mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 11-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31c View Post
on a side note, why does Firefox keep insisting it's "paint ball" and not "Paintball"?
Easy fix.
Just right-click it and click "Add to dictionary."
Old 11-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I realize the perps are probably not even "paintball players" as we understand them but this will most likely affect us.

I hope something can be done for this woman and if someone sets up some kind of fund for her (apprently she is very poor and has no health insurance), I'll be happy to donate some money.
Cromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
C4 Founding Member

Send a message via AIM to BLC_Misfire Send a message via MSN to BLC_Misfire Send a message via Yahoo to BLC_Misfire

My team is working on getting something together to help this woman out. We've just started working on it, but one of the members works in a bank so we'll have an account set up.

Another one of our players has contacted a reporter from the Denver Fox affiliate and she will be getting us in contact with area law enforcement so we can combine our efforts.

I'm trying to work something out with a field that is fairly close to Longmont to put together some kind of charity event. I'll probably be the one working on the game as I have the most experience with those kinds of things. We aren't sure yet what we want to do, but I'm leaning towards a 10 round tube game.

We will try to get donated prizes from area stores, and hopefully larger companies as well, to have a raffle.

I'll try to keep you all informed on our progress as things move along.

BLC is the team, Misfire is the name...
BLC_Misfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:48 AM   #24 (permalink)

My take....

This sort of thing just torques me off to no end. I'm going to have to put up with further regulation (maybe, someday) because some idiot can't control himself. I think not only should these kids get a public beating, but their parents too. I feel they did not do their job since the litter of their loins is out causing trouble. Some of the things that I've heard from these situations irritates me even more...

Boy's will be boys...
They were only having a little fun...
They didn't mean to hurt anyone...

WTF!? What happened to being responsible for your actions? It's just like many moon ago I worked at a bowling alley (Green Mountain Lanes in Lakewood, CO in fact). My little brother's senior class just happened to pick bowling as a senior event. So they came down and were bowling during an evening that I was working. Well there were these 2-3 girls that kept going outside to their car. The chaperone finally figured out they were nipping on a bottle of something in their car. The girls were given suspensions. Well, this happened to be during finals and with such timing, their transcripts would be held up. I guess some of the mothers raised a big stink about it because they felt their little darlings shouldn't have a "little mistake" possibly screw up the kid's life....(oh yeah, sucks to be you, you only got into CU instead of USC...bit deal) Do these parents realize their kid was breaking the law? That they could have gotten somebody killed driving under the influence?

This sort of thing makes me glad that I'm as old as I am, that I don't have to deal with the regulation that kids have now. Especially since this regulation comes from STUPID people. We live in a time that has ppl giving you a verbal flogging for offending anyone in anyway, yet are the first to duck when it comes to personal responsibility (and by extention that of their kids) When they pick up kids, they should be made an example. My Dad told me a long time ago if the police picked me up, I was gonna spend some time in their care since I should have known better to do whatever. I didn't go out looking for trouble, and as such I have little sympathy for the kids that find some. (I do feel somewhat sorry for the parents of those kids that drank themselves dead, I don't think they realized they raised an idiot)

I hope the woman comes out of this okay, and bears no ill will to us that play within the law. I hope she can understand that she wasn't the victim of a paintball attack, but the victim of punk with too much time on his hands....

Catchya on the Flip Side.....

Emerald Wolf -- once bought a Zap-200 at Gart's to more or less keep it from these guys he'd over heard talking about doing drive by shootings (thank God the one I was looking at was the only $20 gun on the shelf and everything else was much too expensive for the casual miscreant) <>
Emerald Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Keep us updated on the donation thing Ian, I might talk to a few people localy and se if we can send some stuff over from the western slope.

Al
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
C4 Founding Member

Send a message via AIM to BLC_Misfire Send a message via MSN to BLC_Misfire Send a message via Yahoo to BLC_Misfire

OK, the team has made the formal announcement on the website. http://www.blacklightcompany.org/news/

We're still working on details, but this will definitely happen.

BLC is the team, Misfire is the name...
BLC_Misfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

As a person who tends to not play at official fields, and uses alot of cheap walmart guns for loaners, I would have to disagree with the contention that age restrictions, cheap guns, and only proshop/profield places to play is the way to fix this.

First off, these guys were driving, they were at least 16, most likely older.

IN Wisconsin, the DMV has actually taken steps limiting the number of under 18 kids in a single car. They've found that that age group is most likely up to no good when in a car togther, and have since placed restrictions and curfews on that age group.

Let's face it, stupid kids get stupider when they are hanging out together. Parents, and law makers need to realize this and know that kids need supervision, especially the 14-18 year olds.

Whe I was a kid it was BB guns. Punk kids did that sort of thing. I even had a friend when I was 16 Flash a sawed off shotgun at someone who cut us off in traffic when there was a carload of us kids. I couldn't believe it, and I was just thinking how busted we would be for that, but nothing happened, then kids get bolder and bolder and stupider and stupider, and then that same friend got nailed for armed robberey, and spent 5 years in a state penitentiary.

This is an old old old story that has repeated itself many times in history.

The way to solve it is for society to come down hard on th eindividuals, and the parents, and frankly even the kids who are with them.

My dad always had advice for me about stuff like that. If things start looking like trouble, you had better not be there when the trouble happens. I was informed, that after he had let the cops get done with me, I wold be facing much worse from him.

People need to follow up when they see kids grafitti-ing, vandalizing, or any other things like that, because that is where it starts. When they think no one notices, or that they can get away with it, that is when they really start becoming idiots.

The solution is, when you have kids, scare the crap out of them about you catching them doing something stupid like this. You can't control others parents, but you can vot about laws, and make sure we don't turn this into a nanny state, instead of stringing up perps and making an example of them in order to terrify the rest out of thinking of doing things as stupid as that.

I thought that the US did the biggest disservice to the kid in Singapore who was goign to get publicly caned for grafitti. The US shoudl have said, go ahead, We wish we had made a law like that too. Maybe we will.

INstead, we went on trying to keep them from beating this poor kid, who just made a mistakke.

I say public humiliation would work best on this age group.

It has very little to do with the tool they have selected for the job, much more to do with thinking they won't get caught, and even if they do, it won't be that bad.
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
ex-cyborg

Send a message via Yahoo to melkson

Brass N Wood Fan
I agree in part. Restricting the access will most likley make no diffrence. If lawmakers wish to pass laws to deter this kind of incident, simply make the parents just as criminally liable as the minor. If little johnny breaks the law, big johnny is in trouble too. And I don't mean a petty fine. Community service at the MINIMUM, and maybe jailtime on the weekends or such.

$.03
melkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
I agree in part. Restricting the access will most likley make no diffrence. If lawmakers wish to pass laws to deter this kind of incident, simply make the parents just as criminally liable as the minor. If little johnny breaks the law, big johnny is in trouble too. And I don't mean a petty fine. Community service at the MINIMUM, and maybe jailtime on the weekends or such.

$.03
________
You can't hold someone responsible if you do not allow them to take responisiblility. The other cause to this in my oppinion, is that parents aren't allowed to actually really take this on.

My dad would've beaten me sensless, and made me repay anything needed, unfortunately, nowadays, child servicies would step in and take the kid away from his parents, then there'd be nothing left for the parent to be able to do.

We've got to make some fundamental changes in how we deal with parents and parenting as a society.

All of the utopian psychobabble things they have been feeding people about esteem, and nonviolent raising of kids is hogwash, one should have expectations, one should be fair, but one should also be strict.

A parents' job is not to be thier child's best friend. Thet can come later when they grow up and it isn't your job to make sure they don't do something stupid.

While it is your job, you should be able to do it, and do it well.
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Nelson View Post
You can't hold someone responsible if you do not allow them to take responisiblility. The other cause to this in my oppinion, is that parents aren't allowed to actually really take this on.

My dad would've beaten me sensless, and made me repay anything needed, unfortunately, nowadays, child servicies would step in and take the kid away from his parents, then there'd be nothing left for the parent to be able to do.

We've got to make some fundamental changes in how we deal with parents and parenting as a society.

All of the utopian psychobabble things they have been feeding people about esteem, and nonviolent raising of kids is hogwash, one should have expectations, one should be fair, but one should also be strict.

A parents' job is not to be thier child's best friend. Thet can come later when they grow up and it isn't your job to make sure they don't do something stupid.

While it is your job, you should be able to do it, and do it well.
I do agree with alot of what you have to say here. But as a parent, you can't always be there to guide/protect/restrain. My kids only 3 right now and probably doesn't understand some of the things he does. I do my best to be fair yet I am strict. non-paintball related he has had some incidents at pre-school already which make me worry for his future only slightly cause after all he is just 3. But I have seen how he can get around other kids. Usually other boys - they feed off of each others energy. I can only hope that he has good friends that will know the differance between right and wrong- Because that's the other half of the equasion in raising kids. Peer pressure is very powerful and they're friends play a large roll in they're lives as well. You can do your best to pull the weeds but they're called weeds for a reason, they pop up everywhere and where you least expect them.
Some parents just don't give a crap and that's where our society fails. You get those crappy parents having 1 piece o'crap kid (victim of his upbringing of course) and that Rotten Apple will spoil the Bunch (as they say)
Idiots are idiots and when they travel in Packs......well you get the picture. And the whole suffers and scrambles to create laws that are supposed to stop the idiotic/stupid behavior. But Morons don't obey the law- and unfortunatly us regular citizens do and are further manipulated by the laws that were created for the stupid.

Sorry - I think this made sense.... but I'm not totally sure and don't have time to re-read it. So there's my .04
Demonio is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News