mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 11-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

A fairly silly question, on sighting with center feed

Ive been regularly (4 times a month is rec playing? ) playing paintball for fairly long already (granted, not as long as many here, just inching toward a decade in the sport, so i guess still a noob)
And tend to consider (apparently others concur )myself as solid player, with good economical snap shooting skills.
I play with semis, and pumps, and somehow, ive never played with a center feed marker... right, left, power, gravity, bottom, warp, did all of em, but not a center feed...
Recently acquired a pump cocker with a center feed, and while loving the action of it, ive found that im having a hard time sighting it.
Never had a problem with sighting down the barrel, using stock sights, red dots, and even scopes on all the other markers, but with this one im having hard time to find the reference points to properly sight it...
Being right handed with left eye dominant doesnt help as well( i cant go and play lefty all day!)

So i guess im looking for suggestions on how to find a stable reference point, to base the eye to muscle memory on, or maybe even a different approach altogether.

Obviously i could solve the issue by putting a scope on, but thats the easy way out (besides if i go ahead and halfblock the marker, i wont have where to put the scope)

So all suggestions, no matter how silly they are (well ok, i wont accept such thing as taping a laser to a barrel.) are welcome!
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Your best option is to just shoot enough to where you really do not aim, you have the muscle memory to point and shoot.

Or, look down the center feed with one eye on each side, kinda keep the center feed between your eyes.

Another option is or aim down the side of the marker.
sniper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Psychopath. :D

Send a message via AIM to Legato

I like to tilt the marker at a 45* angle, with the hopper going towards the bunker you are in (this helps hide that hideous target) and aim right down the side of the marker. Works just fine for me. And feeds fine til the final few balls.

Inversely you could get an occluded sight like a dye izon and use that and do what sniper97 mentioned
Legato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legato View Post
I like to tilt the marker at a 45* angle, with the hopper going towards the bunker you are in (this helps hide that hideous target) and aim right down the side of the marker. Works just fine for me. And feeds fine til the final few balls.

Inversely you could get an occluded sight like a dye izon and use that and do what sniper97 mentioned
This is what most of the "competitive" players do. The advantage of centerfeed in these cases is that you can switch hands and angle it 45 the other way just as easily.

I think that the OP was alluding that He's right handed, left eye dominant so that an occluded sight couldn't help him.

But, there's the option of retraining your eyes. My eyes are retrained to be about even. My right eye tries to redominate, so I wear a special eye patch a few times a month.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
But, there's the option of retraining your eyes. My eyes are retrained to be about even. My right eye tries to redominate, so I wear a special eye patch a few times a month.
Now that's dedication! lol.

I was going to suggest you aim down the side, but being left eye dominant probably makes it difficult. You could try holding the marker as if you were going to aim it over the top with your right eye, then cock the marker about 30 degrees to the left and use your left eye to sight it down the right side of the marker. Using your left eye might give you a slightly larger profile, but its probably better to have a larger profile and being able to hit stuff rather than a smaller profile and not.
Blackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Yep. Tilt the gun at a slight angle and look down the side of the barrel. Keep the back of the gun in front of your nose so wherever you look, you can send a ball. It's a bit harder to get used to centerfeed but I prefer it. After using it for two years I can't stand right feed or power feed.

Anyway, in this picture, see how he has the gun tilted a little bit? This will also change depending what hand your shooting with as well.

Hope that helps!

-BB
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yep, use it all.

I'm left eye dominant/right handed and love occluded sights. The left eye follows the target and the right eye has to pick up the dot. The muscle memory gets the marker there with less fiddling.

A longer barrel (~14") helps the visual pointing as well.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
BEO-Mafia

CCM Fan
I learned a neat trick (although it doesn't always work) from one of Tiger's videos:
you can naturally point to a "target" without aiming. If you use your index finger along the side of the marker to point to your target first you have a better chance of getting it right on the first shot.
try not to think about it too much though.. just do it and see if it works
I found that if I thought about where I was actually pointing or tried to compensate by aiming, I usually missed.

of course, distance and wind are factors and will screw with you but it's a decent start to developing that muscle memory instead of aiming by sighting with the barrel, etc.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

^^^ That's a great way. I picked that trick up from Tyger as well. It's obviously transitional. More of an aid when learning how.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a question regarding occluded sights. Is there a preferred method to using them as per your dominant eye? Would you aim with your dominant eye or sight with your dominant eye, or does it matter?
Blackops is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport