mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 05-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

We'll see how it pans out. I'd rather it didn't happen but, oh well.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #32 (permalink)

Don't get your hopes up for some impending inferno consuming all of PBNation. Crowdgather got started with GenMay, which used to be the "small talk" section of the hardware review site [H]ardOCP. Genmay's still alive and kicking, so there's no reason why PBNation wouldn't either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarson View Post
3.2 mil.
  • $1.4 mill in cash
  • $1.0 mill in stock (based on the average price over the 10 days following 5/25/2011)
  • $400k to Ed based on minimal site performance
  • $200k to Ed & partners based on site performance
  • $200k to Ed & partners based on site performance improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
Just about to post this.... Beaten to it. I didn't see that coming, and I talked to John a lot over the weekend. He never said a word. You can keep a secret John. Though truth be known, I wouldn't have said anything even if he did, but he didn't...
I guarantee that if he even knew about it, he was bound by NDA. That happens well in advance of any company purchase - all extra staff/expenditures are laid off and the remainders are forced to sign an NDA.

Quote:
wait, you think they haven't long ago?

Anyway - this makes total sense. Ed got out while there was still significant value to his company. Overall the industry is down about 60% from it peak - and with MCB and TPB taking up larger shares of the interwebz of paintball now would be the time to sell.
This. Glad to see that somebody can still make money in Paintball
CrazyLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

Whenever I hear about or see these purchases of online forums, regardless of the content, by big conglomerate companies I get a feeling that possible profits are the only reason the purchase was made. It has been a growing trend for several years now that these corporations have the philosophy to turn towards the internet and puchase forums because of their online community size and the possibility to sell advertisements that cateur to the demographics of each forum.

Typically these companies do not realize that it takes alot of work to turn a profit from an online forum and that profit is almost always marginal. Online forums are not solid sources of high profitability such as making investments in companies that have large market shares such as Pfizer or Proctor & Gamble. If you want to look at a good example of making wise investments, check out Warren Buffet and his Berkshire Hathaway company's purchase history.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #34 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

Quote:
Originally quoted by CS@PbNation

In the long-term, the paintball community will benefit as CrowdGather grows and brings major, national advertisers into CrowdGather communities. This is something that has always been elusive to the sport of paintball but now becomes a probable outcome as pbnation.com becomes a part of a larger whole.
Does he mean advertising paintball to other markets or to have other markets advertise to the paintball community? Advertising to other markets is cool with me, but I cringe when I see some of the other advertisements already on PbN that have little to do with any sort of outdoor sport.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but I wonder how one-sided this will be from an advertising standpoint.

glaman5266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #35 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
turning lead into sodium? that's pure alchemy.
lead sodium titanium oxygen nitrogen is the secret formula to make your hair and penis grow shhhhh
the_chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #36 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

how long has this been a pbn banner add?

Small Business Web Hosting, Web Design & Domain Names - MarketJuice
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix01 View Post
Whenever I hear about or see these purchases of online forums, regardless of the content, by big conglomerate companies I get a feeling that possible profits are the only reason the purchase was made. *etc*

Typically these companies do not realize that it takes alot of work to turn a profit from an online forum and that profit is almost always marginal.*etc*
CrowdGather started with forums (genmay.com), and their entire market/marketshare is comprised of forums. I think they've got a good idea how to make a forum profitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaman5266 View Post
Does he mean advertising paintball to other markets or to have other markets advertise to the paintball community?
Think, "McDonalds' new BBQ McRib McGriddle" banners or interstitials. Or perhaps, "This inflatable bunker brought to you by Dorito's XXXTreme Ranch Tortilla Chips." There's simply not enough revenue to be made just from paintball companies running banner ads.

(note: IGN is a gaming news site)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc Zox View Post
I highly doubt that banner is a direct contract with PBNation. That's probably a channel-driven ad banner from whatever upstream banner engine PBN is currently using. Any deals that come out of the CrowdGather deal won't take effect for several months at least. PBnation's been running ads from outside banner companies for years now.

Last edited by CrazyLittle; 05-25-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #38 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLittle View Post
Think, "McDonalds' new BBQ McRib McGriddle" banners or interstitials. Or perhaps, "This inflatable bunker brought to you by Dorito's XXXTreme Ranch Tortilla Chips." There's simply not enough revenue to be made just from paintball companies running banner ads.
So we're going to see the opposite (more companies advertising in the paintball market)? Don't we see enough of that already? Or is it going to be a wash?

I'm probably reading too much into this.

Last edited by glaman5266; 05-25-2011 at 03:31 PM.
glaman5266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #39 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
So we're going to see the opposite (more companies advertising in the paintball market)? Don't we see enough of that already? Or is it going to be a wash?

the idea is that the company buying forums is trying to conglomerate enough forums into one bunch that he can leverage that to increase the revenue from the ads sold there.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:

More companies that have nothing to do with paintball, buying up ad space on "internet forums"... one of which happens to be PBNation. No we don't see enough of that.

Nobody outside of paintball gives a crap about paintball, and that is the problem with trying to do anything ad-supported -IN- paintball... There's simply not enough interest and of those that are interested, there's not enough money.

Quote:
the idea is that the company buying forums is trying to conglomerate enough forums into one bunch that he can leverage that to increase the revenue from the ads sold there.
There are several interviews with the CEO of CrowdGather where he explicitly mentions this as one of the goals.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News