mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   X-Com: Enemy Unknown (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/215884-x-com-enemy-unknown.html)

Redcon-5 10-12-2012 01:26 PM

X-Com: Enemy Unknown

Just got it last night, I don't think I'm getting anything done this weekend!

So far so good. It is X-Com but rethought, its a quicker & bloodier game.
Your Squadies Will Die, But that is X-Com.

ApoC_101 10-12-2012 03:06 PM

Yea I really want to play this game also. It looks like they did an excellent job :thumbup:

Longshot 10-12-2012 05:25 PM

Playing it now, Classic difficulty in Ironman mode (so no reloading botched missions...dead is dead for my troops).

Couple of missions in and the squad took one KIA with everyone else in the infirmary for weeks...and there were heroics involved to have that level of 'success'.

I've been psyched to play this for a long time; might have a credit on it, Imagination Studios did some cinematic work for final scenes. :)

Anyway...sleep now, then more dashing from cover to cover tomorrow.

Longshot 10-13-2012 04:53 PM

Aaaaand getting my butt handed to me by these stinkin' aliens. Lost a whole squad tonight, letting the baddies blow up a chunk of Canada and freaking out all the Lumberjacks.

You can play slow and safe, but some missions call for decisive speed...which leads to squad members in the ground.

Vegard 10-13-2012 05:02 PM

I'm dodgy about the watered down gameplay in the revamped x-com compared to the original so I have my fingers crossed for Xenonauts – Strategic Planetary Defence Simulator | Xenonauts – an indie spiritual successor to X-Com! as the true follow up to one of my childhoods greatest games.

Longshot 10-14-2012 07:21 AM

I'll have to look at Xenonauts, but don't feel (so far) that Enemy Unknown is watered down...Ironman mode at least.

Have you played it?

Off to check Xenonauts! :)

Agglet 10-14-2012 08:36 AM

It's actually surprisingly good and I'm a tough customer since I've had the original X-Com on every PC I've owned including this one. There are some changes of course but they really did capture the spirit of the original and you could tell they put in some serious classic X-Com game time while working on this remake so if you like X-Com and you don't give this game a chance you are really missing out. I checked out Xenonauts too and it looks like a good attempt but if you want a game that looks and plays like the X-Com of the 90s you can buy X-Com from the 90s on Steam for a couple of bucks like I did.

Tuff 10-14-2012 09:25 AM

Good game, but too much missing shots by your troops. Five feet away, wide open shot....MISSED. Yeah, ok. So far, my only complaint.

Agglet 10-14-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuff (Post 2503877)
Good game, but too much missing shots by your troops. Five feet away, wide open shot....MISSED. Yeah, ok. So far, my only complaint.

It works both ways though. ;)

I've had aliens miss my clueless newbies from point blank and I've had some very fortunate shots connect that only had a 10% chance of hitting. The certain shots coming up short and the 1 in a million lucky shots are one of the best things about turn based games.

Longshot 10-15-2012 08:38 AM

Well...my game went from fun to brutal in no time flat.

Spoilers ahead, so stop reading if you intend to play through yourself.

Took a good squad of 5 into Canada (again...last time was a mess) and faced an enemy that rapidly mauled my best guys, turned em into enemies that in turn evolved into the buggers that started the problem.

Meanwhile, as I spend ammo on re-killing by once top guys, civilians are being killed left right and center.

All the dead civies....rise and start fighting me too. It was ugly. 5 KIA.

The best? After losing a total of 9 good troopers defending their citizens, the Canadians refuse to fund the XCom program and descend into nation-wide Panic.

So yeah, stay outta Canada, its really in a dark place at the moment. :canada: