mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 08-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomillio View Post
Are they again now? Interesting how that ship sailed about 4 years ago and has come back to harbor...
oh yea. They've driven the price of them all way up. I got lucky when I bought my RX470 whne I did.

SLI seems finicky. As I understand it, only certain games can make use of it.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
Sadly SLI seems like it is forgotten
It should be. I bullied some dude years ago for getting 2 graphics just to SLI for call of duty. Each card was worth twice as much as the one I had at the time, which could already handle call of duty at max settings.

It's too much of a gimmick, unless you actually need it for whatever game or application.

MCB Feedback
YBBPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
I'm still rocking a 3770 and a GTX780.
Overclocked a bit, still no reason to upgrade.

A GTX980 is a great card.
Sadly SLI seems like it is forgotten, dual 980's is impressive when it works.
With DX12's native support of multiple video cards you actually get better performance if your cards are not SLI'd.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Yup, miners have ruined the prices. The $200 price point is pretty much ruined now, those cards are at least $350 for the same lame performance. Used prices of really really old cards are now around $200, it just isn't worth buying them tbh. Have to wait it out.

There are other issues like DRAM becoming more expensive, but this is as big an impact on prices as mining.

Got my PC very roughly set up last night. Thankfully the HD 4870 worked to display the desktop

My GEIL EVO X (AMD specific model), worked at 3200mhz without issue using A-XMP profile 2 on my MSI Tomahawk motherboard. I have yet to install any drivers etc, as currently decorating the office area.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

For the money for almost all rigs you are better off again with one better card than two lesser cards.

Seriously a xx60 Nvidia every year is the best most people can do. I often break even probably because some goof ball decided to sli his old card and wants a match.

O.....I didn't realize that bit coin people were some how using video cards for this. Seems absurd to spend a lot on used cards though. Is there a place I can learn more details about this?

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theangrydragon View Post
With DX12's native support of multiple video cards you actually get better performance if your cards are not SLI'd.
Has that actually been implemented yet?
That was a combination windows plus game dev requirement to actually make it work.

The test demos were interesting seeing.
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
O.....I didn't realize that bit coin people were some how using video cards for this. Seems absurd to spend a lot on used cards though. Is there a place I can learn more details about this?
Video cards used to be the best way of doing it, but I'm talking back in like 2010. Dedicated miners took over for a bit because they could do it much more efficiently - I too am curious what shifted the market back. I haven't been in the mining game for about two years now.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
DRAM becoming more expensive
It's because Google wanted to stick DDR4 ram into their smartphones, which is unnecessary for the average user who browses facebook or netflix at work.

They're using it for their Botnet datamining.

MCB Feedback
YBBPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
It's only EVERYWHERE right now...no joke, do a quick G search...hell, look on Netflix, neat little show on there about them. Slewtube is covered up with videos about it.

Apparently the decent mid priced AMD cards do the specific math required very well, and at the lowest cost compared to bigger brothers power requirements. As someone else said, the $200 card market is destroyed right now. And, of course the rest of the market followed.

Supposedly there are some mining specific cards coming, without video output, to satisfy the need without gutting the market.
punkncat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
I'm still using an I5-750 at 2.67 (3.2 boost) with a GTX 950 and I can run fallout 4 pretty smoothly at 720p. Not too shabby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I'm no hippie, but I do lack any sense of style.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in