mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 07-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Valken proton thoughts and questions.

Ok so I am not new to the sport; I have played recreational paintball for about 4 years now and recently got into pump but I want to dabble in speedball by getting on a team
So what I was wondering; what are your guys thoughts on the valken proton for a first " real" tournament gun? I have done a lot of research and love the features on it (clamping feedneck, user servicable reg, on/off asa, on the fly mode switching, and etc) but I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on them like; " the gun wouldnt shoot out of the box" and it; " doesnt shoot well" although I dont know if it is the persons or markers fault in this instance. I have held the proton and love the length/ ergonomics of it but the knowlege I am lacking is how it shoots, is it reliable, and how is the trigger? ( because I heard it was hard to walk)
Any help would be appreciated!
First thing you want to do with your balls is keep them cool, hot balls expand, and then when your balls contract again when they cool down they dont take the same shape, so you end up with odd shaped balls. Also keep your balls moving, if your balls sit on one side for more than a week your balls start to dimple, thats not good for your balls, give your bag a shake every now and again to make sure your balls are ok.
Violenteddybear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Neat marker for sure.
Haven't shot one but looked one over: Interesting bolt design.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stick Feed Aficionado

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
I bought one for my girlfriend. I had an issue with part of the bolt assembly un-threading, but it is a decent little shooter. If you have the money though, I'd look into getting an axe instead. For the price you really can't beat the axe.

Feedback
PathFinders Paintball Team
Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Proton is one of the best E guns at its price point IMO. Nice trigger, balanced, love the way it shoots. I like its sister gun, the Mokal Aura, a tad better though.

feedback

http://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Proton is a good little gun, just be sure you get one of the new 2014 ones and you'll be set.

Only complaint was the trigger being really stiff no matter how much it was adjusted, don't know if they have changed that yet. And you will want an upgrade barrel, but you'll want to do that with just about any marker!

As for the bolt design, its just a sleeved high efficiency Ion drivetrain. BUT with the nice milled body, internal air routing, better electronics, on/off ASA, low pro clamping feedneck, tool less bolt removal, etc. Just remember you have to take the trigger out before taking the frame off and only put the trigger back in after you have the frame on the gun (I think that's what the special thing about these guns was)?
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
I love mine. However, some people complain about the PSP mode if you want a "real" tournament gun (ie. the 3 shot burst doesn't work much the same way MacDev's didn't when the Drone first came out--many just set their own ramp and live with it). I only shoot semi so I've had none of those issues.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjjackson69 View Post
Proton is a good little gun, just be sure you get one of the new 2014 ones and you'll be set.

Only complaint was the trigger being really stiff no matter how much it was adjusted, don't know if they have changed that yet. And you will want an upgrade barrel, but you'll want to do that with just about any marker!

As for the bolt design, its just a sleeved high efficiency Ion drivetrain. BUT with the nice milled body, internal air routing, better electronics, on/off ASA, low pro clamping feedneck, tool less bolt removal, etc. Just remember you have to take the trigger out before taking the frame off and only put the trigger back in after you have the frame on the gun (I think that's what the special thing about these guns was)?
Yeah I noticed that on the hustle paintball review but that doesn't concern me to much as I wont be taking it apart much anyways ( only if paint gets stuck or for maintence purposes)
Also that is part of the reasons why I am looking into the proton because it is one of the few that are autococker threaded And I already have a Ifit kit.
also does it shoot similar to the gog envy ( smart parts vibe)? Has anybody else had the problem with the psp mode ( or Is It just the older ones that do this?) because I would Imagine using it more once the team gets more serious.
Thanks for all the replies guys!
First thing you want to do with your balls is keep them cool, hot balls expand, and then when your balls contract again when they cool down they dont take the same shape, so you end up with odd shaped balls. Also keep your balls moving, if your balls sit on one side for more than a week your balls start to dimple, thats not good for your balls, give your bag a shake every now and again to make sure your balls are ok.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

One of my teammates had one...he certainly didn't have any trouble raising welts with it...but then again that boy would kick most people's arses if he had nothing but a splatmaster. It seems like a well-made gun and I like the way it shoots. He didn't have any problems with his that I'm aware of.

I did think the trigger was a bit heavy. I'm not sure which gun, if any, in that price range has a nice trigger.
Brad Quillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ok thanks guys I have gathered all the information that I need to decide to get one.. if anybody has one that they are looking to get rid of; let me know because I have a marker in mind that I would be willing to trade with.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Somebody on Custom Cockers was selling one recently at a fair price.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport