mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Outlaw / Private Fields (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/outlaw-private-fields/)
-   -   How to make a bunker out of a pallet... or 113 pallets.... (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/outlaw-private-fields/189380-how-make-bunker-out-pallet-113-pallets.html)

super_stanchy 01-23-2012 09:31 AM

How to make a bunker out of a pallet... or 113 pallets....

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...97320847_n.jpg

now how the heck should i turn these into bunkers?!

they were donated by a local woodsball team with wayyyy tooo big of hearts
(I <3 Moongobbie Bros)

how have you seen it done
how have you done it
how should i do it
how shouldn't i do it

please and thank you:)

ScrapIron 01-23-2012 09:42 AM

Depending on how much time you have to work with them.

If it were me, I'd focus on tearing them apart for the lumber. Then use the lumber to build from scratch bunkers that don't resemble pallets. I've seen a few places plant posts and then take the wood from the pallets and nailed them to the posts without any gaps.

desertT1 01-23-2012 09:50 AM

You can take one apart to fill in the gaps of another, or try to attach 2 together in a way that there aren't full gaps. With some of the scrap pieces, you can make legs and dig/bury those to keep them up. You could do 90* bunkers as well that wouldn't need legs to balance.

super_stanchy 01-23-2012 11:52 AM

ya....

anybody have any pics to get some inspirtation :D

also....
nails vs screws?

Stilgar 01-23-2012 12:07 PM

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

See if that link works for you. Explore the photos, we have lots of bunker built out of pallets like that. They work great as the frames, and if you can find anything to sheet over the gaps your are laughing!!

Slap board, carpet, plywood, anything...

minion 01-23-2012 12:08 PM

What kind of layout are you going to use them for? Are you making a field in the some woods, or using an open field? Are you looking to have like a speedball type field or a creative pallet field? Just some questions that might help bring ideas of what you're gonna do, and also to help with other people thinking of ideas for you :)

super_stanchy 01-23-2012 12:26 PM

ok....

our property is a big rectangle

its 150ft wide, 1000ft long? (length is a guess)

right now we have a 150 x 100 airball field on the corner, with a safety wall and staging on the other side

from the staging area out we have a big open field with existing bunkers

the goal is to move the airball to the other side of the staging area, and turn the field on its side so its long ways instead of width ways
then parallel to it, have the "renegade" bunkers go the length of the property, then L off and fill out the back section with a fort (to be built later)

if i can get my line on netting, the wall will come down, we will build a removeable netting wall, and put a 2nd fort at the opposite end, and have staging on the otherside of the pond

without netting, its an attack/defend and airball field
with netting it will be 2 bases + airball

i'll draw up a pic and put it up

edit!
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...35801462_n.jpg
NOT TO SCALE, but you get the idea

the goal would be to have a airball practice field, then use the airbunkers to make an extra wide awesome split field

Justus 01-23-2012 12:26 PM

Some ways that I know:

Attach two of them together to make a V. Stand the V upside down so it is self-supporting like an easel.

Attach two of them together to make an L. Set the L on its side so you have front and side protection.

On either the V or the L, attach carpet to close the gaps. The pallets act as a bunker frame.

Stack them flat, one on top of another, to make a column. This forms a more 3D bunker. Adjust the column height to your liking based on the number of pallets in the stack.

You could alternatively place one pallet on the ground, flat, and then attach four more pallets to the sides standing upright. Then flip it over. It makes a cube.

Cyco-Dude 01-23-2012 01:52 PM

back in hawaii we just buried them in the sand deep enough to support them. the pallets we used had a lot more planks though (and were heavy as hell!), so we didn't have to worry about filling in gaps. you can put them in whatever config you want; we typically used them to make forts.

tearing them apart for planks sounds like more work than it's worth; i think just covering them with something would be a lot faster and easier. i like justus' ideas; that way the bunkers are self-standing. maybe add a stake or two to make sure they can't flip or something if someone falls into one.

super_stanchy 01-23-2012 02:17 PM

i think it'd be pretty quick to pull off planks off of one of em... then add em to another, it should make a pretty solid wall pretty easily

im lookin for some configurations, layouts, etc fun stuff to get some ideas rolling

screws or nails?!