mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 04-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Deep View Post
Walmart, Target, et al. are going to have poor QC. Chances are nobody has been running control or emulsion tests, so colors and density will be janky as hell. Kodak labs apply a base set of post-processing to every image as well (A fixed contrast/brightness "enhancement" plus sharpening, I guess to help offset most people's crappy SOOC pictures).
Pretty much been my experiences with any big box store or with hole in the wall photo (in Asia...) development places. Nothing but poor experiences.
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
OnTarget Photography

CCM Fan
All pics I have done through walmart had terrible quality. Like it has been said, shutterfly. Also bayphoto is another good one to use.
jtusa181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Devil Dog

Send a message via AIM to ballyhoo33 Send a message via MSN to ballyhoo33

Big box stores are hit and miss. A grocery store chain here in Iowa has online photo services and their output is horrible. Same with Walgreens. Conversely, a local Wal-Mart uses a decent lustre paper and their photos come out looking great. I've learned from trial and error where to go locally for cheap quick prints. I sent the same files to each store and now know where to go.
ballyhoo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thanks for all the input everyone! I figure I'll do 10 or so prints at a few places for a test sample and go from there. If I have any results or feedback I will let everyone know.

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM CHICK View Post
I say to you with love in my heart... your a whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
mrmag11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
A Pirate's Life for Me

CCM Fan
I'll get behind WalMart's online photo service. My wife and I had them print our wedding invitations. We designed it ourselves, I built it using Inkscape+GIMP, then had them print up 50 or so to send out. It was a great success and everyone loved them.

Wish I had a picture of one, I'd show off...

Oh, also, we generally use them for prints for all of the photos in the house. Same process. I pre-process the photos, send them off via the online service, and pick them up on the local store. A lot of our prints in all of our frames, save one, are from this process. It's been a great success so far. We've also used Walgreen's online service with success.

And no, I never go into a store to do any sort of photo submission or scanning. I should also point out that I never use the online tools for cropping, color correction, blah blah blah, that these companies provide. I do all of that on my local machine and then print them as-is. I find online tools like that mostly useless.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Devil Dog

Send a message via AIM to ballyhoo33 Send a message via MSN to ballyhoo33

If you find that your local places aren't cutting it, there are several very good online sites. I've used whcc and acilabs for years. I rely on these labs for weddings I've shot. They are typically 20-40% higher, but they also stand behind their product and print on quality paper.
ballyhoo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

I've had issues with Wal-mart. I've used the self serve machines and found that no matter how great my original pics were, the prints came out grainy.

I also had an issue with some smart *** techy punk behind the counter who didn't believe me that i took the pics of my kids because the EXIF file said it was shot on a Nikon D7000 and had my email address embedded in it. I had to go to my car, get my camera and show him my drivers license so he could see my name/email address was mine.

I've had good luck with Staples. Little more pricey than Wal-mart, but i like the quality of the prints better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmag11 View Post
Thanks for all the input everyone! I figure I'll do 10 or so prints at a few places for a test sample and go from there. If I have any results or feedback I will let everyone know.
I've heard great things about Adorama's printing service.

Target seems to be a better bet than Walmart. Costco is my favorite printing service. I just mark my print job "no autocorrections" and they do not apply corrective adjustments. Sometimes that means I miss the white balance slightly, but I asked for it!

The issue with doing a test run of 10 from each is there's no guarantee your next job will look the same! Good luck. For serious prints you will keep a long time, pay extra and go online.
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Where are people going for their larger prints, 8x12s up to maybe 20x30s? I'm hoping to get at least two or three shots over the summer for wall art, but not really sure what would be best for printing and shipping to Canada.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

Digital Print Sizes | Mounting & Finishing Options | Pricing ? Bay Photo Lab
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in