mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
i need some windows help

i have a windows 7 laptop that will not boot. something is wrong with the operating system so that it will not fully boot. it either gets to the point just before the login in screen and reboots to windows repair (cant repair) or it boos and BSOD's, or it comes up with an install bootable media screen (dos) and wont go anywhere.

I just want to be able to boot it up to the point where i can rescue my contacts and email and such off of it.

I would like some form or boot cd or usb drive that will allow me access to the drive and to fire up an external usb drive.

Any suggestios on a site to get one that isnt loaded with viruses or similar? other suggestions are welcome.

I cannot use my windows disk as i only have the restore disks that came with the machine. effectivelly an image of the drive not real installation media.
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

when it happened to me, it turned out the part of the hard drive that contained the actual windows software went corrupted.

if all you need is the data on that drive, a simple way would be to take out that drive and plug it into another computer as an external (or even an extra internal) drive. they sell drive enclosures that should allow you to do this. just make sure the computer doesn't try to boot from it or you'll just have the same problem.

of course a corrupted windows program is only 1 of the possibilities. the hard drive plug inside the laptop can be physically damaged (happened to my acer laptop. don't tell me yours is acer...?) worst case scenario: you better hope the drive itself isn't physically damaged...
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
when it happened to me, it turned out the part of the hard drive that contained the actual windows software went corrupted.

if all you need is the data on that drive, a simple way would be to take out that drive and plug it into another computer as an external (or even an extra internal) drive. they sell drive enclosures that should allow you to do this. just make sure the computer doesn't try to boot from it or you'll just have the same problem.

of course a corrupted windows program is only 1 of the possibilities. the hard drive plug inside the laptop can be physically damaged (happened to my acer laptop. don't tell me yours is acer...?) worst case scenario: you better hope the drive itself isn't physically damaged...
I was trying to avoid ripping it out. i have done it before, i was just hoping there was an easier simpler way

It seems to just be related to the os, as it still bopts most of the way and attempts to repair itself. itmall relates back to a faulty bluetoot stack install. i think the manufacturers website had an infected file on it. wiped the os from my drive and corrupted almostmeveryhthing else. i got it back and working with repair but it has never been the same.
My Feedback
Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
does it boot if you put a windows 7 cd in it?

if it does, theres a function in the 7 setup program to "repair startup errors" your supposed to run it 2x in a row, and that will rewrite the corrupted files.. i had this issue when i imaged a drive, it would boot fine with the CD in.. but take the DVD out,, no boot.. unfortunatley google couldnt help me, and i ended up re-installing windows (on a new SSD, figured it was as good of an excuse as any to upgrade), and slaved that drive in as a storage for the SSD (non bootable).. i tried the "startup repair" thing, but it didnt work for me.. perhaps youll have better luck.. the plus side though.. you wont make it any worse

Tracker

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
I was trying to avoid ripping it out. i have done it before, i was just hoping there was an easier simpler way
That is by far the quickest and easiest way to do it. There's usually only one or two small screws holding a laptop drive in so no offense but I don't see what's difficult about it?

Get a cheap IDE (or SATA) > USB adapter, pop it out, plug it into adapter, plug into PC USB port, copy data.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
That is by far the quickest and easiest way to do it. There's usually only one or two small screws holding a laptop drive in so no offense but I don't see what's difficult about it?

Get a cheap IDE (or SATA) > USB adapter, pop it out, plug it into adapter, plug into PC USB port, copy data.
he's a machinist. once he touches one or two small screws he probably can't stop until all the screws are out.

alternately, you can run knoppix off a cd. it's a linux that's meant to boot from portable drives. so boot that and see if you can use it to browse your broken drive for any data.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
does it boot if you put a windows 7 cd in it?

if it does, theres a function in the 7 setup program to "repair startup errors" your supposed to run it 2x in a row, and that will rewrite the corrupted files.. i had this issue when i imaged a drive, it would boot fine with the CD in.. but take the DVD out,, no boot.. unfortunatley google couldnt help me, and i ended up re-installing windows (on a new SSD, figured it was as good of an excuse as any to upgrade), and slaved that drive in as a storage for the SSD (non bootable).. i tried the "startup repair" thing, but it didnt work for me.. perhaps youll have better luck.. the plus side though.. you wont make it any worse

Tracker
no windows 7 cd, just an image that i had to make after first install.

windows repair ran 3 times no dice. the third time it ran something else ran afterwards and checked files I believe and basically said that every single file was garbage on the drive. It ran for 3 hours before I went to bed an was only about 25% done. I forget what the exact statement it was displaying was, but all of them were corrupted, not just the odd one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post

not difficult, i just really didnt want to get into it. typically anything that is "so easy" never is. "oh in order to get to that last screw you need to remove the screen". or i would need to dig out a t4 driver or something even sillier that I dont have. then there is always the chance or ripping or otherwise damaging some silly little(proprietary!!) ribbon cable. or needing something that isn't available at 11pm at night like a usb adapter that I know i dont already have.

I just wanted to grab some files and needed a way to boot that would give me usb support to rescue them. it wasn't even very much data.

Quote:
he's a machinist. once he touches one or two small screws he probably can't stop until all the screws are out.

alternately, you can run knoppix off a cd. it's a linux that's meant to boot from portable drives. so boot that and see if you can use it to browse your broken drive for any data.
now that is information I could have used last night lol.

i sad to hell with it and wiped it this morning. all seems to be fine now and chkdsk ran for 2 hours and says there are no problems on the drive.

thanks for the help though guys!
My Feedback
Old 01-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

damn. i didn't think of knoppix at first because i haven't had that problem in a long time.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
damn. i didn't think of knoppix at first because i haven't had that problem in a long time.
lol the last time I had to boot a computer into anything but windows i used a 3.5 floppy....... and it didnt even give me cd support let alone usb external drives! thats why I was asking the question.

no worries, next time I will know what i should be looking for!
My Feedback
Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
lol the last time I had to boot a computer into anything but windows i used a 3.5 floppy....... and it didnt even give me cd support let alone usb external drives! thats why I was asking the question.

no worries, next time I will know what i should be looking for!
most computer makers do that now so you have to send in your info to get cd. unless computer is custom make you have to ask for most part now.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in