mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

we just had someone do that in cfl area and got sent to jail. since he done it couple times this time they grabbed the person
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRevolution View Post
Prison time seems like a much better deterrent than a little fine.
to me if you make example out someone. most people will not go out and do it again. think better to make example out someone with jail time then. give slap on wrist with 1k fine. the 1k fine might not stop him or someone from doing the same thing. since it does not really stops someone from doing again. all it does make some want to try it. since all he expects is 1k fine or slap on wrist. better to make example then go easy on someone. since people will see they mean it or tough on people.

Last edited by chrislognshot; 01-30-2013 at 05:11 PM.
chrislognshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRevolution View Post
Prison time seems like a much better deterrent than a little fine.
Yep, stupid is as stupid does.

This isn't the first time someone has been arrested for abusing a laser, likely won't be the last either.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislognshot View Post
to me if you make example out someone. most people will not go out and do it again. think better to make example out someone with jail time then. give slap on wrist with 1k fine. the 1k fine might not stop him or someone from doing the same thing. since it does not really stops someone from doing again. all it does make some want to try it. since all he expects is 1k fine or slap on wrist. better to make example then go easy on someone. since people will see they mean it or tough on people.

That makes about as much sense as saying "The next person we catch doing 1 or more miles per hour over the speed limit, we are going to put them in jail for 5 years and fine them a quarter of a million dollars to make an example of them so that nobody will ever speed on public roads again.

Making an example of someone over an overly henious crime is one thing, but for something fairly minute the punishment needs to be a bit more fair. If not 1k dollars, then 10k dollars, whatever it takes, but just jumping to that long of prison time and that amount of money just isn't fair. I'm in no way trying to take sides with the guy, but not all "bad" people are bad. Also it particularly bugs me because this seems more of a problem because of the type of vehicle he was shining it at. Now if this guy was just shining a lazer at a civilan car or civilan helicopter or news helicopter i doubt the possible punishment would have been so severe.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

It really depends of the wattage of the laser, you would need to get a direct hit in the eye for several long seconds without blinking to do any damage with an over the counter laser pointer. The lasers I work with run from 40 to 60 watts and will burn your skin within a half second.
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Threatening people with jail time works.......
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I've got some green lasers around here that don't burn stuff but will blind people easily. Even watching the video it was irritating my eyes when the light hit the camera sensor on the copter. Not saying the punishment isn't excessive but I would say a couple thousand dollar fine might be more appropriate for a first time offense (assuming it is a first time thing). After that it should be jail time if you continue to do stupid like this.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Willfully endangering people's lives for a kick...I say throw him in jail. Of course, I also think this of drunk driving. Laws are way to lenient on that.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Don't know if people are even considering the following.... 1. You blind the pilot... or are even knowingly shining something like that in their eyes knowing the potential is there to cause them harm.. THat's assault. 2nd to that, the pilot is blinded and can no longer fly the craft... what happens then? you think the craft safely lands itself in a non-populated area with no loss of crew life or of the craft itself? So.. you have a potentially blind pilot that is no longer able to fly a craft that no crashes in a populated area with the potential to kill/maim/injury, the crew and innocents on the ground.
3rd... not only do the above apply, but you also have other craft that could be flying in the area that the pilot can now no longer see to avoid (or buildings wires etc)... but now you've added other potential for injury, damage and death.

I didn't even click the link to see the punishment... but given the above and that this idiot did it for fun, smack the crap out of him and hopefully other idiots won't do the same dumb stuff.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Sentences for crimes are derived via several different theories (none mutually exclusive). Some of these are:

Specific Deterrence: An appropriate punishment will cause the criminal to not do it again.
General Deterrence: An appropriate punishment will cause the public to not want to do it either.
Retribution: An appropriate punishment will be what the criminal deserves.
Restitution: An appropriate punishment will make the victim whole again.

The real "appropriate" sentence is the one that strikes the correct balance of all of these theories, without being excessive, and without being deemed cruel and unusual.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Oldbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
Willfully endangering people's lives for a kick...I say throw him in jail. Of course, I also think this of drunk driving. Laws are way to lenient on that.
Actually I did more jail time for drinking and driving and not crashing than a local kid did for running a stop sign and killing a man. Laws are way too lenient on that.

FYBIPPB

HyperU2 is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in