mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 04-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
OnTarget Photography

CCM Fan
So im going to start saving for a upgrade...

Im going to start putting a little away each week to upgrade my camera. Its going to be a while before I have enough, given I make very little a week, but im just thinking ahead
Now point behind this thread...best dslr in the $1,200 range? Im looking at the 7D and D7000. I would actually like to pick up a D7000, but then I would need to get a new lens as well sine im currently using Canon. So the 7D is the most likely option right now. I want weather proofed, magnesium bodied, high fps rate, and high ISO options. I like everything about my 60D, except those 3 things.

So your opinions are appreciated
jtusa181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

Well, as a Nikon shooter myself, and a D7000 owner. I'd say the D7000. But, the main reason I shoot Nikon, is I've been shooting Nikon for 15 years. I have so much invested in glass, that switching to Canon doesn't make any sense to me. If money is an issue, I'd go 7D and keep your glass. Unless you can get a good deal on a kit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I was looking between the 60D and the 7D myself and I went with the 7D. I also put a battery grip on it.

I have been VERY pleased with the camera. It is a sports camera so it focuses very fast, the processor is insanely quick, the burst rate is really good too. If you are looking to upgrade then don't hesitate with the 7D. Unless you are going up to a 1D it is, in my opinion at least, one of the greatest cameras Canon has made.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
DEX
Girlfriend of ApoC_101

What are your reasons behind switching over to Nikon?

I went from Canon to Nikon myself, but for all the wrong reasons. (Nothing to do with the cameras themselves, let's just say.) The Canon 7D is a solid camera, and I don't think you'd be disappointed. You can always sell off your lenses (not too sure how invested you are) and put it towards Nikon if you like but I honestly don't have any brand loyalty... In the end, a camera is a camera.

I'm considering moving towards full frame and leaving my digital Canon gear altogether. (Keep in mind, I still shoot film with Canon but only on occasion.)
DEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Does the 7D have actual weatherproofing? I thought the official word from canon on it's sealing was, "Well...it's sorta sealed, but not really."
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Weather resistant, not sealed. I've used it in the rain before without issues.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Shadow knows!

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtusa181 View Post
Im going to start putting a little away each week to upgrade my camera. Its going to be a while before I have enough, given I make very little a week, but im just thinking ahead
Now point behind this thread...best dslr in the $1,200 range? Im looking at the 7D and D7000. I would actually like to pick up a D7000, but then I would need to get a new lens as well sine im currently using Canon. So the 7D is the most likely option right now. I want weather proofed, magnesium bodied, high fps rate, and high ISO options. I like everything about my 60D, except those 3 things.

So your opinions are appreciated
I've got just what your looking for for sale and take credit cards !

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/p...a-battery.html
Ninjamitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
OnTarget Photography

CCM Fan
I would if I had the money right now
jtusa181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Yeah, the D7000 is one option. Canon's plastic bodies (even the 5d Mk III) aren't going to compare to the build quality of the Nikons. Although if you're planning to wear the thing around your neck all day...you might think twice!

Anyway, Nikon has some pretty decent glass now for the DX sensor in the normal and tele ranges. Heck, the plastic $200 35mm 1.8 DX is what I have on my DX camera 80-90% of the time...it just works.

The downfall of the DX lineup (for now and for the foreseeable future) is true wide angle perspective. There's the dinky plastic $900+ 10-24mm AF-S...yes, but it is not particularly robust, so the fact you bought a more durable camera is kind of moot.

If you REALLY want to have a good time, keep the canon stuff digital and go get an F5 and shoot film with older AF and AF-D lenses. The F5 is a beast--probably the toughest 35mm camera ever made...and you can get all kinds of nice, pro-level AF lenses for it for nearly nuthin'. An F100 is also an option...although it has the plastic rewind fork that is yucky...

If you're shooting in snow or other conditions that are challenging to cameras, you just might be glad to shoot film which handles blown out highlights better anyway! Just a thought...
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dive Dive Dive

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
First I would say look at both companies lens lineup and see which matches what you like to shoot. Then go out and hold each body you are interested in.

Then I would say if you can wait a few more months until Photokina both companies will be releasing a few more models to update their lines. Along with some new lens if you care for those too.

If you do decide to get either the D7k or 7D you will not be disappointed with either!
It like the CCM version of Two Girls One Cup.
I will ban folks.... I swear.
TF

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
worrptangl is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in