mcarterbrown.com

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 07-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Pumps:
Nelson type (hammer held to bolt by sear- when released hits valve at back)
Sheridan type (hammer held off of valve pin by sear- when released, moves forward) Uses a poppet valve- basically the cup seal in a Spyder clone or Tippmann.
MQ type
"Stock class", "open class" are configurations of tank and feed and not operating systems.

Semi-auto, mechanical
1. Poppet valve:
a. Inline (bolt, valve, hammer all in line- see Sheridan above, but w/capacity for blowback gas to recock gun) Tippmann, older Brass Eagle
b. Stacked-tube (hammer moves forward to hit valve pin, but feedneck/bolt/barrel are above hammer/valve) Spyder, Piranha, VL, VM-68/PMI-3, Raptor

2. Blow-forward
a. Automag
b. TPX, sort of

3. Automated pumps
a. Autococker (uses pneumatic slide valves to route gas to push bolt back and forth and reset trigger)
b. ATS (semi-auto Nelson)

Semi-auto, mechanical, electrically-operated
Called "sear trippers", usually a normally mechanical gun actuated by electric parts. Usually the trigger moves a switch which activates a solenoid which pushes the sear up. Ex. Piranha E-force grip, "e-Spyders", Tippmann's E-Grip.

Semi-auto, electric
The E-Volt prototype used an electric motor to compress air with a piston, like an electric airsoft gun (I think...) Not in production

Semi-auto, electropneumatic
These use electronics to move solenoids. They move a small amount of air to move components which then route a larger amount of air needed to fire.
1. Spool valve (Air is contained in the back in a reservoir. The bolt stays open, and a flange near the back of the breech area of it is an airtight 'wall'. Air normally pushes on the front end of it, holding the bolt open. When fired, a solenoid moves a small switch valve, which vents the air on the front of the flange [the 'sail'] and pressurizes the area behind it. This moves the bolt forward. The rear end of the bolt [the 'tail'] passes an area wider than itself, allowing air from the reservoir to go around it and forward, passing through the bolt and pushing the ball down the barrel. The solenoid returns, the area ahead of the sail is pressurized and the bolt opens. Air refills the reservoir)
Certain kinds of Ion bolt, DM/PM series, ??
2. Pneumatic ram?
There are one-way and two-way variants. The one-way has air pressure push it forward only, and is returned by a spring (FASOR- forward-air, spring-operated return) A two-way ram has air push it forward, and air push it back, almost like a spool.
Tippmann E-bolt, ?

3. Hybrids
The Ego and Intimidator ("Timmy"), which integrate a poppet valve somehow.

Alive since you began playing.

"But gun control isn't about guns, its about control."
Phantom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tencent View Post
I dont think its fair to group electros by valve design..

I think BST here sums it up the best.. if it uses batteries its an electro. Its the most comprehensive and explanatory summary. Breaking it down by valve design is really iffy way to break em up.
What if I MQ a sniper? LOL
Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surestick View Post
What if I MQ a sniper? LOL
Plus, many earlier electro variations still had partially mechanical triggers (like many ecockers). Plus, lots of older guns used batteries for the hopper, and shot counters.

Generally, the definition is more precise in that the trigger ONLY actuates an electronic switch, and that switch is what starts the complete firing sequence.

Years before the ZDS website I had started working on a good flowchart for general paintball architecture:

Eventually when YNDA came out with ZDS, it made my chart redundant, but it still serves as an easy way to differentiate the styles.

It some ways, the technology has became less important, now that all the different designs can all fire and effeciently. Thats different from 10 years ago when shockers were insanely ineffecient, cockers were slow, and mags chopped like crazy.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8pie2day View Post
im going to say that although pillage is somewhat correct i dont think that is what you are looking for...

people mostly covered it all except that there are a whole bunch of sub categories...

Pump:
open class
stock class
the rule breaker pump (an MQ2 pump...)
(i am pretty sure there are more things that are having to do with the valve but...)
What removes a MQ'd pump from being openclass?
Old 07-19-2009, 01:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical-X View Post
Yeah, I would imagine that a pneumatically-actuated pump like a SHO Sniper, or even a particularly well-tuned autotriggered Chipley would have more of an effect on game balance.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
Meow.

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
nothing really just posted that as a reference to a past sales thread.... and an electro pump just... doesnt seem right....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagels View Post
When face palm is not enough, you face rocket.
i8pie2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical-X View Post
PA-pumps are often debated, but I think the basic definition of a pump, used by many pump-tournaments, is the "pump" must be directly linked to a "bolt", and travel 1" with every cycle.

To me, that would include the MQ-sniper. It has the slight advantage over a regular sniper in that the pump cycle is slightly lighter, but the pump is already pretty darn light.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport