mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Post-Gym Hell? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/173866-post-gym-hell.html)

Kermit 08-25-2011 06:20 PM

Post-Gym Hell?

Anyone else experience this? I had a HARD workout last night working my thighs and calves. I can hardly walk without feeling like my legs are going to rip off.

If I work abs, my abs hurt for two days. If I do legs, legs hurt for two days. So on, so on. Working to hard, or does this just mean I'm doing enough?

And I'm good on water intake and all that jazz.

desertT1 08-25-2011 06:22 PM

That's normal. Give it about 2 weeks and you'll notice that you are still a little sore after, but nothing like what's going on now.

Deuce 08-25-2011 06:32 PM

It's all part of hitting it hard. There were numerous occasions when I was doing wrestling and football that I literally had to be carried out to the car after doing legs. Make sure you stretch and stay hydrated. Heat, Ice, and Motrin do wonders as well as do deep tissue massages if you're so lucky. Abs weren't an issue back then, I worked abs daily actually. Now might be a different story though, I'm a little soft in the middle these days. :D

mxmtl 08-25-2011 06:44 PM

It happens every time I change lifting programs, or when I've come back after a month or two due to life happening.

Assuming you are doing weights, do you drink a post-workout shake? If so, what's in it? It might help you to have some glutamine in there.

Kermit 08-25-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce (Post 1978448)
It's all part of hitting it hard. There were numerous occasions when I was doing wrestling and football that I literally had to be carried out to the car after doing legs. Make sure you stretch and stay hydrated. Heat, Ice, and Motrin do wonders as well as do deep tissue massages if you're so lucky. Abs weren't an issue back then, I worked abs daily actually. Now might be a different story though, I'm a little soft in the middle these days. :D

That's encouraging LOL

Did legs yesterday. Can barely walk.

slinger 08-26-2011 12:22 AM

Yep, go away after a while.

I stopped lifting this summer due to laziness, and i'm not looking forward to lifting weights again during the school year, (well, I amlooking foward to lifting, but not the soreness)

k3nDinio 08-26-2011 01:17 AM

Have to get your protein intake to help with muscle recovery.. Heals faster if you have enough proteins in your body

Bradys71 08-26-2011 09:31 AM

Also potasium will help with the soreness, so bananas and cranberrys are your friends.

Greenmtnphantom 08-26-2011 09:45 AM

Believe it or not one of the best things you can drink after a workout is chocolate milk. The combination of fat and protein help with muscle regeneration. Potassium is also great for cutting soreness and preventing cramps. If you are doing workouts before dinner I suggest leaving the skins on the potatoes as they have a huge amount of potassium in them (the skins) I also like peanut butter and banana sandwiches around a workout.

Kermit 08-26-2011 01:45 PM

Great advice Greenmtnphantom, I'll keep that in mind. I hate Banana's with a passion, but I'll start eating more of them. Well I've decided that I'm going to take the evening off of gym, I'm literally so sore that if I walk across the room my legs get so tightly cramped that it hurts to walk any more. Walking to class this morning was a trick.