mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Post your gym workout plan (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/152063-post-your-gym-workout-plan.html)

JLuke 02-23-2011 07:15 AM

Post your gym workout plan

Just wondering if anyone out there would be willing to post their workout schedule aka. which machines, now many reps and sets..etc. Im trying to get back into weights and such, problem is all ive been doing at the gym is running alot and im not sure where to start on the weights, theres just too many machines there to split between all of them, i really dont care much about leg exersizes, i can leg press more than enough, just chest and some of my upperbody is lacking.

I have major problems when two hands are involved with lifting weights (bench press, 2x dumbells) my balance with them sucks, i can jump on the bench machine to try it out and do 150-200 pounds ok for about 8 to 10 reps but when i jump on just the regular free weights im lucky if i can manage 100 pounds.

Just hoping this thread can mabey help eachother out with exersize plans, im seriously having a hard time staying motivated, i can only manage about 2 or 3 weeks at the gym before i spaz out and have to do something else like video games again or something lol.

Mar 02-23-2011 02:24 PM

Chest

Flat bench 5-7 sets
Incline Bench 4 sets
Decline bench 3 sets
Cables 3 sets

Back

Wide grip chins + weights 5 sets
Bent over barbell rows 4 -5 sets
One handed close grip chin-ups with assist 3 sets
alternates: dumbbell rows
seated rows (cable)
pullovers (machine)

Shoulders + biceps

Dumbbell flys 6 sets
Upright rows 3 sets
Shrugs 4 sets

Preacher curl 6 sets
Dumbell curl 3 sets
Barbell curl 4 sets

Triceps

Dips + weights 5-7 sets
Skull crushers 5 sets
French press 3 sets
Tricep Pulldowns 3 sets

alternates: close grip bench
close reverse bench press

Legs:

Squats 6 sets
Leg extensions 5 sets
Calf Raises (standing) 5 sets
Hamstring curls 3 sets
Leg Extensions 3 sets

Alternates:
leg press
hack suat

Crimson Death 02-23-2011 03:35 PM

A while ago Mar had asked me for my workout routine so I figured I'd just post it here for public consumption.

Week #1

3 sets of 10/8/max (usually 4-6 reps)

Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday

Chest
Flat Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Press
Pullovers

Back
Chin-Ups (I do as many as I can at a time and stop at 50 total reps)
Deadlifts
Bent-Over Rows

Legs
Squats
Lunges
Leg Curls
Standing Calf Raises

Monday/Wednesday/Friday

Shoulders
Seated Dumbbell Press
Upright Rows
Arnold Press
Dumbbell Lateral Raises

Lower Back
Straight-Leg Deadlifts
Good Mornings

Biceps
Standing Barbell Curls
Preacher Dumbbell Curls

Triceps
Weighted Dips
Seated Dumbbell Extensions

---------------------------------

Week #2

Sunday Chest

Flat Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Press
Pullovers
Dumbbell Fly
Peckdeck
Cable Crossovers

Monday Back

Chin-Ups (I do as many as I can at a time and stop at 50 total reps)
Deadlifts
Straight Leg Deadlifts
T-bar Rows
Bent Over Rows
Seated Row
Good Mornings

Tuesday Legs

Squats
Lunges
Leg Extensions
Leg Curls
Leg Press
Hack Squat

Wednesday Shoulders

Seated Dumbbell Press
Upright Row
Arnold Press
Shrugs
Seated behind the head Barbell Press
Lateral Raise
Front Raise
Rear Raise

Thursday Biceps

Chin-Up
Standing Barbell Curl
Seated Dumbbell Curl
Preacher Dumbbell Curl
Preacher Dumbbell Hammer Curl

Friday Triceps

Weighted Dips
Skull Crushers
Seated Dumbbell Extensions
Rope Pull-Downs
Rope Overhead Extensions

mxmtl 02-23-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLuke (Post 1705254)
i really dont care much about leg exersizes, i can leg press more than enough, just chest and some of my upperbody is lacking.

Leg press is too easy. Even at 5' 6" and weighing a buck fifty, I can press 10 x 45# plates on each side for reps. I try to avoid the leg press unless I'm doing a high volume program where I can lower the weight because the reps are high enough and rest between sets is short enough. I hate loading (and unloading as a courtesy) that many plates.

Quote:

I have major problems when two hands are involved with lifting weights (bench press, 2x dumbells) my balance with them sucks, i can jump on the bench machine to try it out and do 150-200 pounds ok for about 8 to 10 reps but when i jump on just the regular free weights im lucky if i can manage 100 pounds.

How long have you been lifting? It takes practice with free weights. Don't be too proud to start out with lighter weights until you get the balance down.

Quote:

Just hoping this thread can mabey help eachother out with exersize plans, im seriously having a hard time staying motivated, i can only manage about 2 or 3 weeks at the gym before i spaz out and have to do something else like video games again or something lol.

I feel like going to the gym maybe half the time. I dread it the most on leg day when I've got a high volume workout with lunges. Motivation is a personal thing. It's how bad you need to work out. I've got health issues that appear when I don't work out, and my family history of heart disease and diabetes keeps me motivated. It's negative motivation, but it works for me.

I get positive motivation when I visit sites like SimplyShredded.com, but that doesn't get me into the gym on those days when I don't feel like it. Imagining myself overweight, my body hurting from statins, having to stick my hand to check my blood glucose, daily insulin injections, and having to pass on Pizza, Beer, and Krispy Kreme donuts the rest of my life gets me into the gym. :)

Changing your weight lifting program every 4-6 weeks will help. I get real bored with a program any longer than that. I've only gone as long as 10-12 weeks before I *had to* change it because I was bored to tears.

gainman 02-23-2011 05:22 PM

if you dont have some leg routines in your workout you are not working out properly and WILL platauex (sp?) hard. the squat alone works 70-80 percent of your body in one excersize. If you want to get stronger, you should be doing simple effective compound lifts.

SQUATS
deadlift
military press
bench press
PULLUPS
cleans

people waaaaaaay over complicate their lifting routines like the stuff posted above and dont advance except maybe a tiny bit. sorry for going off on a tangent.

put AT LEAST squats into your routines!!!

Crimson Death 02-23-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gainman (Post 1706138)
if you dont have some leg routines in your workout you are not working out properly and WILL platauex (sp?) hard. the squat alone works 70-80 percent of your body in one excersize. If you want to get stronger, you should be doing simple effective compound lifts.

SQUATS
deadlift
military press
bench press
PULLUPS
cleans

people waaaaaaay over complicate their lifting routines like the stuff posted above and dont advance except maybe a tiny bit. sorry for going off on a tangent.

put AT LEAST squats into your routines!!!

I do squats, deadlifts, standing barbell press, pullsups and bench press 4 times in 2 weeks.

yuik 02-24-2011 01:28 PM

For pure strength on a cheast day I would do 3 exercises at most 3 sets of 4-6 reps at the max weight I could do . If at the end I felt like I could do more I dint do enough weight.

Everytime it would be a different routine

I did
Decline bar and dumbbells
Incline bar and dumbbells
Flat bench
Flat bench flys
Flat bench overhead
Reverse incline ( amazing and most people font do
It )
Cable flys & press
And the only machine i would do was smith machine flat bench

criticalhammer 03-01-2011 12:49 AM

As a person who is very active in marshal arts I try and stay away from weight lifting, especially using machines as IMHO feel it would just make me muscle bound. The free weights I do use I use more on my legs, neck, and lower back (I have a bad lower back). Mind you what im looking for isn't pure muscle but more endurance and flexibility. At 145 lbs and a small frame bulking up would just be silly IMO. But this is my routine when I can get it in.

20 or so minutes of stretching. The key is doing it slow and holding for a while.

4 x 25 pull ups
4 x 30 push ups
4 x 35 sit ups
4 x 25 parallel bar dips
4 x 30 parallel bar full leg raises (slowly bring your legs parallel to the bar)
4 x 30 lunges with 2 25 lbs dumb bells
4 x 25 squats using 2 30 lbs dumb bells
3 x 10 100lbs dead lift

Run a 6:30 or better mile. If I make it then I do another mile at 7 minutes. If I make that then do a 7:30 mile and so on.

All in all I like it. It gives me what I want and that is the ability to throw my weight around as best as I can.

tencent 03-01-2011 01:57 AM

This would be a better thread in the members section =/

My work out plan is really just paintball on the weekend at full speed. Definitely not the greatest but it keeps me sore monday and tuesday (play on sundays)

David 03-03-2011 03:06 AM

I am beginner and start my workout right now. I think these gym workout
is perfect for the muscle building and get strength.