mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 01-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fully Stocked

Thought's on Panasonic Toughbooks....

Hi All....

Well I'm looking for a new laptop for work, my Old Dell finally decided to take a much earned vacation Many of game and alot of work it lived a good life....
I'm looking for a replacement now.. I'm intrigued by the Panasonic Toughbook from years of reading about them, I just haven't had a chance to test drive one... I'm no where in the market for a new one,but decent used one is with-in the budget..
I'm mainly on construction sites with it ,it will see a fair share of dirt and dust and the occasional (Oh SH*#&$) I'm liking the ability to see the screen in direct sunlight because from time to time I'll may be outside with it...

Over the past 10 years I've been through 3 Dell's and all have impressed me and served well... I'm still eyeing the Dell D820 ... But just wondering if anyone has used or tried these panasonic's....

Thanks for any input.... Jimmy La

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretG View Post
A KL is like a samuri sword and should reflect the soul of the owner.
Quote:
We came up with a plan... it involved a hijacked truck, two strippers, and lots of brass...
Latoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latoolman View Post
I'm mainly on construction sites with it ,it will see a fair share of dirt and dust and the occasional (Oh SH*#&$)
Toughbook is what you want!
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nerd=Geek

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
From what I've read, Panasonic makes great, sturdy lappys. Haven't checked lately, but I remember back when I was looking, 2-3 years ago, there was a complaint that they used to get really, really hot since they didn't have direct venting because of the case. That's the only bad thing I heard, but again, it's 2-3 years old. I'd bet dollars to donuts that they've fixed that.

Andry : )

Proud member of The Peacekeepers, UMSG JTF7, Rogue Cell #12 and CCABB

My Feedback Soft and Hard gear F/S! Got cigar tubes?
CrazyBoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
One of my buds uses one on the job (nuke plants, oil rigs, and other such places) and had one knocked off a lift 15ft to the ground, opened, no problem.

Another one dropped 2ft to the ground, onto an exposed PCMCIA wireless card, and is now toast because of the internal dammage.

(I think they needed a tougher network card :lol: )
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Toughbook

I work for the phone company and I have a Tough Book. Pretty darned rugged and durable. Touch Screen is nice too. Survived being knocked off the tailgate a few times, slide off the console, and general knocking around.
Verbious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

The President of the University I work at just loves them. He's had 4 in the past 5 years, not because they've worn out, but he likes to get a new one every year just so he has the latest model available. Of course, he goes for the W-series, which are of the ultra-small, ultra-lite, subnotebook variety. These are actually "semi-ruggedized", so they're not as sturdy as the fully-ruggedized Toughbooks. Still, as the name implies, they're tough little buggers. It seems, though, that they're no match for an absent-minded and often careless college student. As the President gets a new one, the old one goes to his daughter, who I swear could destroy a solid block of stainless steel. She's killed 3 of them (along with a Sony Vaio, two Dell Latitudes, and don't get me started on the PDAs & cellphones she's ruined). Most often, the cause of death has been liquid spilled into the keyboard ("What can happen if a glass of milk gets spilled on the keyboard? Is that a bad thing?" - an actual quote), but the most interesting one was the time that her dog (a little white Pekingese that I call "bloodfang", I think her real name is "cupcake") "attacked the power cord" and managed to snap off the corner of the machine where the power port was.

Sorry to get off-topic there...but yeah, make sure you get the fully-ruggedized version. They're heavier, a bit slower, and probably pricier, but well worth it, IMHO...

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fully Stocked

Awesome!!!!! thanks for all the input ... and the stories

So.. 4 1/2 Yah .... 1/2 Nah ... I can deal with that.. Guess i'm shopping for a toughbook....
Nice thing since it's for work, it doesn't have to be a speed demon and as long as I can run XP Pro or 2000 Pro I'm set.. ~30gb Hdd
I found a few places that have parts and upgrades so that's a plus....

Jimmy La

Quote:
A KL is like a samuri sword and should reflect the soul of the owner.
Quote:
We came up with a plan... it involved a hijacked truck, two strippers, and lots of brass...
Latoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
And if you buy it for work and use it there.. you can deduct all or part of the cost ^_^

Did it with my lappy.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thats what we use on the ambulances at my service, we have two versions on each truck, a traditional laptop and a tablet. We have very little problem with them. If you want to see if its sturdy give it to a EMT a Cop or a Fireman.
medic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Nocturnal

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
We've been using them in our cruisers for several years. Considering they get exposed to nearly 24 hrs a day of constant vibration, bumps/bangs, lid-slams and fat fingers, they've held up well. The only problem we had early on was the AC/DC converters for permanent mounting in the cars were known to fry early. We had a ton of spares on hand, courtesy of Panasonic. However, there hasn't been any problems recently. Probably just a bad batch. And, if you're not using a permanent converter connection, there's no problem at all.

My MCB feedback
LUKE is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in