mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 11-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #1151 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Quote:
I just got done with a battle with my IS-8 a bit ago. I started the battle hanging back until the heavies on the other team were spotted. I moved up once they bunched up in a corner. I crest a small hill in front of the enemy heavies to take a shot and....hit in the back by a friendly M40/43. He did something like 1700 damage to me a set me on fire. I died about a second later.
So that sucked. If there was a rage quit button I think I would have slammed my fist down on it.
I've been guilty of this on at least on occasion playing arty and been on the receiving end more that I would like. Most often on the hill in Himmelsdorf.

The problem, which you are probably aware of, is that if arty behind you is aiming at an enemy tank on the other side of the hill you may be in the line of fire. Unless your ally arty is really paying attention to his shells flight path he probably doesn't even see you. The arc of the shot is so close to the curvature of the terrain there's very little ground clearance.

As far as gold rounds go, I'll just have to take your word for it Drum. I just noticed that since they made gold rounds available for credits I've been getting penetrating hits in areas that were almost guaranteed bounces before. For example, I used to be able to hull down in my Pershing with just the turret showing and unless someone hit the hatch I was pretty safe. Now I routinely get shots that go through the mantlet. That's a lot of armor to punch through at tier 8. And try as I might I cannot do the same to other tanks with standard AP ammo.

So I aim for weak spots and use AP with a few HE tossed in for arty and glass cannons.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #1152 (permalink)

So I was starting to get excited when they announced they'd be putting in a new tank with a "mythological reputation" on cyber Monday. I was hoping for the Firefly Sherman; but of course it's not. Just the KV-220, which looks to be a slightly buffed KV-1.

Needless to say, I'm not buying anything WOT-related this weekend.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #1153 (permalink)
Marathoner

Incynr8 wound up on my team in a Random Battle. It shocked the hell out of me.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #1154 (permalink)
I'll shoot myself anyway

I actually had a decent day with my T30 yesterday. I am finally beginning to understand how to play that thing...
Get a taste of religion: lick a Baptist!
WebFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #1155 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthunter View Post
So I was starting to get excited when they announced they'd be putting in a new tank with a "mythological reputation" on cyber Monday. I was hoping for the Firefly Sherman; but of course it's not. Just the KV-220, which looks to be a slightly buffed KV-1.
The KV-220 looks, from what it says on paper, like a nerfed KV-1. The pen on the gen is about 20mm less than the KV-1's top gun. About the only thing you get with that is a health boost of about 100 points. Armor seems to be about the same. Yeah, unless you love grinding your Russian heavy crews in premium tanks, I see little point in getting that one.

And after doing some basic research on the Firefly, I would be excited to see it in WOT. Considering it does have quite a bit of history behind it in action in WWII, you'd think they would have put it in the game, possibly at the tier 6 or 7 level. Looks like that 17 pounder that was historically mounted on it is a tier 7 canon in game.
If they were probably going to introduce it as a premium, I would think WG would make it a tier 7 or 8. I would think it would probably fill the role as a glass cannon. Wikipedia said there was no extra armor or mobility upgrades to it, besides the 17 pounder. So basically you'd be playing an M4 with a sweet canon. Could be worth it.
Well, until then, we can always dream.
krupasjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #1156 (permalink)
MCB Member

I just started playing this Saturday. WICKED FUN!

I'm still trying to figure out stuff, and naturally getting greased pretty easily, but I have managed to get me some Tier II tanks and get three kills in a game.

Look for me "Fred_Narley".
Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #1157 (permalink)

On the note of the firefly, I think it'd have to be tier 7. The other tanks that have that gun (a few TD's and the TOG) are tier 6 and 7. It also doesn't have the alpha damage to be tier 8.

Anyway, after a maddening streak of bad luck in my Centurions, I went over to the dark side and started playing arty again. The tier 4 French arty is actually pretty fun. AMX-105-AM, I think it's called?
Reasonably mobile, accurate gun that can deal damage, good rate of fire: it's kinda fun to do the trolling rather than being the one constantly trolled by enemy arty for once...

Edit: and to The Shootist, welcome aboard. This game is fun, but it will eat all your money if you let it. (Not that this site is devoted to another pastime that can be equally money-hungry...)

Last edited by Nighthunter; 12-04-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Nighthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #1158 (permalink)
The Furry Tailed One

If you can play it right Nighthunter the FV304 is even better... it is... Amazing ask anyone that has seen me play with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaluvr View Post
Skiddish is an Elliot Spitzer, if you will.
Most people don't know that skittish is the proper spelling for "jittery". Don't believe me... Look it up.
skiddish9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #1159 (permalink)

I haven't been terribly impressed by the 304.... I mean they're annoying to get shot at by, but getting hit by one isn't the end of the world.

Unless.... unless they're platooned. A platoon of those tiny scumbags is one of a very few things that can put me into a frothing rage... Getting hit by a shell from one of those things every +/- 5 seconds is maddening because as soon as I repair one module, I get hit again and lose another one (or the same one again.)
Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #1160 (permalink)
The Furry Tailed One

It's really good when you knock out tracks and they have slow repair... I've hit people that couldn't repair tracks and just keep dropping shells on them where they're supposed to be... Eventually knocks them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaluvr View Post
Skiddish is an Elliot Spitzer, if you will.
Most people don't know that skittish is the proper spelling for "jittery". Don't believe me... Look it up.
skiddish9999 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in