mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 02-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Counting Calories

Glad to see this section!

So, what are you doing to cut calories? Last summer I was 220 pounds and dropped to about 185. Had some medical issues and started with drinking pop again so I'm back up to about 200. At the start of the year I tried cutting the pop again but I decided to just cut it except for the weekends, and watch my calorie intake. Down to about 195 right now. We'll see. Having to sit behind a computer for 6 hours a day doesn't help.

Share your stories of your methods to keep it off/get it off.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
I went from 300 lbs in May 2008 to 200 lbs in May 2010. I am now down to 185 lbs or so and I have added a lot of muscle.

I started by really just watching what I was eating, and using Spark People to count caloric/nutrition intake. I basically just cut down to about 2/3rds my previous intake and stopped snacking as often. I was not eating unhealthy before, just too much 'good' food.

Add to that working out 5-6 days a week, cutting out soda and such, and restricting booze intake. I lost my first 30-40 lbs by just walking, light weights, and being more active in general.

Right now, I don't really watch calories anymore. My body is used to consuming what it should be, and I really need to stuff myself to go over my maintenance caloric intake. I need to make sure I am getting enough protein, though, as I am doing more lifting than cardio.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Texas Rush - Pump Player

I eat a lot of bars and stuff. Kind of like the 5-1, 3-2-1, etc type plans. I keep a bunch in my bag. Each ranging from 70 cals to 190. I eat the bigger ones twice during the day and a couple of small ones. Keeps me in the ~700 cal range. Then for dinner I cook something with red meat because I crave it pretty hard.

Leaves me with an end total at about 1200-1300 cals at the days end.

Some don't agree with the method. I sub in oatmeal in the morning sometimes (like 140-180 cals) and fish for lunch (90 cals) but it is so convenient I can't really slip up. I always have a bar right there to curb cravings/bad thoughts.

It's taken about 2 months but I've dropped 14 lbs. Slow and steady
Shawn_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fruit juice has some nutrition to it though. For weight-loss though, I wouldn't drink any calories.

Best thing for me to count calories was ditch the useless **** in coffee/tea. Coffee and tea really don't have any calories in them... or a cup of coffee is like 4cal. But as soon as you add sweeteners and creamers that stuff adds up really fast.

I try to keep my coffee black (which is my favorite way to drink it anyway) and I only put honey in green tea when I'm at school, if only to get some calories in it.

I think it's really important to count calories. If you get swept up in cardio and weight loss and healthy eating, it's actually pretty easy to not eat ENOUGH.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Psychopath. :D

Send a message via AIM to Legato

I have been using the MyFitnessPal app on the my Droid X to monitor my calorie intake for the last month. I can scan any barcode and it will pull up all the information from the nutrition facts and track them all for me. I have a set amount of calories i want to intake a day and this greatly helps monitor them. THey have over 30,000 foods in their database, and if it is soemthing without a barcode like home cooked chicken you can search for that and get a general idea on the counts to add to your total. Nothing that goes in my mouth is not on that list on my phone. I keep it updated at all times and can always see where i am. If you don't have an Android they just have the ability to use the app online at myfitnesspal.com. I love this app

I was 272 on Dec 18 when i saw my doctor before what was supposed to be surgery. Now a little over a month later by just monitoring what i am eating, changing my diet over, and busting *** at the gym i am down to 242.6 lbs. XD About 15-20 lbs to go. XD
Legato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Uticus

I dropped from about 270 to 220 this fall. The biggest thing I did wasn't so much counting calories but measuring and writing down what I was eating, and when. Found this to be helpful in realizing what foods I was eating too much of (especially for snacks). The other thing the helped me was recording the amount and time of exercising I was getting
Uticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

To maintain the weight the best way is to count the calories that
you intake in a day, it will also help you in fat loss.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

I just get up a 4 in the morning and do an hour of mixed cardio and 30 mins in the bowflex..........it seems sleep is a waste of time
Old 03-03-2011, 05:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Spoken.

Only drink water, and drink lots of it. snack healthy every two hours. take protein supplement. hit gym for 1 hour 5x a week.
Stuff for sale
Nike+ Sportband/sensor
Quitting Sale
Jdaddy615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

The best way to maintain your weight is to eat plenty of saturated fat from animals and limit carbohydrates to fruits, vegetables, occasional legumes and very occasional grains. Two servings of grains per day max. In fact, this is also the best way to lose weight.

I counted my calories (to maintain weight) every day for three months and while this is a valuable weight loss tool, I eventually became a slave to calories. I agree the human body only needs X amount of calories, but going a bit over or under several times a week will not hurt you. The real key is to eliminate starches entirely and to limit whole grains.

Basically eat a **** load of protein and healthy saturated fat (eggs, milk, beef, pork, chicken, fish) and vegetables and fruit. It's what your body was made to consume.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in