mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   New To The Sport (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/new-sport/)
-   -   Pump newb looking for winter gun tips. (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/new-sport/222046-pump-newb-looking-winter-gun-tips.html)

Karnokr 12-28-2012 01:24 AM

Pump newb looking for winter gun tips.

As the title says, I'm a pump newb. Got my first pump this summer, an Empire Sniper. This weekend will be the first time using it in the cold and snow. Are there any good tips or tricks I should be aware of? I will be using my Reloader 2 hopper to take it easy on the paint. What about barrel bore? I'm afraid if I go too small it will increase the odds of barrel breaks, but too big I get roll outs (which I can deal with for the day). The paint is Polar Ice. All suggestions will be appreciated.

Hawkeye20 12-28-2012 01:35 AM

Don't use Co2.

Chrono a second time during the day to make sure the cold isn't messing with your velocity in any way.

As for barrel bore worries, try to find the perfect fit. If you can put a paintball in the barrel, turn it vertical, and it doesn't roll out, but at the same time you can blow it out with your breath fairly easily, you have a good match.

Patar 12-28-2012 01:59 AM

oooooooh Polar Ice.......

I used the paint ONCE (it was free from a friend who had a deal with a friend from a paintball shop)...... Dunno if it was the rain or the dimples but my shots were flying all over the place...

ANYWAYS, unless you're using like a really small barrel you won't have breakage problems I think. .682 is usually my cutoff really, perfect to stop rollouts and have yet to get any barrel breaks from the bore size. Usually from double feeds/pumps. So yeah, keep your pump hand steady and consistent, keep your fingers warm, and as hawkeye said chrono a few times throughout the day to make sure the cold isn't messing with stuff.

thumper 12-28-2012 07:08 AM

try to keep your paint warm and out of the weather as much as possible. forget co2. forget the pods.. try hopperball and keep all other paint out in the warm. buy paint in small quantities. split boxes/cases w/ buddies.

Law 12-28-2012 08:06 AM

Bring a barrel swab on the field and just expect a couple of barrel breaks during the day, the few times I tried polar ice it didn't seem to do any better than any other rps paint.

MEDuck 12-28-2012 08:21 AM

My advice from playing with a phantom without detents for a few years:

Learn to walk around without a ball pumped, and when you come up to shoot, pump one in. Your barrel bore match matters much less, and there is no need to underbore which means less chance of breaking paint. It is, however, a hard habit to break.

At the last big game I went to (Fall West Point) polar ice was favored over marbs, so you might be in luck.

T-T 12-28-2012 08:33 AM

If it gets REALLY cold then grease can gum up an start playing hell. But really the only place you should have that in a pump is the reg and recharge rate shouldn't matter that much.

As others have said keep your paint warm. Also, ice had success ubdeboring with fragile paint as long as I've made an effort pump smoothly.

Keebler 12-28-2012 08:45 AM

There isn't a barrel in existence that is too under bored. Essentially just buy the tightest barrel you can find in that thread type.

sniper97 12-28-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patar (Post 2574317)
oooooooh Polar Ice.......

I used the paint ONCE (it was free from a friend who had a deal with a friend from a paintball shop)...... Dunno if it was the rain or the dimples but my shots were flying all over the place...

ANYWAYS, unless you're using like a really small barrel you won't have breakage problems I think. .682 is usually my cutoff really, perfect to stop rollouts and have yet to get any barrel breaks from the bore size. Usually from double feeds/pumps. So yeah, keep your pump hand steady and consistent, keep your fingers warm, and as hawkeye said chrono a few times throughout the day to make sure the cold isn't messing with stuff.

I used Polar Ice a few weekends ago and will never use it again. It sucked....I could not hit a opposing players full head at 30 ft. Mine did not have dimples the seams looked really nice, the balls are oblong. Bore with the seam horizontal then bore with the seam vertical and pick a sizer inbetween (this is your best chance for success). If you bore based on the smaller size, you will probably be underboring too much. Good Luck!

noclue119 12-28-2012 10:51 AM

You should take a look at the Paint before you buy it. This way you know it is not dimpled. Sizing crappy paint is pointless.

You should also not buy Polar Ice for a cocker based pump. I can shoot premium in 30 degree weather out of my pump. YMMV.