mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Having watched some tournaments over the years, sorry to say but it is pretty boring...not much of a spectator game IMO. And this is coming from someone who has been playing for a long time now. No ideas on how to address it...just stating my take on it.

Recreation is one of the first things to be cut when money gets tight. With gas predicted to continue to rise through 2011 and 2012, don't expect much relief in drawing big crowds to events.

2011 may well become the year that renegade and pump play really takes off!

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
...maybe we need to get down to just one tournament series
Old 12-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
From what I have gathered is that a big issue or problem that hurts PSP big time, is the simple fact that they dont charge an admittance fee like any other professional sport does. The NPPL realized this quick and started charging for main grandstand, when I go to the Surf City Open In Huntington Beach, the main grandstand is almost always sold out. This money goes directly back to the NPPL and helps to pay for purses, permits, etc. The NPPL has adjusted thier format big time and realized they could only support 4 tourneys a year, with two of them being in very big metro areas, Huntington Beach (SoCal) and Las Vegas. The PSP always seems to have thier tourneys in areas that are not easily accesible, they leave out a huge segement by not holding a tourney in SoCal and thus miss huge potential revnue streams. I hope the PSP can survive but I also believe the sport is better off with ONE league, further legitimizing our sport.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
The Craigslist King!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
They should bring back a mix of fields instead of just one field per tourney

Could you imagine current pro players on

Hyperball-Airball-Mounds-Woods!!!

AWESOME!
this should happpen. PSP stand for paintball sports promtions right? I don't see why there isn't a PSP scenario/woodsball league.

Quote:
2011 may well become the year that pump play really takes off!
There is no doubt this will happen with all the manufacturers puting out pump guns.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
Oldschool veteran

This one is for you p8ntninja-
It doesn't matter where you hold the pro tournaments, the revue streams will follow because all of the major companies will throw cash that way. What PSP needs to do is seek revenue from outside the paintball world. Energy drink companies, X Games sponsorships, and footwear endorsements is where they should be looking. Unfortunately, no one will want to get on board with paintball until those who play serious tournament style paintball change their attitudes toward the rest of the non-paintball/non-tournament playing world. If they would stow their attitude and play the damn game with some pride and honesty, maybe, just maybe corporations outside the paintball world will take notice and start sending a few bucks our way. It all begins with us as paintballers. We need to give people a reason to want to watch us and participate in our events.

Hrm, doesn't work as well as "the man with the golden gun".

Feedback thread- http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Party like its 2005!

Send a message via AIM to DFSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyDood View Post
He's not begging people to give him more money, he's trying to justify the changes PSP made to the format. I, for one, support these changes.
x2. the fact is, changes have to be made to keep PSP alive. and as an old timer (meaning having played longer than most people on PBN), bringing a more relaxed sense of play/practice into the series is what paintball is all about. competition is nice, but fun is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
you win at everything forever.
(11:26:32 PM) Mayvik: PS where the **** have you been?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRaptor View Post
I love how we are more concerned with the fate of this paintball gun than we are about AIDS kids in Africa.............
Old 12-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
BigWeave I totally hear what your saying, but look at what the NPPL has done right, they had a TV contract with ESPN (did'nt last long a season or two if I remeber right...)they got energy drink sponsors anyone remeber the Bawls bunker? A ton of teams are sponsored by Rockstar and they can be found at the tourneys. The key is to put the tourneys where the people are, non-field sites. NPPL has done this and succeeded w/ the exception of Houston wich got f-ed up by Mother Nature. They held events outside of NFL stadiums, Qualcomm in San Diego, the one in Buffalo. PSP needs to branch out more and establish a stiffer rules of conduct.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
Those big name venues also were contingent upon the NPPL making a ton of money. The converse assertion could be made that doing games at big name places like Disney and stadiums is what killed off a lot of the profits. It's extremely expensive to put on games in those locations. It's nice to have and it's great for the sport's image, but there's not a very good middle ground.

You've got income coming in from outside sponsors, and the players, and spectators.

You've got huge costs associated with the venue.

The outside sponsors want the more expensive flashy venue for exposure, but they would rather not sponsor a league at all than have to pay a ton of money just to subsidize a venue because the league has to keep player cost under a certain point and the industry has it's limits. They also don't sell a lot of product at events, and so it's really only viable if the event has media coverage.

The players are on a budget and don't want to break the bank, because they can't. They are on a looser leash than the industry though.

The industry sponsors want more players, because the players buy paintball stuff, so they want to keep the entry cost down to attract new and more players. Most of them would gladly pay a little extra to help get the event in a good location with lots of exposure, but the industry doesn't have that kind of money to burn and so they can't. They can make money at the event, but the embodied cost of presenting a product at a trade booth can be extremely high.

The league wants to make the most per player and gain exposure, but they know in order to do this, they have to keep the player costs down in order to keep attendance high. That makes the industry happy so that they sponsor the league with marketing money and prize packages. THey might cut the industry guys breaks by giving them vendor space at the event. Outside sponsors, if available, can be used to pick up slack. Unfortunately, they won't pick up the check for a big name venue, and a small one isn't viable for them. Even at the best big venue, the media is very hard to draw, and so the chances are outside support is not very reliable.

It's a very very complicated equation in the economy of 2010-2011.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Old 12-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
*yawn*

Heres is my take and Its coming from a former tourny player (me).

I played in the glory days when tournys were played on fields that you actually had to walk to get an idea on how to play it. No released fields or anything like that..... and it was great because everyone was going in blind and you had to use skill not practice to make it work. The worst part of it all was when Xball introduced coaching, it took away stratagy and made it easier to play.... the guys that had gun skills and no field skills became better then guys that can do both and had a hard time adapting... (ME).

I bailed on the Xball format and played NPPL for a little bit and they got bored with the tourny scene right around 2007/8. Why?

Not because of lack of funding
Not because of coaching
Not because of field size

But......

Because the events were reffed horribly and the refs were clearly biased and where suposed to be and because once you make something that was made to be fun work it isnt fun any more and I was getting burnt out.

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
Old 12-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #30 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
once you make something that was made to be fun work it isnt fun any more and I was getting burnt out.
This is an important side of the coin too. The same could be said about half of today's video games.

Grinding is never fun, in work, games, or life.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News