mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Redux Upgrade 1.1 Review

Redux Review 1.1

A few months ago I was informed the Redux Factory was planning on few upgrades to the Redux. Last week I contacted mOngo about getting trusty DSA1 upgraded. I was a little reluctant at first for a couple of reasons. Primarily I have enjoyed my Redux, it’s works perfectly fine so why should I chance messing it up. Secondly it is a first run Redux dare I mod it? The bottom line this is one marker that will not be sold but rather handed down to my son when I’m too old to hit the field.

After speaking to mOngo about the mod he put my mind at ease and explained it was a very simple mill job to remove 1/8 of an inch on the front portion of the feed port. If you happen to have one of the first run Redux’s your have noticed the entire snub is round and the feed hole is quite beefy. mOngo explained by thinning the front part of the snub it would aid in quicker forward stroke of the slide. The idea being that there will be 1/8th inch of less lip and reduce the chance of pinching a ball.

Thus I decided to put caution to the wind, boxed up my snub and allowed part of my Redux to leave my hands for the first time since it met me at my door step. Its kind of funny but it was like sending your kid off to school for the first time. Anyone who has boxed up their baby and sent it in to Palmers for a tune up knows exactly what I am taking about. However due to mOngo’s quick turn around my empty nest syndrome lasted less than a week.

Everyone knows the only thing worse than getting an upgrade is waiting weeks to test it out. I remember back in the day I would send off my trusty Z-1 to Marcus and Moe only having to wait weeks to get it back and several more for the snow to melt down in order to get to the Gold Rush big games at Hot Pursuit. Luck being on my side Challenge Games Lubbock has its monthly scenario games planned for every last Sunday of the month and for me that was the following day.

I spent Saturday night SLEEK-ing down all the moving parts to include the snub and slide in eager anticipation. I decided to continue to running the same spring combo, Red main and Green valve springs sans return spring. The next morning I wasn’t surprised to chrono at 276. The field paint was EVIL, which is not my first choice as I have had trouble with it in the past. My Redux just doesn’t like that stuff. I figured what better way to test it out than with paint that didn’t work well in the past. Upon stroking it I noticed mOngo was correct, it seemed to pump slicker. Who knows maybe I wanted it too but in my mind it was smoother, and a bit quicker and I rejoiced.

After a few balls I notice the quicker I pumped it the better it fed. Sometimes when sneaking up on an opponent I tend to pump my Redux very slow as if trying to whisper the ball into the chamber. It’s just something I do; it has not rhyme or reason. It is a technique I tend to avoid with small bored paint due to the occasional pinch and certainly something I vehemently avoid with EVIL! That stuff is smaller than Mini-Me's nut sack after a cold shower!

Although I still had an occasional pinch (I noticed it 3 times) while whisper stroking the pump the new mod worked well for me. Bottom line I increased the speed of my pump stroke and was even able to auto trigger smoothly while shooting down the one hill in Lubbock TX.

If you own a first run Redux I would recommend the mod. There is quite a difference in the feel and feed ability of the mod. If you are thinking about getting a Redux rest assured it’s already under the hood and you won’t have a clue about what I am talking about. Those of you who already own a Redux know, "The only thing better than owning a Redux is looking really cool owning a Redux."

DSA with son Zack getting ready to rumble.

Other upgrades the Redux Factory is offering include:The trigger set screw, which allows the user to sweet spot the trigger break. Extended barrels, new colors, Slate is now a thing of the past (rejoice slate owners) & some other secret squirrel stuff mOngo is keeping on the down low for now.

Original Redux Review:

Redux SN DSA1 Show Me the Numbers

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.

Last edited by DSA; 01-28-2009 at 11:52 PM.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

A little OT, but:

That's a great pic of you and your son! Man do I miss Challenge! Good paintball and great people.
Tx_Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

excellent write up DSA. thanks! i may have to send in mine for an upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Ok choochie, the duck is not troubled, it's dated. The technology is old, it's like 8mm stop motion film reels, nothing will ever replace them, they are nostalgic one of a kind but for today's youth the expectations are CGI.
my feedback
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Very cool write up. I'm going to have to send in #13 in the near future.

Mongo's working on my extended barrel right now. You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to that
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

You have no idea how done he probably is with it (hehe). He told me my days were numbers in the single digits for being the only one with an extended barrel. The only bad news about today was I got some pump wear on the snub adpt from crawling 50ft to get a few elims got lots of dust in there but the tolerances being what they are this was bound to happen sooner or later.

Quote:

Old 01-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

ahh... the wear only adds character to it.
Quote:
Ok choochie, the duck is not troubled, it's dated. The technology is old, it's like 8mm stop motion film reels, nothing will ever replace them, they are nostalgic one of a kind but for today's youth the expectations are CGI.
my feedback
Old 01-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

DSA's virgin 'Dux- got it ano cherry popped!

Join the club Daddy-O!! with as many elims as you have had with that thing, its about time you started whippin' it like a mule and shaving some ano off it- Chad's right! it's like carving your elims on your grip!! Mongo
Old 01-26-2009, 12:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

The guys in my unit called me Monk due to the fact I cleaned my M-4 4 or 5 times a day everyday. I have learned to just have fun with it all. I played a game with my TM-7 and although fun, it was nothing like getting your heart pumping knowing you have only one ball chambered. It also feels so much better to cap someone and have them know it came from a Redux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
That's a great pic of you and your son!

Its the time of my life, after Afghanistan its all cake! I couldnt play without him. Although in the heat of the battle I still need to tone down Drill Sergeant Alfaro a bit. I'm still working that out.

Quote:

Old 01-26-2009, 01:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

DSA, I really enjoy reading your write-ups. It makes me appreciate mine just THAT much more. I honestly sleep with it right next to my bed. I really think this is the one gun that I just have NO intention of getting rid of. I definitely need to use it way more. Man, I need to go paintballing way more.

Edit: Oh yeah. How do you like the Tippmann grips on it? I've always loved Tippy grips. They're big and beefy.

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

those are some great pics of you and your son. i'm sure things are cake after Afghanistan. i can't imagine having to be over there, i know your glad to be home.
Quote:
my feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It