mcarterbrown.com

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Radical!

Gog Enmey vs. Mech Ion XE

Finally received my Enmey (i refuse to use the ridiculous lower/upper case, the spelling is senseless enough). Yet another review isn't necessary, but a comparison would be nice.

Kick off with the Enmey unboxing. Came in a Smart Parts box with a Gog sticker. Apparently some people got no box at all, so i count myself lucky.

May notice the top screw of the feedneck is missing. Must've come loose in transit, because there it is on the bottom, next to the asa. Might loctite it later, to keep it from vibrating loose.

B&W copy of the manual. Less than fancy, but i only needed to know reg adjustments, anyhow, which i'm SO GRATEFUL SP/Gog ditched the hex nut. SO GRATEFUL.

Barrel on, condom on, neck screw in. Kean beans.

Gog regulator disassembled. Enmey manual doesn't state how, but can be found in Envy/Extcy manuals. Only 1 c-clip requires removal for maintenance; there is a second one that prevents the adjustment screw from coming out. Everything is threaded normally, none of this reverse-threaded business like the Ion reg. And the bottom reg cap swivels. Again, SO GRATEFUL.

Side-note: upon re-inserting the pressure relief valve assembly, i noticed a piece that did not come out, a simple brass washer. So keep in mind that piece exists if you ever take that apart. Reg care instructions mention that this pressure relief valve assembly only needs to be serviced if it constantly leaks.

And close-up of pressure spike vent hole. Off-topic: notice the hex internal of the reg. Fits 3/8 allen, but i have NO CLUE why it needs to be hex'd - reg disassembly had no need for it.

Higher res photo, with Pepperstick. Still with my phone, just accept that you won't ever get better pics from me. I set the trigger spring a little tighter, down to the 3rd or 4th hole from the bottom. Might pull it down more, i like a bit more resistance in the trigger pull, reminds me of how mechs normally are.

---
Next is the mechanical Ion XE, courtesy of years of collecting ions and ion parts, and the wonderful collaboration between y0da900 and Deathwish_DW. I could simulate an unboxing, since i still have the original box from my very first ion 7+ yrs ago, but the Enmey unboxing was boring enough.

- Ion XE
- y0da/DW complete mech ion kit
- 360 qev
- top grip screws have washers, since the valve bracket creates a shallow well; you can see the left-hand washer here.
- trigger is set real close to the valve inside, so there is very little pull distance, and very little post-travel.
- everything else is as shown

Trivial side-note: this mech Ion XE weighs 972 grams (2.14 lbs); this Enmey weighs 758 grams (1.67 lbs, .02 more lbs than the manual states... dry weight, perhaps?).

EDIT: 1/19/13

Both guns saw the field today but i did not use them myself, aside from over the chrono. Both chrono'd at ~270 fps, field limit being 275. However, their setups were different. FPO, which was a new box of Spectrum. Temp in the mid-50s F.

ENMEY
- stock barrel
- stock internals
- trigger tension spring set 3rd hole from bottom
- Rotor (v.3 or later, borrowed from a buddy)
- Myth G2 45/45 (Crossfire bottle)

MECH ION XE
- 14" Redz Pepperstick w/ .687 bore
- internals as stated in XE section above
- 9v Revvy
- Ninja 68/45

The mech Ion had a tiny leak, probably needs a new o-ring or two. Still worked, though.

At the chrono, i noticed the Enmey has a much lighter trigger pull, even with the tension spring set near the bottom. Although, the spring is light to begin with, so tension variances are hard to differentiate. For my personal use, i may set it all the way to the bottom notch. I like em stiff! But the valve takes very little pressure to actuate, i could probably blow real hard on it and it'll shoot. Good thing it's encased in the grip frame.

As mentioned, i didn't use these myself on the field, but i was around. First thing i noticed was the SOUND. The mech kit's SMAV is quieter than whatever valve the Enmey uses. From a distance of about 20-30 ft, i could clearly hear the Enmey operating; only sound from the mech Ion XE was the actual ball propulsion. The SMAV does make a distinct sound, but i only notice up close. I'm sure the QEV installed in the mech Ion is also aiding its sound signature, or lack thereof, and the Enmey's venting reg may play a part in its sound signature, if it is indeed venting at all. May try swapping their regs later and see/hear what happens.

Don't have efficiency numbers yet, not even ballpark figures. Two different people used both guns, and both people carried 2 pods and a hopper's worth of paint. Neither ran out of air or paint ever, both only had 3000 psi fills, and both only topped off their tanks once. I may head out again next weekend, when i'll try to get more decisive numbers.

One of the minor advantages to the Enmey that i like is the safety; mech Ion has none unless you count the on/off. I prefer simply dis-engaging the trigger than having to cut off the air supply, since the reg could require adjustments afterward and the sudden rush of pressure each time takes its toll. I suppose one could rig a safety in the mech Ion, but that defeats the ease of its drop-in nature.

EDIT 1/22/13: home sick, time for efficiency tests! Had about 2,500 psi left in my 45/45 (Myth G2 reg, Crossfire bottle). Used the 14" Redz Pepperstick w/ .687 back. Hopper is a 9v revvy. Chrono'd at ~270 on saturday, did not change it.

Enmey - Shot 99 z-balls, some blank shots, & a couple short-strokes. Why 99? Cuz i lost 1 testing my Hammer 7 earlier. Blank shots from out-shooting the revvy at one point, and after the 99th z-ball. From 2,500 psi, the gauge now reads about 1,800 (best guess). ~700 psi per ~100 shots? Works out to 643 shots from a full 45/45 if i did the math right. Eh, that's below average. Granted, the reg is not broken in, sure isn't sweet-spotted, and the bolt could use a relube after saturday. Numbers could improve. May try a qev later.

mech Ion XE - after narrowing the leak down to a rough-cut macroline (replaced it), i was left with a more even 1,500 psi in the tank. Same barrel, same hopper, same 99 z-balls & another half dozen blank shots (just at the end, cuz i felt like it). Tank gauge reads about 1,000 psi. So ~500 psi per ~100 shots? Some more math, and that's 900 shots from a full 45/45. Slightly above average. Could be the well-broke-in reg, could be the qev, could be the difference in trigger valves, or a combination of all 3.

Efficiency Results: far from conclusive, but interesting nonetheless. So far, mech Ion XE is winning the efficiency war. But the addition of a QEV in the Enmey and more shots through that reg could change things.

Last edited by nerdcore; 01-22-2013 at 12:19 PM.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Radical!

And now, the shenanigans.

I finally started building a z-ball/reball catcher. Dunno how i've gone all year without one, as really what's the point of reusable paintballs if i have nothing to shoot them at? I can't keep shooting the pile of dirty laundry.

Ugly cobble of materials used:
- rubber-lined carpet squares from local goodwill
- rope
- duct tape
- short-sleeve mesh shirt from music city thrift
- cardboard housing/stand
- a single binder clip

EDIT: my first idea was stupid and terrible. Tie squares together to form a cube? Dumb!
Last night i thought of rolling the carpet squares into tapered tubes, then link them into a cone.
Tie the mesh bag off at the smaller end of the cone.
Drape a cloth or strips of another carpet square near the wide mouth of the cone to prevent bounce-outs.
Prop the cone on a pvc stand.

EDIT 2: The carpet squares are not tapered. They are simple tubes. 2 tubes connected by a 3rd tube like a pipe joint. I cut a 1/4 square of another carpet piece, and tied that on one end. The rope goes straight through the tube, and acts as a pivot point for the square. The square can effectively stop the z-balls and direct them downwards without letting them bounce back too much.

The stand will now be a big cardboard box from Walmart. Cutting a hole one one side, near the top, and another hole on the other side, slightly lower, so there's a slight angle, enough to prevent balls from rolling out the mouth and instead, roll back towards the catcher.

The tubes don't provide a large hole for targeting, but as i don't plan on shooting from across the house, that won't be a problem.

EDIT 3: More or less finished. Covered the rear flap with the mesh shirt, looped rope through the sleeves, then binder-clipped the sleeve openings together. Don't want balls bouncing or falling through the sleeves, only want them falling down the bottom. All that's left is to tape shut the open side & place a box under the mesh shirt to collect balls. I can finally do testing & chrono-ing at home again!

EDIT 4: First test was... dangerous. Back flap is too rigid, even with the ability to swing back. Almost shot my eye out with a bounce back out of the tube tunnel. So replaced the flap with some cloth material; specifically, 2 ORIGINAL ball catchers, some tidy whiteys i got one year for xmas but never wore. What better way to save my balls... Still get some bounce back, but not as dangerous. Front of the tunnel may need a curtain.

Side closed.

Side open.

Target side.

Backside.

Last edited by nerdcore; 01-22-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Interesting. My first run GoG had a white sticker with orange paint splat.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Looking forward to a shooting comparison,really love my mech Ions
Surprised at the weight difference though its marginal,is the frame composite?
Subscribed
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Radical!

idkfa - hm. So 3 different sticker colors. Probably just random Gog stickers, then, to hide whatever was printed on the box. Odd how i'm so intrigued by this, everyone must think i'm high.

punisher - Enmey frame, trigger, body shell, and feedneck are all composite. Housing for the trigger valve inside is also composite (like the banjo fittings), as shown in Murf's review thread. Durability isn't a concern, except for the trigger... however, the trigger isn't really strained at any given point unless you Incredible-Hulk your trigger pulls.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Deathwish_DW Send a message via Yahoo to Deathwish_DW

Lmao @ the high remark.
Mine has a yellow sticker.

I won't state my personal opinion since it's biased both ways (gog dealer and well.. yeah. we make the mech kits XD).

I am interested to see the results.
Maybe I should do something with my personal mech.. heheh
Proud Dealer of: J4 Paintball - Bob Long - DLX - Ninja Paintball - GOG - Deadlywind - Valken

MCB Feedback 57+ (People don't really leave me feedback, lol :d)
PBN Feedback 314+
eBay Feedback 1906+
Deathwish_DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Woodsball Connoisseur

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I don't think my box had any stickers.
Xbox live: Grendal50
Grendal50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I don't go on the field with the box so I really wouldn't have cared if it came packed in a Tauntaun. Well maybe the smell but otherwise I only care if the gun makes me a Jedi on the field.

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" is my motto

Last edited by shadawg; 01-06-2013 at 06:52 PM.
shadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Deathwish_DW Send a message via Yahoo to Deathwish_DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendal50 View Post
I don't think my box had any stickers.
Sucks to suck XD
Proud Dealer of: J4 Paintball - Bob Long - DLX - Ninja Paintball - GOG - Deadlywind - Valken

MCB Feedback 57+ (People don't really leave me feedback, lol :d)
PBN Feedback 314+
eBay Feedback 1906+
Deathwish_DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Woodsball Connoisseur

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Lol!
Xbox live: Grendal50
Grendal50 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It