mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

So... Plugged in?

I looked at the thread involving lockitron and it got me to thinking. The other day I was in the store with my daughter and she was overly impressed by the recliners that had buttons for electrical motors rather than using the lever. Books have been set aside for Kindles - though I know the Kindle has advantages I REALLY like books. Various other things have been replaced by things that "plug in" that have very minimal advantage (and may be disadvantageous) to the mechanical system they are replacing.

Does anyone else look at a lot of things (for instance the recliner) and think things have gone too far?
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Its a double edge sword. You get two steps forward but still manage to go one step back. The majority of the population is going to prefer these lazy day solutions to our problems. Problems that weren't really there in the first place. I personally prefer objects that don't require technology enhancements to stay that way. Less problems that way.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

The other side of the coin is that the general push towards 'plugging in' is driving a neat resurgence of older style tech. Board games and actually getting a group of friends together around a real table are now on the rise. (And odds of smaller start ups taking off is on the rise as well. Compared to a few decades ago where most of the games that made any headway were from a handful of larger publishers, the online world is now making it easier for smaller players in the industry to thrive. I do love that irony.)

I'm told we are seeing a rise in new fully mechanical clocks being sold as people look for something 'different' and fight against the flood of junk consumerism.

Personally I think it is a very neat time in human history.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
The horological world is not afraid of quartz. Not anymore. There is still a booming need for top quality craftsmanships and in-house movements.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
More technology is not always good. A recliner with an electric motor to me is dumb. A simple mechanical chair is perfect. Why would anyone want to plug in a chair? The only thing I could see an electric recliner being beneficial for would be the elderly who may have trouble activating a recliner and lifting their legs to get them to engage.
crazyorigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
I looked at the thread involving lockitron and it got me to thinking. The other day I was in the store with my daughter and she was overly impressed by the recliners that had buttons for electrical motors rather than using the lever. Books have been set aside for Kindles - though I know the Kindle has advantages I REALLY like books. Various other things have been replaced by things that "plug in" that have very minimal advantage (and may be disadvantageous) to the mechanical system they are replacing.

Does anyone else look at a lot of things (for instance the recliner) and think things have gone too far?
electric toothbrush.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
60% More bullet

It's all money grabbing and politics. I can guarantee you people will be demand that apple give them a new iphone with a spectacular new symbol on the back (!), but will boycott a new nuclear power plant being built until they can't get electricity anymore because it costs to much to get fuel at another plant. People control how technology advances with their money, and unfortunately people are generally biased, easily brainwashed, and stupid. We got to the moon in 1969 with a shuttle that had calculating power you can buy at walmart for 5 dollars off the shelf today, but it's okay, because now we have segways so you don't even have to walk 5 feet. Progress, right?
Old 08-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post

I'm told we are seeing a rise in new fully mechanical clocks being sold as people look for something 'different' and fight against the flood of junk consumerism.

Personally I think it is a very neat time in human history.
This.
I think people are getting sick of the mass produced disposable consumer garbage that's been pushed on everyone for the past 20 years. People are wising up to the fact that if you but some buttons and lights on a cheap chinese $10 coffee maker its still a $10 coffee maker. Same goes for paintball markers and every other crap product with flashy lights and buttons.

If a housewife in Minnesota has the same cutting edge gadget as the New York fashionista its no longer exclusive. You used to have to be on top of the gadget magazines and sites and waste money on a lot of not ready for prime time tech to be an early adopter. Now nothing is new anymore, there is no version 1.0 of anything, its version 10, 11, and 12 of the same old thing.

Maybe its wishful thinking, and maybe its because MCB are a bunch of like minded individuals but I see a huge trend in going back to B spoke everything. A lot of the stuff I own is always low production runs, one offs, limited edition, or old and restored.

I believe in paying more up front to buy something that lasts long enough to make it my own, or paying extra to not have the same as everyone else.

People might think this as snobbish, but I see it as someone who is smart enough to understand that if everyone has one corners were cut to make it as fast and cheap as possible. We appreciate stuff made in 1st world countries in small batches because the people that are making it aren't just doing it to feed their families, they're doing it because they believe they are building the best.

I really like that we are seeing more people getting into small batch everything, from beer, to paintball guns, motorcycles, local farm food, watches, furniture, bikes, etc. The next revolution is in the miniaturization of industrialization so everyone can either do it themselves or know a small company that takes pride in doing it themselves.

Last edited by boo; 08-24-2013 at 11:13 AM.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

My family all chipped in to get my grandmother a new recliner last year. Her old recliner was too hard for her to physically adjust and the buttons added a new level of comfort. I think it was a great purchase and she loves it.

Personally, I am halfway a traditionalist. I prefer reading a physical book. I prefer shifting my car's gears. I prefer to make my biscuits from scratch instead of opening them from a can. But I still love the conveniences we have, like smartphones and computers and air conditioning.

I will probably always support the small company or mom and pop store as much as I can. I buy my gas at a privately owned gas station when I can, and I like to support small companies with the specific detail to craftsmanship.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
im just waiting for the usb powered vagina. life = set

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in