mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

I grease everything with SP SLEEK that makes contact with another part. I have one greasy gun thats for sure and my wife sometimes looks at me funny for doing it. Grease up the entire trigger assy, hammer sear, all threads between the freaks and the ID of the barrel everything.

It is precision machinery and will rub if you dont the tolerances ARE that tight. BTW can you take a better photo of the DUCK trigger removed I couldnt tell if it was ramped like mine. Also how many balls fit in the DUCK tube it llooks longer than the Redux feed tube.

Thanks

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.

Last edited by DSA; 04-15-2009 at 10:48 PM. Reason: another stooopid question
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

if you really want to get into modding your redux,i would suggest mimicking high performance nelson set up's from the past with your internals,for instance pick up a set of phantom guts and flute the hammer to the same weight as a lapco light and medium,get several different power tube sizes,and a complete spring kit,remove the sear from the hammer and try different springs,aswell as trigger springs it's tedious but the results could be very well worth it just my take on it,id like to hear what mongo thinks about it?

Last edited by Gogged_Gurl; 04-15-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Gogged_Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

RTP Fan
Ok, I will do so later, (actually, let me just link you to some of the pics from my duck review), but yea, it is ramped, and the Hammer sear on the duck looks exactly like your hammer sear.

As a note of interest, I tried swapping every part imagineable between the duck and the redux, however, the tolerances are very tight, and the valve on the duck is slightly shorter than that on the redux. Also, the reduxes Valve is angled farther back than the Ducks (15* vs 13* I think), I was hoping to two tone my duck and use the redux in-handle on it, but no luck with that.

I did do a mod to my Redux though, so that I can dry fire it now, and hopefully improve upon its efficiency. I put a tapered screw at the bottom of the spring, to replicate the effect of the brass seat for the valve spring that the Duck has, but I haven't had the chance to do any sort of efficiency test. Also....my Duck's slam changer broke! The pin that holds the 12gram in is connected to a spring, which is connected to a screw, and the spring rusted and broke while I was trying to find the sweet spot for pin height. So now I can't latch the door shut with a fresh 12 gram since the pin is so far up...it just pops open and fires out the 12gram like a mini missile.
ironchef97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Hmmm lucky you mongo fixes ducks.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Internet Superstar

ironchef97- First off, outstanding review I hope someone can loan you a boxgun, then you could do the first comparison between the four. What #Redux do you have, not sure if I saw that. I didn't know that there was a difference between the original 20 and the rest of the Redux's. Would you like me to take some pictures of the internals/sear? I have R#021

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
I grease everything with SP SLEEK that makes contact with another part. I have one greasy gun thats for sure and my wife sometimes looks at me funny for doing it. Grease up the entire trigger assy, hammer sear, all threads between the freaks and the ID of the barrel everything.

It is precision machinery and will rub if you dont the tolerances ARE that tight. BTW can you take a better photo of the DUCK trigger removed I couldnt tell if it was ramped like mine. Also how many balls fit in the DUCK tube it llooks longer than the Redux feed tube.

Thanks
So I'm assuming just regular Dow 33 will work fine then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogged_Gurl View Post
if you really want to get into modding your redux,i would suggest mimicking high performance nelson set up's from the past with your internals,for instance pick up a set of phantom guts and flute the hammer to the same weight as a lapco light and medium,get several different power tube sizes,and a complete spring kit,remove the sear from the hammer and try different springs,aswell as trigger springs it's tedious but the results could be very well worth it just my take on it,id like to hear what mongo thinks about it?
This is my next project, do you know anyone that can make the necessary modification to the internals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
The last thing I'd recommend is GIVE THESE GUNS TIME! There is a learning curve to these guns, and I am still learning how to play with the Duck, and I am relishing the challenge of learning the redux. Patience, and you will be rewarded!
I agree %100 with you on this. It's not easy though. It was a challenge when I switched to a Duckslide from a Phantom. You have to get used to a shorter barrel and playing without a stock. Switching to a Redux has blown my mind though It's my first right feed and I haven't been able to hit anyone yet (need some more time at the range)
spud01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:31 AM   #16 (permalink)

RTP Fan
DSA:
I forgot to answer, the duck feed tube holds 12 comfortably, it could fit 13, but it most likely won't feed (unless they are all like .681 sized paint!).

spud01:
Thanks! I have Redux #15, and if you are going to go mod your redux, I would recommend not changing the powertube yet, I believe they are customized. Mine is a Lapco #4, but with an ID the same size as a #6 (larger than the #4), and they MAY be cut down slightly. A mod that I did was to add a screw at the end of the valve spring, to make it apply a higher tension on the powertube. I'll have to rechrono sometime and see what the efficiency is like. Also, like Gogged_Gurl said, if you could replace the hammer sear (assuming yours is a phantom one) with one that has a flatter slope, that would 'improve' your trigger feel, making it lighter, as well as having a slanted/sloped sear tripper on your trigger. Some like heavier pulls, but mine (as set up stock) was so heavy that I was getting serious vibrations in my trigger finger. That was ok until the end of the day, when my finger started hurting (I know I am a wuss!).

From conversations with russc and others, the most efficient setup appears to be BBA, having a strong valve spring, and tuning from there. Polishing internals will probably help, but I am not the guy to ask on that matter. Also, an extended barrel will help efficiency, as the redux one is only 6" long, and the ideal length for efficiency seems to be ~8". mOngo has said you can get 5-7 more shots off the extended barrel for the redux than the stock one. Do you have the ball pinching mod? I feel that would help greatly, at least comparing my Duck (which has it) to the redux (which doesn't).

We should have a big community project for determining which variables effect performance/efficiency, possibly testing different powertubes, valve springs/main spring combos, and other things.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

spud any good local machine shop can mill the flutes in the phantom hammer to remove material and lighten it up easily,or at home with a v-block and a drill press you can swiss cheese a hammer

mongo does use cut down lapco #4's bored to #6 ,a stock phantom power tube is a #4 just switching to the stock tube and stock phantom springs should bring your shot count up? you can cut down standard length tubes to match

you want the lightest hammer and mainspring you can with a heavy valve spring obviously theres limits to that

from alot of reading about it the extended barrel will help aswell. so barrel, springs, smaller power tube. you could see 10 good shots over stock?
Old 04-16-2009, 03:52 AM   #18 (permalink)

RTP Fan
ahh, if only i could procure extra powertubes and hammers...sadly the duck hammer and bolt are not compatible in the redux, due to the valve lengths being different, and bodies being slightly different lengths as well. I will recheck, but last time i switched the internals out, the redux wouldn't cock, as the bolt didn't go far back enough to catch the hammer's sear.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

hammers and tubes for the redux are readily available,contact carter for duck parts and talk to mongo and the other duck owners like RTR and ask what thier set ups are
Old 04-16-2009, 04:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

RTP Fan
Hopefully once Carter gets back from vacation or whatever he is doing until the 20th (SPE maybe?) I can figure out some combos.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It