mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 09-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I might have worked in side arms... But it was already tried with .43 caliber - didn't take off. KEE tried it with .55 caliber. - didn't take off. Heck didn't work with .50 caliber when it came out originally in the 1980's.

.60 caliber eventually failed.

The .63 caliber football shape never took off either.

the .80 caliber from Brass Eagle was a flop.

WHY????????

Where to fields make money? Paint sales. What's the best paint? Fresh paint.

Now why would a field waste money, hold some odd calibers that very few use, eventually sell it, to only get bad mouthed for having old bouncy paint? I mean, hell, I hear that complaint about standard .68 caliber paint if it's been sitting for a month.

It doesn't make sense for a field to even bother with the odd sizes. It's why they all fail eventually. Not enough market to have fresh. You don't want to bother with old paint, so people ditch the odd calibers back for .68

Everyone keeps trying, but you just can't get around that one fact. It's a waste of money for the fields to keep odd sizes in inventory. It will go old, people will complain about the paint, and the field will get a bad name for something that's not really their fault. There's just no market. So the best option for them is to not carry it at all.
That makes sense. Didn't realize the range and the lack of breaking was a problem with the .50.
Lightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
omfg i just had a huge idea.....ready for this........

50cal first strikes

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Freelance Aphorist

CCM Fan
Not to hijack the post, but why did .68 cal develop at the premier caliber? (Of course with recent paint shrinkage, maybe we should say ".67 cal!")
Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

Something about the 68 cal just seems to be the perfect size for paintball. Its not so big that it will not fly far, and its not so small that it doesn't break and doesn't ... fly far.

I wonder if it was thought out, or its just what they decided to make the paintball. After all it was originally designed for marking trees and livestock.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with anything other then 68 cal.

My Feedback
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootho View Post
Not to hijack the post, but why did .68 cal develop at the premier caliber? (Of course with recent paint shrinkage, maybe we should say ".67 cal!")
IIRC that the encapsulating machine dies @~.68 caliber already existed when they first came up with the idea of a marking gun for cattle/trees/etc... No need to make special tooling for a new [limited volume] product. I remember bath oil beads that fit into my paintguns. So the guns were designed around the .68 caliber size not the other way around.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
IIRC that the encapsulating machine dies @~.68 caliber already existed when they first came up with the idea of a marking gun for cattle/trees/etc... No need to make special tooling for a new [limited volume] product. I remember bath oil beads that fit into my paintguns. So the guns were designed around the .68 caliber size not the other way around.
Lol i've always wanted to shoot a hopper of bathbeads in a game.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
Lol i've always wanted to shoot a hopper of bathbeads in a game.
Hah, wipe all you want, the ref will still smell you.

I figured the 3357 owners should be relatively happy, they have a paint supply. I guess all of the stock class players already know it, but just because you have a pistol doesn't mean you want to have to get up close on your target to get a break. The pistol would be cool, but not the performance. I can't see getting something like a DRV to have the paint break about as often as a goblin shot.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
Radical!

.50 cal finding a home with the new JT Splatmaster line seems to be a good use of the ball size, as a precursor to paintball and the .68 cal. Better to build up from it rather than try to offer it as an alternative.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore View Post
.50 cal finding a home with the new JT Splatmaster line seems to be a good use of the ball size, as a precursor to paintball and the .68 cal. Better to build up from it rather than try to offer it as an alternative.
Although the same exact task could have been done with .43.

On a side note FSR seems to be doing very well for a non standard paint, perhaps due to how well they work. The football paintballs were before I started playing, I actually heard that they worked...well. Has anyone here had any experience with them?
"The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid ever, because this is just a ride." And we ... kill those people." - William Melvin Hicks

newfangled feedback transporter link

Swoop body b2k4 Bushmaster for sale
Kmak is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport