mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 06-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Not new to the sport but have been inactive for quite a while...

So I was very active in paintball about a decade ago. I've owned Automags, Autocockers, Angels, The old smart parts guns (shocker/impulse), guns like that. HPA/Electronic guns were very new when I got out of playing paintball and were extremely expensive. I've done some tournaments such as the Zap pro/am and local stuff. My local gun range that I shoot IDPA/USPSA (competitive shooting sports) is opening up a paintball field (well, multiple paintball fields) and I'm looking at getting back into the sport.

I'm looking for some suggestions on gear to get back into the game. I'm looking for mid-range gear, nothing super high end, I'm not looking at spending a thousand dollars or more for a marker these days.

What would your suggestion be for a good mid-range setup that won't break the bank? I'm not looking for a Brass Eagle Talon (or whatever the equivalent of those are these days...) but I'm also not looking for a super high end custom paint throwing machine.

Thanks guys!
PsychOfMSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

My ideal mid range Electro setup: Empire Axe or PE Etha, Invert Too, Whatever HPA you are comfortable buying

Pretty Cheap but reliable and very nice setup, only thing about the Etha that might annoy some people is the vibration, but ive shot one, you forget about it on the field.
IVIidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIidnight View Post
My ideal mid range Electro setup: Empire Axe or PE Etha, Invert Too, Whatever HPA you are comfortable buying

Pretty Cheap but reliable and very nice setup, only thing about the Etha that might annoy some people is the vibration, but ive shot one, you forget about it on the field.
Thanks for the suggestion! Those are the two I have been looking at. It's amazing how much cheaper the guns I was proficient with have gotten. I was a big Autococker guy and now you can get them for next to nothing. Although I assume if I show up to a field with an old school 'cocker and VL2000 I'd probably get laughed off the field!
Old 06-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Also, does dye still make some of the best barrels around? I know boomsticks were huge when I was playing.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Generally most people either stick with the stock barrel on high end markers, or get some sort of kit for bore sizing (freak,deadlywind which takes freak inserts) Personally with paint as small as it is these days Id look into the Eigenbarrel. Theyre around $30 and come in .678 and .684 which should be good for most if not all paint and less than the cost of any kit.

As far as newer electronic markers go, a used axe/etha is always a good bet. Personally Id go for an older model high end marker depending on if you like poppit or spool valve markers (Diablo Matrix being a spool from around the era you plated Angel/impulse obviously poppit) WDP/WGP/Smart Parts are all defunct, though SP is now GOG.

For around $250-$350 you could get a Bob Long Protege, Dm7, Proto M7, Angel a1s(out of business, and I dont know how difficult parts are to find) Shockers are always fun and theres tons of used parts. Then theres the Ego7. Used Axes and Ethas are also in that price range as well (used) which will have a much better resale. InvertToos and Spyder Fasta loaders are affordable but still perform as well and reliably as high-end loaders.. From what Ive deduced the fasta loader is a pinokio loader rebranded for Spyder.

I use Ninja tanks/regs and theyre generally accepted as a high quality American manufacturer. They used to manufacture Crossfires cylindors before they brok off from eachother.

Softgoods are going to be up to you, Im still using a JT Flex, but Im picking up some Sly Profits this weekend.
Cottontail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychOfMSE View Post
I was a big Autococker guy and now you can get them for next to nothing. Although I assume if I show up to a field with an old school 'cocker and VL2000 I'd probably get laughed off the field!
No one laughs me off the field... actually quite the opposite
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Electro: 07 Borg, 06 Borg or DM3...maybe a Timmy or a Droid

Mech: Blazer or any cocker, Evol is my fav or a Merlin Works

Pump: CCM S6, S6.5 or T2

There are a ton of options in your price range.

Welcome back.

Barrels:

Deadlywind with freak inserts if you have a closed bolt marker.
Dye still makes a really nice barrel, I love their Ultralight and now they have 680 backs
You can have almost any barrel drilled out for freak inserts
Old 06-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Range Human

AKA Fan
I was in the same situation a couple years ago. Just go with what you know. Get a nice cocker, mag or two and have fun!

If it's green, I want it
RainOnYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Go 'Hawks!

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychOfMSE View Post
Although I assume if I show up to a field with an old school 'cocker and VL2000 I'd probably get laughed off the field!
Oh God no, that wouldn't happen. I've been playing for two years and just recently bought my first "new" gun. Everything I've owned was made a minimum of 5 years ago, and I've never had problems

Go into the mech B/S/T. Lots of people are selling, buying, and playing with older mags and cockers still.

Victis Honor

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Nemo Malus Felix
Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Licensed idiot

BUY USED.

Paintball was a sport before it was a business.

B-17 feedback
B-17 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport