mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
plan_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012

dark tower series

i know for a fact my machine at work is going to be running at a snail's pace
i have the 1st book here..i've heard good things or should i just rer-read some lovecraft in my leisure
plan_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
ton up boy
 
baader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Finland

True, end felt like he just wanted to get rid of the whole thing.
I liked the first one most.
__________________
You're on an internet forum.
Every first post is a cry for attention.
-heinous-

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
baader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Y80 power
 
noahlindberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Les Cheneaux

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
i read the first one and didn't like it at all, haven't touched any of the others which is odd for me. Normally once i start a series i read the whole thing weather i like it or not. couldn't bring my self to do it with this one.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanongi View Post
mcarterbrown.com: We like to hunt dinosaurs on our spare time.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
noahlindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster
 
Rain-Man005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011

The first can be a struggle, its more gritty, you can tell it was written long before the rest of the series. That being said, I felt it really established Roland, so if your going to read any of the books, read the first. I loved the series and although it might not have ended as we'd imagined it, the ending fit with our main character, it's his story through and through.

Now the recent "addition" Through the Keyhole? Not a fan.
Rain-Man005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
DashHopes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec Canada

Brass and Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain-Man005 View Post
The first can be a struggle, its more gritty, you can tell it was written long before the rest of the series. That being said, I felt it really established Roland, so if your going to read any of the books, read the first. I loved the series and although it might not have ended as we'd imagined it, the ending fit with our main character, it's his story through and through.

Now the recent "addition" Through the Keyhole? Not a fan.
I would have to agree with Rain-Man005. Minus it wasnt a struggle for me to read it.
__________________
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster
 
Rain-Man005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011

Yeah Dash, I didn't struggle reading it myself, just saying what my friends said about the first book. I personally think the first is probably one of my favorites in the series.
Rain-Man005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
DashHopes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec Canada

Brass and Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain-Man005 View Post
Yeah Dash, I didn't struggle reading it myself, just saying what my friends said about the first book. I personally think the first is probably one of my favorites in the series.
It was the raw grit of it that made it so good.
__________________
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight
 
Listessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

I enjoyed the feel of the first one, but then again I enjoy the grittier feel of early SK stuff, as well as the Bachman Books. It has more of a western feel, which is appealing in its own right.

To me the series is worth a read, even if the final ending makes you want to scream. The 5th book, Wolves of the Calla was my favorite. I enjoyed the development Mid-World's mythology and the characters themselves. Detail-wise, Stephen King didn't know much about guns when he first created Roland and his revolvers. That might bother some hardcore gun nuts, but ends up explained away as that being part of The Gunslinger's world, not ours.

Some of the graphic novels are kind of cool once you read the series, but not necessary. If I can find them used for an affordable price, I'll buy them. I read comics way too fast for it to be feasible entertainment.

Overall the series is better than most of his "newer" (post-accident) books. Duma Key is another exception in my opinion, and 11/22/63 was ok but not what you expect from his writing.
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
acesn8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northampton, PA

I read books 1 - 3, but never really warned to the series.
__________________
Pushing up the ante, I know you've got to see me,
Read 'em and weep, the dead man's hand again . . .
acesn8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Charlottesville, VA

CCM Fan
I read them all. I enjoyed it for the most part, not a big fan of the end or the part where they travel to our world, I thought that was a little weird. The dark tower graphic novels are awesome.
__________________
Feedback
BIG BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC