mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 11-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
LR4 vs PS Elements 12

So I consider myself a basic user and operator of my Rebel T3 but I would like to get a little bit more out of my photographs than what Picasa will allow. So after to talking to a few friends who shoot and do good amounts of post production on their pictures, two options have been suggested.

Lightroom 4 or Photoshop Elements 12

Lightroom 4 is showing about $105 and Elements 12 is on sale on Amazon now for $76.

So for someone who would like to work on white balance, shadows, etc...not high end user manipulation, what would you guys recommend?

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM CHICK View Post
I say to you with love in my heart... your a whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
mrmag11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
So for someone who would like to work on white balance, shadows, etc...not high end user manipulation, what would you guys recommend?
for this, I would say LR4
well worth it for sure!

but also I have never used elements so keep that in mind
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've never used Elements only Lightroom and CS Photoshop. I've used Lightroom 3&4 and played with the beta of 5. As for Photoshop I've used Photoshop 7 as well as CS3-6. I've also used Picasa and Gimp. Honestly Lightroom and Photoshop are two very different programs in my opinion. Then again I started out in photography developing film by hand and spending hours in a darkroom to create what takes minutes on a computer, so my opinion may be skewed compared to others.

The biggest reason to use Lightroom is if you shoot in RAW. It will allow you to make great images of otherwise useless shots. If you shoot in JPG then Photoshop will be of more use to you. Lightroom is far more about tuning your image rather than creating it, whereas Photoshop is far better for digital creation. As I said before they are different programs geared towards different tasks, I personally have both installed and use both for all of my photography. I shoot in raw and process with lightroom, export a jpg to photoshop for final post production before I get a finished product.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I just shot in RAW for the first time, and plan to do RAW+JPEG for some stuff going forward. Thanks for the input so far!

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Quote:
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmag11 View Post
I just shot in RAW for the first time, and plan to do RAW+JPEG for some stuff going forward. Thanks for the input so far!

RAW+JPEG is a nice safety line but I would highly suggest
just shooting RAW. (I wish some one would have made me do it from the start)
one reason is size and space on your card, RAW files are HUGE compared to JPEG
so if your shooting both you are limiting your space, unless you have multiple cards.

esseprometheus, is correct LR4/5 will make some under exposed/over exposed shots useable and have saved my *** on many occasions.
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

I used Photoshop 8->CS5 in terms of color balancing etc. Lightroom, but I find the clone, heal, dodge and burn tools in Photoshop better than in Lightroom. I use both for editing, sometimes I only use Lightroom and other times I use Photoshop for resizing and/or minor editing.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
The Photoshop you guys are referring to, is that the full version? I was thinking of Elements, which I hear is a stripped down version of the full PS.

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Elements is a very stripped down version of photoshop, but still highly useful for light editing.

For general work with photos where you are not doing highly complex tasks that involve a major overhaul in the image (Cloning stuff out, merging multiple images, complex skin editing, etc.) then lightroom is generally all you will really need. Pair it with GIMP or something else if you do find the odd time you need a light pixel editor but not excessive complexity of the edits.

Big thing about lightroom is that the editor is not even half of its power. The real power of lightroom comes far more in the organization and sorting of images.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I've heard a lot about the catalog feature on Lightroom. I don't even know what I would catalog

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pew pew

CCM Fan
You would most likely find all that you need in PS elements.

Lightroom is more of a complement to Photoshop CS in my opinion, a tool to catalog and develop images much like a standard dark room used to be.

BPM
Blue Swede is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography