mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   youtube slow for anyone else? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/227811-youtube-slow-anyone-else.html)

heinous 03-03-2013 08:20 PM

youtube slow for anyone else?

started around last week. i can only watch 240p videos smoothly. even at 360p the buffering cannot keep up. even videos that i have previously watch smoothly.

it's not my computer's fault, it's not even my ISP's fault: websites load as fast as ever. break and liveleak videos all play smooth like butter. vimeo can even stream HD vids to me without any chopping.

just upgraded flash. didn't improve anything.

Wycke 03-03-2013 09:06 PM

I don't really have any advice, just an interesting anecdote. About a year ago, I was in a discussion with a software vendor we use and some of YouTube's tech people about how they handle volume (the vendor's website - critical to our use of their software - was being hit with DoS attacks on a weekly basis). Basically, YouTube's "normal" daily traffic volume is greater than most documented DoS attacks. If someone tried to attack them, they literally wouldn't know it based on bandwidth usage.

uv_halo 03-04-2013 05:07 PM

I've noticed this frequently (I'm on Verizon FIOS 20/5 and verified by speedtest.net) in the last year. Enough so that I've resorted to implementing 'slow connection' by default so by it buffers everything.
I've found it depends on the video for example, two videos may stream normally simultaneously, while another may stream very slowly even if it's the only video being served. I've not yet been able to determine a pattern though (i.e. videos from a year or more back taking longer to buffer, etc).

FreeEnterprise 03-04-2013 05:27 PM

My home "high speed" is so pathetic, I'm lucky if I can even load youtube... much less watch something on there.

It will be strange if they ever fix it and we have real internet...

Cincinnati bell Zoomtown is the WORST.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...0220-00114.jpg

One thing I have noticed on youtube lately, the 1080 isn't what it once was... My content looks way better on my final file than it does once I upload it... Their compression software is messing up the quality.

heinous 03-04-2013 05:38 PM

the thing is, my own videos that i uploaded that i previously was able to watch at at least 480p nonstop, now cannot stream smoothly even at 360.

well as of currently today it seems to have fixed itself. we will see if it deteriorates later in the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise (Post 2643583)
My home "high speed" is so pathetic, I'm lucky if I can even load youtube... much less watch something on there.

might want to check if your isp is doing some bandwidth throttling on you. i think google has some tools for that.

also, google started testing a gigabit (yes, GIGA!) connection with kansas city's customers, and time warner's explanation for not competeting with it is they don't think customers like you would want it anyway

uv_halo 03-04-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise (Post 2643583)

One thing I have noticed on youtube lately, the 1080 isn't what it once was... My content looks way better on my final file than it does once I upload it... Their compression software is messing up the quality.

I wonder how your tested rate compares to what you're paying for. That result reminds me of DSL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by heinous (Post 2643607)
the thing is, my own videos that i uploaded that i previously was able to watch at at least 480p nonstop, now cannot stream smoothly even at 360.

well as of currently today it seems to have fixed itself. we will see if it deteriorates later in the day.

might want to check if your isp is doing some bandwidth throttling on you. i think google has some tools for that.

also, google started testing a gigabit (yes, GIGA!) connection with kansas city's customers, and time warner's explanation for not competeting with it is they don't think customers like you would want it anyway

When it comes to ISP Speeds by our major providers, things are looking dodgy for the future. For example, Verizon just increased the cost paid by their Baltimore DSL subscribers without improving service, citing needs for maintenance. This puts the cost closer to the the Verizon Wireless mobile hotspot plans but, of course, those charge by the mega/giga-bit download.

And then, you have this article outling AT&Ts plans:
How AT&T Is Planning to Rob Americans of an Open Public Telco Network

secretweaponevan 03-05-2013 11:05 AM

HTML5?

MaD 03-05-2013 12:26 PM

yes been having the same issue. It's intermittent. Son has been complaining for at least 3-4 days.

mrmag11 03-05-2013 12:28 PM

I've noticed it as well, at least for a few weeks. 360 works fine, if I try and watch 720 or 1080, forget it.

heinous 03-05-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secretweaponevan (Post 2644480)
HTML5?

tried both. neither flash nor html5 helped.

the problem seems to have gone away now. :huh: but i while i had that problem i tried this:

the video usually plays automatically. when it does, i noticed that it fails to buffer and just plays immediately. when i "beat the video to the punch" by loading the page and immediately pausing the video before it even plays, the video buffers a little better, but still hits a bump later on.

i also noticed that, even while paused, the buffering stops after reaching a reasonable distance from the playhead. this is new. it used to be, i could pause a video and wait for it to load completely.