mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 05-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
King of the clueless

New here.

How's it going, I'm not completely new to the paintball world but I'm not to attending events.
I will be attending the Oklahoma D-Day event this June.
I will be trying to buy an A-5 w/ Flatline barrel at some point.
Couple of my friends and I will be doing some practicing before this event.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a marker?
I've used the A-5 before and I like those, they have decent distance and are reliable.
I'm looking for something that is a decent distance shooting marker but nothing that's 100 yard shot.
Thanks!
I'll also be on the lookout for a "sidearm" like a TiPX pistol.
23_hellfox_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Ahhhh distance. There's a can of worms. Any normal paintball gun shooting normal paint will shoot the same distance as any other if they are chrono'd to the same velocity. Flat lines and apex's do add distance through backspin, but they do so at the cost of accuracy. Also the velocity is very low once it gets out beyond the range of non- backspin paint, so the usability of the added distance is debatable. In my opinion, the main benefit of the flatline is its flat trajectory. There have been times when I have been taking fire from a flatline but couldn't return because the arc of my shot was to high and there were bushes or structures in the way.
As far as 100 yard shots, you will only see those with first strike rounds.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarakian View Post
Let that be a lesson to all you criminal types. Don't steal old and unique paintball gear. We are the market and we will find you.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
King of the clueless

That's good information!
My marker will have to be chrono'd to 300 for this event so if you think I can get 30-50 yards from that I will be solid.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a marker and a sidearm for the mildly "budget conscious" person?
Old 05-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Welcome to MCB.

Do you think you can introduce yourself a bit more on your play style, as well as what is your budget? Have you try playing with both a regular gun and a side arm before? If not, I would suggest that you focus your budget on one gun instead of 2.
pk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've played for over a decade and never had a sidearm. Tippmanns are great markers to start with. FreeEnterprise here on the boards has a flatlined (and apexed) A5 that he is a real wizard with. Honestly, you can't really go wrong with the marker, as long as you know what you enjoy doing and keep it in mind while buying. The BST forums here are a goldmine for used markers. Buying used is great because you can sell it for similar pricing if you later decide to get something else. Buy a good mask with thermal lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
I came into this thread looking for paintball advice and now I think I want to be gay. Thanks, MCB.
My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
King of the clueless

That would help wouldn't it? Haha.
I have played both styles, with dual markers and with single.
I have played quite a bit with buddies in wooded areas and done some minor "scenario" type things.
I would say my budget for marker is going to be about $400 (whether that be for 1 or 2).
I actually hope to within the next year or so, be able to attend some of the smaller competitions the "speedball" but that is a whole other thing I'll get into haha.
Is that enough?
If not I will try and provide more.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
I would suggest that you jump on the tippman in here:

Gearbag Sale. Brass & Wood, Electric, Mech, Gear.

you can always add accessories if that is your thing. That marker allow you to play in both mech and electronic mode, and is price nicely. With the extra fund you can pick up a TPX or a decent hopper.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
King of the clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkyleofearth View Post
I've played for over a decade and never had a sidearm. Tippmanns are great markers to start with. FreeEnterprise here on the boards has a flatlined (and apexed) A5 that he is a real wizard with. Honestly, you can't really go wrong with the marker, as long as you know what you enjoy doing and keep it in mind while buying. The BST forums here are a goldmine for used markers. Buying used is great because you can sell it for similar pricing if you later decide to get something else. Buy a good mask with thermal lenses.
Thanks for the reply!
I will look into the thermal lenses.
It's not pertinent for me to use a sidearm, I would just like to have one for whatever reason may arise haha.
What does everyone think of the US Army markers?
Like the carver and such.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
1. Buy used - much cheaper than what you are paying for new
2. If you plan to play large scenario, don't get US Army markers, you will be out gun. Also I think those guns are overpriced anyway. Don't buy any gun for the look, you probably can find a used A5 locally for about $100 if you look enough.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

The US Army markers are essentially Tippmanns. They will work fine as woodsball guns, but will be a bit large for speedball. If you are mostly a woodsballer, I'd say yes. If you are looking at speedball, you might consider other options (the enmy is pretty popular as a recommendation, but I've never used one).

Markers that are good at speedball are different from woodsball guns. You can use one in the woods fine, but bulky woodsball markers are not so well suited for speedball. I rocked my Tippmanns 98 on recball fields for years, but I'd question how well suited it is for speedball competition.

Do you want something milsim or something that slings paint like your pockets are bottomless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
I came into this thread looking for paintball advice and now I think I want to be gay. Thanks, MCB.
My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport