mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 08-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Jailbreaking an Iphone 3gs

I have been looking around the web about how to jailbreak my Iphone 3gs. There are many sites you can pay for a simple program to do an untethered jailbreak, but there is too many! Has anyone had any experience with any jailbreak sites?

Thanks,
Shane-O
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yeah don't waste your money.
To be honest if you jailbreak it it'll run slow as **** and piss you off bc the software it has to run doesn't leave much room for memory for jail breaking stuff to run. I think with the 3GS you're locked to the software sole wants to run. It's been so many years since I hail bike my 3GS I forget which software to use to tell you to look it up.
If you want to unlock it that's different as it should be outa contract right now and apple should unlock it.
I'm a jail break nut. I'm very up on everything and I've done over 200 phones iPads and touches.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Unlocking and jail breaking are totally different.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Heres what I have gathered so far. To recieve MMS with an Iphone 3gs, it needs to be Jailbroken. AT&T will unlock the phone free of charge. There is another way to enable MMS with a T-mobile Sim card and some trickery, that seems not to always work. I am going to go to Straighttalk and get rid of AT&T B.S. and costs. I do not want to go to Andriod phones strictly because we have 2 3Gs phones, and dont want to purchase any others. Also I have seen that some of the jail breaking programs include Wifi Tethering for other devices and I would really like that.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

The feature I use most on my jailbroken iphone is (I think) called multifl0w. It allows you to double click your home button and view all your running applications (multitasking) to change between them or easily close applications you don't want to remain running. In my experience this allows my phone to have more free memory and run smoother.

Another program I use is I think called SB settings where you can swipe the top of your screen to reboot or turn on off WIFI or other connectivity services and adjust brightness.

The programs for initiating the jailbreak have become pretty simple to use but I wouldn't try it unless you have patience to sort our problems and have everything on your phone backed up.

The tethering is nice as well.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Do you remember what program or how you jailbroke your phone?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I used several different programs through the several phones I've had for myself and family members.

I've used blackrain for OS 3.x.x (which was a tethered jailbreak which means you need to use this each time your phone restarts), redsnow for another OS, Green poison for maybe OS 5.1.1 on a Iphone 4?

You will need a specific program depending on your computer's OS and your phone's OS. and maybe even your carrier and whether you want jailbroken vs unlocked.

I've used different programs every time I've done it. You best bet is finding blog articles and youtube videos where they are using the exactly same carrier, 3gs and OS you have.

Hope that helps Shane, feel free to message or email me and I can try to offer more assistance.
-Dan
Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Knowing you used some of the ones I was looking at helps alot. Thanks Dan!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Needs new knees

So after much research and head scratching I figured it out and got it jailboken. IF you have an Iphones 3GS, there are a few different things that dont work the same as newer phones. Before you update your ios, check that you can get an untethered jailbreak for that ios. I updated to 6.1.3 and at the moment there is not an untethered jailbreak for 3GS. Now newer phones you can use some software and back date your ios if you need to, but 3GS you cannot. So far i have only downloaded one app off Cydia, and it was worth the $20 it cost. It is an app to make your phone a wifi hotspot, bluetooth hotspot or even connect via usb port for internet signal. Now I can go buy a Straight Talk sim which will keep me on the ATT network with 3G at $45 a month. A few tweaks are needed, but I think it will work just fine.

Go to: InsanelyiOS- The Blog of an Apple Fanboy - Home There is many good videos to walk you through jailbreaking any Apple product, and all the downloads you need. You should NEVER have to pay to have it done, unless you are not comfortable doing it. Just remember to back up your device before you try anything and research your model device and jailbreaks thoroughly. From what I see, the newest Evasion jailbreak is the easiest untethered jailbreak out there, but it wouldnt work with my ios, it is for 6.1.2 or lower.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Needs new knees

And oh yeah, when you do a successful jailbreak, back up your SHSH Blobs with Cydia on your phone. Research this and you will understand.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in