mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Crosman 3357

The crosman 3357 is a .50 caliber paintball version of the crosman 357 bb gun. It has a 6 shot cylinder and is 12gram operated. The 12 gram ges into the grips and is screwed in by the lanyard ring at the butt. It's double action, that means that you can either fire it by pulling the trigger wich cocks and trips the hammer, or you can cock the hammer, than pull the trigger, tripping the hammer. The .50 cal paintballs are loaded by hand into the cylinder by "breaking the barrel." By that, you depress a lever on the top of the barel which lets the barrel swing down. Buyy than removing the cylinder, you can than load the cylinder or squegee the barrel. The crosman had some success in the 80's but it died out mostly because it was considered short-ranged, supposedly too innacurate, and hard to come by ammo. Now, its making somewhat of a comeback.
Performance
I personally have 6 cr3357's. They all perform a litle different, but for the most part, they all get around 50 shots per 12 gram. Some of them get a litle more. The 6 inch barrel is actually suprisingly accurate. Good paint is really the deciding factor. Most cr3357 users buy spaltmatic .50 cal blowgun paint.
One of my favorite featres is the mods you can do to them. If you want faster loading, you can cut a half-circle out of the barrel gaurd. That way you can load them without breaking the barrel. I find them extremely fun, duels are probably the most fun you can have. Most of mine have the same range as normal pb guns and 3 of them have better accuaracy.
Cons
The only bad things i can think of with these is all ammo related. Since they do fire .50 cal paint, it can be hard to come by, but most can be picked up at a local sporting goods store. The other bad thing is that most fields are either FPO, or dont allow .50 cal. The last would be that .50 dosnt break as easy. Most of the time they will break, but a glancing shot, just like .68 caliber guns wont really do anything besides leaving a painful welt.
Accessories
some neccesary accessories in my opinion would be atleast one spare cylinder. If you dont have the cut out in the barrel gaurd, get a few. Cylinder pouches are also handy, they can store spare cylinders, or just .50 cal paint. A 12 gauge leather belt is also a nice idea, and same with a good holster. If you want to try duels and all the "highnoon" stuff. A nice leater gun rig is for you. Try ebay for those. Squegees are a must and i made mine out of a stag horn, threaded pipe, and a hoppes 9 .50cal muzzloading swab. Almost all of tyhe neat and useful accesories can be found here:
www.dixiegunworks.com
Overall rating
If your looking to do some fun pistol fights or quickdraw duels, i highly recomend this gun for you. If your also a collector, these are great. I wouldnt recomend these for a speedball palyer putting down his mouse clicker and picking one of these up, but they are great for indoor fields theyre suprisingly good in speedball games, played one a little bit ago and had a pretty good game. My personal rating is a 8.5/10. I really wish they made some modeled after a old western colt, but i might try that myself some day.

Last edited by Shmavistime; 08-28-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Shmavistime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Nocturnal

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
I'm still trying to figure out how you get those belted M-60 blanks to feed through it

My MCB feedback
LUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
I have one of these and a real issue with breakage any hints on how to prevent it?
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmtnphantom
I have one of these and a real issue with breakage any hints on how to prevent it?

For one is finding good Paint.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUKE
I'm still trying to figure out how you get those belted M-60 blanks to feed through it
Not my picture, some german website, but it was the best one i could find.

And to prevent breakage, good paint and good cylinders are key, also make sure it rotates all the way. If not, you might need to order some fresh parts.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
how does one tell a good cylinder from a bad one?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

The rubber/tar/black stuff that acts like a washer to hold the balls i gets ruined pretty easy. If its still looks round and good, than obviously thats okay, but when they get warm, they start to melt. One fix is buying a actual rubber washer and replacing it, or take a dremel, and fit in 6 pieces of 1/2 brass. The back of the cylinder is the hard part. If the notches are all beat-up, and mashed, than there isnt really anything you can do about it.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Fan of EMR
thanks I'll check mine out
Old 09-23-2006, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to howling phantom

Im considering picking one up. How are the velocitys? I know that sence the round is smaller, but can you even get a reading on a chrono?
howling phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fear the Dog!

I currently donot own one, however kind of curious, whats the gun made out of?? Is it a metal body??
doglb is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It