mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 05-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #81 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
I don't know about you guys, but I personally won't be using them like most people think they will be used.

Rather than using one zetamag and flipping it right away, I'll most likely use one side of all of my zetamags, dropping each into my dump pouch after use, then using the other side of each mag.

Anyone else planning on doing this?

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #82 (permalink)
\m/ (><) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL17E 76 View Post
And while you are reloading after 7 I am moving/charging with the last 3 in the mag?

because carrying 3 mags with one in the gun to get the same 70+ rounds instead of the bulk of the 10+ isn't simpler to find the room?

or let us just suppose if you find "flipping the mags" to be a more time consuming process you just go ahead and swap your 10 rd for a second 10 rd without the flip.
Either way utilizing half the mag or the flip I would still have a numerical advantage in both mag capacity and less bulk to carry the same amount of rounds over 20. And it seems they are FSR ready
You may still have 3 in the mag, but if you missed with those (like you did with the previous 7) I am going to have 7 more ready to go. There's not much advantage, I really don't see one.

And as far a bulk goes, don't forget, with those 10 7rd mags loaded up I carry no tubes, just a belt full of mags and a dump pouch. The muscle memory for the actions of grabbing a new mag while dumping the old one is already there. Or at least it was at one point!

You could do all the math, I'm not really interested in what is right or wrong in this case. I am just sad that the mag needs to be flipped. 10 in a straight stack would be preferrable, especially if it was able to be loaded by tubes without any other device necessary.
R_Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #83 (permalink)

It's been fun lurking in this thread the last few days. Most of the initial things have been answered but let me elaborate some on the ZetaMag design.

One misconception I'm seein is people not getting that the Zetamag is essentially two 10 round magazines for the price and volume of one. You add about 3/4 of an inch to allow for the detent that wouldn't otherwise be there, but I'm sure that isn't going to bother anything at this scale. So it's like having a 10 round magazine, but then you have another 10 round magazine right there!

If you drill for fast reloads and plan ahead and have a spare mag in-hand, then I'm sure you can do a trigger to trigger mag change faster with a traditional magazine swap than a zeta-flip. But a few things:

First there's no-one saying you have to flip a mag first; I could see someone using their zeta-mags like traditional magazines by emptying one side, loading a new mag, and then once they have shot the front-row of all mags coming back and double-dipping on the 'back 9'

But I have been doing mag drills where I flip the mag, and I can go trigger to trigger at least as fast as I could hope to with a regular mag change.

Second, for players with limited mag storage space, a Zetamag is awesome as it packs nearly 3x the paint into the same slot. Yes you need a longer pouch but a Fazmag or other open-top pouch should be good to go. Less mags to loose, less mags to load.

Lastly the detent on these mags has been much improved over the stock mags. Let me say that no, there isn't enough clearance for a 10-round tube to act as a stripper clip, which is a good idea but would have been problematic tubes being too short, too fat, to work well. In all I think you will find that grabbing the magazine and pulling down on the new detent to be vastly improved over an original mag that offered no easy way to pour paint from a 10 rounder. It also retains paint and first strike rounds excellently. I cannot see many situations where a ball will come free without intent, it takes a lot of shock load to the mag to eject even one ball (only managed it once), whereas a slight bump will dump the contents of a Tru-Feed.

I know that the original mag still has its place, and I will not be throwing mine out: but they are no longer my primary mags.

Last edited by hipboyscott; 05-14-2013 at 01:24 PM.
hipboyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #84 (permalink)
I got 99 Problems

How about we all put our e-penises back in our pants and accept the fact that some people have a want for magazines like this, and some people just want to use the old style.

I could care less which one my opponent or teammate uses, I just like that there is an option out there now in this style.

I look forward to fondling one, or at least getting a detailed look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #85 (permalink)
\m/ (><) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipboyscott View Post
First there's no-one saying you have to flip a mag first; I could see someone using their zeta-mags like traditional magazines by emptying one side, loading a new mag, and then once they have shot the front-row of all mags coming back and double-dipping on the 'back 9'

But I have been doing mag drills where I flip the mag, and I can go trigger to trigger at least as fast as I could hope to with a regular mag change.
Good point, didn't think of it that way. So what about the dust boot, do you drill removing that and replacing it as part of your reload, or run without it? I suppose if the detent works that well you don't need the cap if you can keep your mags out of the dirt.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #86 (permalink)

I havnt been playing with the boot as I never had production boots during early testing so I'm used to running without them: however it's designed to be something you can knock off fairly readily and can be done in the same motion as releasing the follower. There is also a lanyard hole and I plan to use a short elastic tether to link the cap to the pistols lanyard hole, so that I always have a boot at the ready and don't loose them all.
hipboyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #87 (permalink)
Post Whore

I was definitely carrying the wrong picture in my head. After talking to Angel and reading this over again I get it now.

My 10rders worked like this:

Though I remade the follower and ordered delrin blocks to put in place of the rough plastic.
So I can see the space for the other stack. Interesting!

I'm even hungrier to get my hands on one of these. God forbid anyone should ask poor old agentSmith to try one out! What do I know....

That's ok, I'll get my own soon enough. If these are roughly the size of my 10rders, then without changing or moving a single thing on my rig I could take the field comfortably carrying 30 of them in pockets and on belt. 600rds, that's just sick.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #88 (permalink)
\m/ (><) \m/

If you want to drop $750 on new mags to carry half a bag plus of paint, good on ya.

The more time I spend thinking of these new mags the more I am intrigued. Is there any pics or a video of the reloading process? I want to know more about this rod you need to reset the follower.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #89 (permalink)
Son of War

Now we need the FXR to make an appearance. This plus that is cool with me.
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #90 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut SD View Post
Now we need the FXR to make an appearance. This plus that is cool with me.
Milsig has been dropping more hints as of late, seems like a good sign to me.

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News