mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Every Dog has its Day
 
netsurferdude2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern MD
Send a message via AIM to netsurferdude2 Send a message via Skype™ to netsurferdude2

Selecting a new graphics card?

Hi Guys,

I know there are a few tech guys around here who are more up on things than I so I wanted to ask you all.

I currently have this card: GeForce 295 GTX
Newegg.com - EVGA 017-P3-1296-AR GeForce GTX 295 Superclocked Edition 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

There have been issues with the card and I think I've narrowed it down to either a bad card or a bad power supply.

What card would you all recommend to get similar or better performance for around $250-$300?

If you need any more details on my setup, let me know.
Thanks
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
When I worked in the county prison, all my pals among the correctional officer staff were always talking about how they needed a large(r) caliber handgun in case they were confronted by someone on "PCP" or "Angel dust".

Now... all they talk about is zombies.
netsurferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
tiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

AKA Fan
Whats your powersupply? You should probably figure out what's causing the issue before you go buy a new card. What sort of issues have you been having?
__________________
DO NOT SHIP ANYTHING TO ME VIA UPS.

New PB Nation Feedback
Old PBNation Feedback
MCB Feedback


Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
Hey - we are not "Nation"
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
CCM Photographer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny View Post
Whats your powersupply? You should probably figure out what's causing the issue before you go buy a new card. What sort of issues have you been having?
Yep. Best to do this first.

To answer your question.. There's quite a few choices out there but I would recommend the GTX 560 TI 2GB. It's quiet, runs cool, and plays everything I've thrown at it.
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bruins World Order
 
StJimmy666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Great White North (Sault Ste. Marie, ON)

AKA Fan
Second what CCM Photographer said. Make sure your PSU is putting out enough wattage first though.
__________________
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny View Post
Seconded. Hence forth this is to be the official nomenclature of marker sales. Violators will be violated.
StJimmy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ridiculous MCB Member
 
storminnorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pump Night

The new 6 series is pretty awesome. Less power consumption with better performance. They stay super cool as well. I like my evga 680 sig series but I hear great things on the 660's and there about your price range.
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Video Cards & Video Devices, 660
__________________
T2 Slot Blockers for sale.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...t-blocker.html

New S6.5 model In stock Get yours now.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...t-blocker.html
storminnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Every Dog has its Day
 
netsurferdude2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern MD
Send a message via AIM to netsurferdude2 Send a message via Skype™ to netsurferdude2

Power supply:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-C50-EMBA-D2 1250W ATX Form Factor 12V V2.3 / SSI standard EPS 12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply



My issue:
It started happening back around May or so. I would be playing a game (most likely skyrim back then). All of a sudden my game would freeze for about 10 seconds. After that initial freeze, my screen would go black and and then about 7 seconds later it would come back to the game. Back in May it would happen maybe after playing for an hour or more. Over the summer I didn't play too much so the problem disappeared so I thought.
Now (past month) this problem will happen about 10 mins into a game and even happen when watching some movies. Now if this happens twice, the screen usually goes complete black and acts like it isnt getting a signal from the card. (my monitor is saying input needed). Also sometimes after the crash happens, I get some artifacting or other glitches.


I've done multiple video card driver clean installs with old, current and beta drivers. I've disabled audio incase that was causing issues. The machine was run on all settings; high to low. When the screen has gone completely black, I unplugged and replugged the cable or switched slots. The tower was cleaned a few times. Fans are all working and air is flowing fine.
I used GPU-Z a few times to help diagnose the issues. If you want those logs, I can post them. The temps are all in the normal ranges.

One thing that is kinda pointing me in the direction of the card is on GPUZ, it monitors your GPU load as a percentage. When ever I have this freezing issue, my GPU load goes over 92%.

Normally it looks like my GPU load is in the 60-80% range but then all of a sudden, it shoot up to the high 80s and 90s which then crashes.

My guessing saying it is either a power issue or card issue. The card is either sucking so much extra power which it doesn't get or there is something faulty with the card.

This tower was built December of 2009
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
When I worked in the county prison, all my pals among the correctional officer staff were always talking about how they needed a large(r) caliber handgun in case they were confronted by someone on "PCP" or "Angel dust".

Now... all they talk about is zombies.
netsurferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
tiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurferdude2 View Post
Power supply:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-C50-EMBA-D2 1250W ATX Form Factor 12V V2.3 / SSI standard EPS 12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply



My issue:
It started happening back around May or so. I would be playing a game (most likely skyrim back then). All of a sudden my game would freeze for about 10 seconds. After that initial freeze, my screen would go black and and then about 7 seconds later it would come back to the game. Back in May it would happen maybe after playing for an hour or more. Over the summer I didn't play too much so the problem disappeared so I thought.
Now (past month) this problem will happen about 10 mins into a game and even happen when watching some movies. Now if this happens twice, the screen usually goes complete black and acts like it isnt getting a signal from the card. (my monitor is saying input needed). Also sometimes after the crash happens, I get some artifacting or other glitches.


I've done multiple video card driver clean installs with old, current and beta drivers. I've disabled audio incase that was causing issues. The machine was run on all settings; high to low. When the screen has gone completely black, I unplugged and replugged the cable or switched slots. The tower was cleaned a few times. Fans are all working and air is flowing fine.
I used GPU-Z a few times to help diagnose the issues. If you want those logs, I can post them. The temps are all in the normal ranges.

One thing that is kinda pointing me in the direction of the card is on GPUZ, it monitors your GPU load as a percentage. When ever I have this freezing issue, my GPU load goes over 92%.

Normally it looks like my GPU load is in the 60-80% range but then all of a sudden, it shoot up to the high 80s and 90s which then crashes.

My guessing saying it is either a power issue or card issue. The card is either sucking so much extra power which it doesn't get or there is something faulty with the card.

This tower was built December of 2009
What are your temp ranges while playing? Do reduced graphics settings remove the problem or do you still get shoot ups to 90% load at low settings? Your powersupply has 6 +12V rails which could be a problem at high load but you have enough wattage that I wouldn't think it would be an issue. Try reducing your settings and seeing if you have the same problems, also run a heat logger while youre playing so you can monitor your peak temps. It sounds like your card is dying, this same thing happened to me with an older 8800 right before it started artifacting.

edit: Oh also there are some fixes here, you may want to try these before buying a new card: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149006813
__________________
DO NOT SHIP ANYTHING TO ME VIA UPS.

New PB Nation Feedback
Old PBNation Feedback
MCB Feedback


Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
Hey - we are not "Nation"
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Every Dog has its Day
 
netsurferdude2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern MD
Send a message via AIM to netsurferdude2 Send a message via Skype™ to netsurferdude2

It does the same thing on lower setting but sometimes it takes longer to freeZe up.

I am writing this from my phone so I don't have the logs with me now but I think my temps were around 68*C. I can get them tomorrow.

This is also how my old 7900 gtx went up on my last build. The artifacting was much worse than this one.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
When I worked in the county prison, all my pals among the correctional officer staff were always talking about how they needed a large(r) caliber handgun in case they were confronted by someone on "PCP" or "Angel dust".

Now... all they talk about is zombies.
netsurferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
tiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

AKA Fan
If you've already got artifacting at standard temps then it's definitely time for a new card, I recently put together a rig for my girlfriend and she is able to play just about everything at a combination of high/ultra settings on a GTX 560 ti, I've also got several friends with them and they all seem pretty happy. The GTX 660 is also a great card for its price, I personally would buy a 660 as it is only a $45 difference.
__________________
DO NOT SHIP ANYTHING TO ME VIA UPS.

New PB Nation Feedback
Old PBNation Feedback
MCB Feedback


Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
Hey - we are not "Nation"
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
Jinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: WMass

Fix Your Graphics Card By Baking In Oven


If you do get a new card, try this before you throw the old one away!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
I want to put a warning in here. If you, in any way, bad talk bacon or attempt to steer anyone away from bacon, or even hint about the ethics of bacon - I will perm ban you.
TF

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Feedback
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC