mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 06-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Just falconing' around.

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
DSLR shopping

Well, my old canon t-70 is great, but films getting expensive. So naturally I'm looking into digital however I'm noticing a trend I don't like. Seems everything now days has to have flip out screens, 1080P video capeability and a bunch of useless features I don't want mucking up my camera. So what should I be looking at? I pretty much want a film camera that uses a memory card instead. Something that I can use for night photography or whatever else. Also I've taken a liking to a D40 I used for a "Final exam" in gr 12 highschool, so maybe a nikon would be nice.
"Hey, you know how people drive cross-country in their Corollas? And then need to get their oil changed, after a straight 1200 mile drive? Yes? Now take a good look at your blueprints. See that 'cage' in front of the oil filter?
Yeah, that's the exhaust manifold.
Go die. " - Deus Machina
My Spec-ops Feedback. http://forum.specialopspaintball.com...27&hl=Gas+mask
MCB feedback (Thanks Longbeard)
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Wants thread. http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/w...ted-often.html
DO NOT SHIP A PACKAGE TO ME VIA UPS.
Gas mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
chuff chuff

What is your budget? The Nikon D3100 is a fairly recent DSLR without the flippy screen (but with video). You can find the body for around $350.

If you really don't want video at all you'll probably need to get an older DSLR, but it seems the newer ones process JPGs better and have better noise performance, which will help your night photography pics look better when using a high ISO.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

If you already have Canon glass, go for a canon

If you just want a basic, well made camera that won't have loads of features you'll never use, look at something like a Canon 10D, 20D, or 30D. Something like that is older, but it'll work really well.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
If you already have Canon glass, go for a canon

If you just want a basic, well made camera that won't have loads of features you'll never use, look at something like a Canon 10D, 20D, or 30D. Something like that is older, but it'll work really well.
This ^

ALL OF THIS....

Or switch over to Nikon for a good time
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas mask View Post
So naturally I'm looking into digital however I'm noticing a trend I don't like. Seems everything now days has to have flip out screens, 1080P video capeability and a bunch of useless features I don't want mucking up my camera.
Speaking from a Canon user myself

I'll take a rather defensive stance on this one. The flip out screen is actually insanely handy not a silly idea at all. If in all honesty you don't like it, they don't use it (it sits in place just like a regular LCD screen). Kinda useful also protect the screen by rotating it into the body too.

The video settings is a single dial setting. Can't live with having a single extra setting? If your shooting in Av or M, its on the complete opposite side of the dial.... You'll never come near it nor even close to Auto, Landscape, or Sport or any other of those silly settings.

If your interested in a basic, kinda film like experience with only relatively basic options, look at a 5D Classic. Run about a $1000 bucks used MAX. 5DMKII and III are still bloody expensive.

The one thing you can complain about digitals if unless you go for a expensive full frame camera, your going to be dealing with the crop factor.
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Most of the "extras" like video recording are really minor things that are tacked on simply because they are a natural offshoot of other more critical features. Want live view so you zoom in and check fine focus before snapping a photo? Very handy feature, especially coupled with a fold out LCD screen so you can comfortably take photos from odd angles. Recording that data to memory really doesn't take a lot more extra.

It isn't like those features take away from camera functions.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

What's your budget? Does size/weight matter to you? There are a ton of choices now.

I have a D40 among other things, and it's pretty good. However it's a tad old in terms of low-light performance and a little light on the megapixels.

The purest upgrade from a film to a digital camera may be something from Fuji. Check out the Fuji X100 -- it's basically a digital rangefinder.
poisonpill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Yes, the T70 uses FD lenses (great camera...once had a T50 and loved it).

I'd second the recomendation to get a D3100 body. The D3200 just came out, so there are deals to be had and unlike the crappy, "under-processored" D3000, the D3100 works great.

The kit 18-55mm lens is fine, although I prefer the image and speed of the 35mm 1.8 lens (available for about $200). With Nikon's BRILLIANT SB-400 flash, you have a small, portable package that should meet 99% of the needs anyone might have.

Note: the D3100 is the closest thing to a D40, as well...
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
Guys, he's got a Canon T70. Old Canon glass is not compatible with the new EOS system.

This is an opportunity to switch systems, should you want to. I prefer the user interface on the Nikons. I used to own Canon gear. Your mileage may vary so try both in store.

Can't go wrong with a D40, though it won't have a focus motor in body so you're stuck with AF-S lenses.

I'd probably go with a D70s; while it's older, you can take what you've saved on the body and buy nicer glass.

The next upgrade would be the D7000 at around $1,200. In between it's a toss up what you get. Avoid the D3000. The D3100 fixed all the bugs.
In this scenario, I'd go for a D90 body...possibly refurbished. Drives AF lenses and is better than the D70s in every way...with IQ on par with the D7000 for most uses (except high ISO)...
Old 06-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
All the above, PLUS you might want to wait for the rumored D600 to drop this fall. FX sensor, D7000 build, price range $1500-$1600...I hope!

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in