at a near by Kmart for around $40.

There was 5 12 grams in the package. Needed to steal one for another project before I took the pictures. The 10 rounders are a subtle smoke color, and the speed caps work very well. I'll be looking to pick up more of these.

A bit closer view.

How the 10 rounders fit. The feedneck is slightly above 1" in diameter. It will take a bit of sanding to get an elbow to fit, none of my 1" elbows will go on. Not too big of an issue really, feels really good with just the tube. Haven't gotten a chance to put air through it yet so it may not have the shot count to justify a 40+ round hopper.

Close-up of the pump handle. Could be a bit wider, kind of hard to grip. Don't expect to autotrigger quickly. But then one of the issues with the Talon and Blade was people busting the pump handle off by slamming the pump closed. The design may be intentionally thin to help prevent this. The way the body overlaps in front of the pump may help with this as well.

A look into the feed neck. Yep, that's an anti-double feed detent. Nice to see one on a gun of this price level.

12 gram knob. Nope, not a quick change. Haven't gassed it up yet so I can't say how many turns it takes to gas up, or how hard it is to remove.

And yes, that says "Made in Taiwan".

Here you can see the barrel. It's not part of the body halves. Surprisingly smooth inside too.

So lets start taking this baby apart.

I removed the pump handle. You can see only the back screw attaches to the pump arm. The front acts as a stop against the body, so you shouldn't have to worry about snapping the pump arm off.

Lets finish taking the screws off.

Careful, there's two sizes. You'll have to remember which one goes where.

Lets split the halves apart.

Pretty basic bore drop nelson layout. You can see the anti-double feed detent on the left hand shell (top of image). Feels like it's glued on.

But wait a minute...

What do we have here? Have you spotted it yet?

There's a SECOND detent in the BARREL! No roll outs! Someone was really thinking when they designed this gun.
A bit of a worry that it might impart a side spin. I'll keep an eye out for that when I get around to test firing it.

Back to the internals. Bolt is black plastic with an o-ring on the tip. Hammer is metal. You can see the classic anti-double pump catches on the sear and hammer. When the sear it caught on the bolt the front part is lower, so the hook on the front will then catch on the notch on the front of the trigger. Hammer and bolt won't go back unto you pull on the trigger.

Lets pull the internals out. Looks like a standard sized nelson mainspring. A standard spring kit should let you tweak the velocity. Like other cheap plastic pumps there's no velocity adjuster. Do note there's not grease or oil anywhere on the gun. Tolerances seem loose enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

Hammer slides quite far into the bolt when it's cocked, makes for a very effective anti-kink feature. Very little noticeable increase in friction after cocking the gun.

Here you can see the metal ring that the sear catches on.

Only thing that has me worried is the powertube. It feels like plastic. Hopefully the anti-kink feature of the bolt and hammer will keep the stress off the powertube.

Overall, quite a few surprising features for a $40 gun. Designed by someone who's obviously had quite a bit experience with pump guns, and not by some committee. Should be a fun little gun.

Nunquam emere potes facere

Last edited by Fubarius; 10-17-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: typos, let me know if I missed any.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
They call me Alter She-Go

Send a message via AIM to Krunk_Kracker Send a message via MSN to Krunk_Kracker

Anxiously waiting for testing results.

How would you say this compares to the original Talon? (which was the first marker I ever shot)
Old 10-17-2010, 12:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Well....

No double feeds. No roll outs. No hammer kink. No broken pump handle.

Assuming it doesn't blow up when I gas up the thing it's already quite ahead of my old Talon.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
They call me Alter She-Go

Send a message via AIM to Krunk_Kracker Send a message via MSN to Krunk_Kracker

Very nice.

I think I'll pick this up for SnG, see how it fairs.

Looking forward to your input after using it a bit.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

I'm liking the real barrel on it. The double detents (antirollout and anti doublefeed) were present in the last talon run before they changed it to this. Either way, this gun would definitely get some people into playing in their backyard with friends.
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Very interesting, and I have somewhere local that is carrying the package for even less than this. Those smoke tubes are another Simon product, and they're definitely nice tubes. I'm going to look at picking one of these up myself in the next couple days.

Dual detent setup. That's really pretty novel. Liking it very much.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Simon knows what he is doing

That looks really cool, the $40 duckslide
3L1te hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
la la la la revolution

There's more thought put into this little gun than any 10 of JT's last releases. Here's hoping the manufacturing quality is good.

Metal-on-metal sear? That's great!

The barrel looks to be retained pretty simply; it may be a simple thing to cut down and mill retention slots in, say, a Spyder barrel (or barrels if you wanted to make a kit!)

What's the stock barrel OD and ID?
MondoMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

I like the idea of an in-barrel detent, but I'm a little bummed that this gun doesn't have a horizontal stock class feed. I saw the leaked extravaganza picture that showed the 10-round tubes in the package and assumed it fed like a Splatmaster. Obviously not.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

shouldn't be too hard to drill for a new one though.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It