mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #91 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by M98punk View Post
wow....WOW Jesus you people would put your knees at risk to cheat?? I mean forgive me, to encourage paint that has legitimately hit your body to fall to the ground. That is one of the reasons I trust very little "paintball specific" protection. Because it's looks over performance any day of the week, and they make it that way because people buy it that way
I think I missed this part?
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #92 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
Bought a pair of valken kneepads and love them, the xl full shin length ones were too small for me but the knee only ones fit

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #93 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I think I missed this part?
He's basically saying people are more worried about getting bounces from inferior gear than actually protecting their knees. On one level I agree with him. Then again, I truthfully don't need kneepads down here with my DBD pants. The only time I'll put on the pads is if I'm playing in an area that has those evil cypress knees.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #94 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Okay, but the last page of posts was talking about Kali pads with ABS shells.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #95 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Yeah, it was kinda random.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #96 (permalink)
NYOG President

LOL sorry I was playing catch up with the thread. And it was right after I had a tenth grader not know who Christopher Columbus was or what he discovered, and an 8th grader that didn't know what the Holocaust was.....

My aggression aside most all paintball protection is trash because it focuses on protecting second bouncing 1st. And don't even get me started on the jerseys now that come with padding built in!
M98punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #97 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
The only pair of knee pads that have stayed on my leg during a full sprint and in place during a crawl are my Redz (old-model) Knee Pads. http://www.ppba.com.au/RedzKneeShinGuardz.jpg
The top strap is neoprene so over time, it stretches. However, it is only there to keep the top of the pad from flipping forward. The bottom two straps are a heavy nylon material that doesn't stretch whatsoever. These work for me because the middle strap (goes above my calf) keeps the pad from sliding down, and the bottom strap (right underneath my calf) keeps the pad from riding up. With the calf in between them, I have zero problems flexing the muscle. The front face is also a kevlar-based fabric so, I've not seen any problem with them.

The sad part is that they are no longer made. Last year I lucked out and got me a second pair when a local store happened to have a new (old stock) pair. The first pair I have can be refurbished by replacing that top neoprene strap as the rest of the pad is still in great shape. To do this, I don't even have to do any sewing other than attaching velcro to another length of neoprene.

The strap design of those Kali pads look to be similar but, I wouldn't want all that fabric on the back (I'm spoiled by the open backs on mine).
I have some of these BNIB if anyone wants them. I know it's not BST but just putting it out there.

Awesome knee pads.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #98 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

This got posted on TechPB. Warning, blood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0NaBNlGJJI

Don't be stupid, use kneepads.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #99 (permalink)
drg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M98punk View Post
My aggression aside most all paintball protection is trash because it focuses on protecting second bouncing 1st.
I don't see much of that. On stuff like kneepads, protection is usually pretty high on the list (mobility is usually the foremost IMO) and bouncing is a consideration. Pads are meant to protect while diving. The difference with pads that are not designed for paintball is that bouncing is not considered at all, and therefore they often feature actual hard points that encourage MORE breaks than the underlying body part. Given the choice between sufficiently protective gear with and without hard parts, I usually choose the one without hard parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
This got posted on TechPB. Warning, blood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0NaBNlGJJI

Don't be stupid, use kneepads.
Gah what was in that mud?!
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #100 (permalink)

Not very hard to lose track of pegs.

Im definately looking into some of these knee/shin guard combos...After a losing encounter involving a tree stump and my knee cap something with more protection seems pretty viable. I take it there's an overwhelming recommendation for the Kali ones?
Matt Ribble is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport