mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Will I regret it.....

Damn guys, my curiosity is breaking my wallet. I've been shooting phantoms for awhile but could not get the MVP outta my head.

So I ordered the MVP last week. It came in today. Look wise, this thing looks awesome. But as far as feel goes...well it feels huge compared to my phantoms. I haven't shot it yet but hopefully I can justify the money I've spent.

I was holding them side by side and I honestly think the phantom feels better, like more solid or something. I will update this after I play Sunday but if anybody has any questions feel free to ask. Remember, I haven't shot it yet, just initial impressions seems like I spent too much.
rick_516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

imo when it comes to comparing makers like these, one is not necessarily better. They are just different.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I like bob long guns but for some reason holding it feels like driving an old pickup truck. The phantom on the other hand feels compact and solid, more like a sports car.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
DON'T! Read if you don't like negative opinions.

IMO Yes you will. Please don't take offense! I love pumps just like all of you do. However, I fell for the Bob Long MVP hype and I was very disappointed. Many players enjoy their MVP. I just couldn't handle the issues. My idea of owning a pump is low maintenance, few problems, and easily replaceable parts. I blew through 4 o-rings in one game, it took weeks to get the replacement "special" o-rings from BLAST.

What ever you do, do not sell your phantom! Go here to get an idea of the problems others have faced and to avoid some easily fixable problems on you MVP. maintenance of an MVP

I went from a CCI Phantom, to a CCM'd WGP Orracle, to a CCM J2L, to a BLAST MVP and finally to a CMM s6.5.

When, not, if you change your mind about the MVP, My two cents get a CCM anything.

I LOVED MY PHANTOM should have never sold it!

The WGP was used and it was ok

I LOVED MY J2L should have never sold it!

I HATED MY MVP so glade I traded it!

I Still have my S6.5

Last edited by SilentNuke; 10-17-2012 at 10:22 PM.
SilentNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

^similar experience to silentnuke, in that I was really excited about the MVP (although not as much as I was with the thumper even after I heard about all its problems), and when playing with it I was really not impressed. although I agree that it's not right to compare a phantom to it - they're just very different guns - I much prefer the feel of a phantom, and much more so my '12 ghost or old spirit, to the MVP. higher performing gun for the most part, but I didn't seem to have much fun with it. it was like when I made my first sniper out of a the system x base model and a cheap-o pump kit (mistake). Disappointment. I'd much rather play with a high end pump kit on a cocker or ccm pump, or even my oc '12 ghost setup (which, I think, really says something because oc nelson based guns are something else...)!

In any case, hope things work out for you OP!

nice thumper vert feed adapter on that phantom btw (or am I mistaken?)

Last edited by toymachine; 10-18-2012 at 02:00 AM.
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNuke View Post
IMO Yes you will. Please don't take offense! I love pumps just like all of you do. However, I fell for the Bob Long MVP hype and I was very disappointed. Many players enjoy their MVP. I just couldn't handle the issues. My idea of owning a pump is low maintenance, few problems, and easily replaceable parts. I blew through 4 o-rings in one game, it took weeks to get the replacement "special" o-rings from BLAST.

What ever you do, do not sell your phantom! Go here to get an idea of the problems others have faced and to avoid some easily fixable problems on you MVP. maintenance of an MVP

I went from a CCI Phantom, to a CCM'd WGP Orracle, to a CCM J2L, to a BLAST MVP and finally to a CMM s6.5.

When, not, if you change your mind about the MVP, My two cents get a CCM anything.

I LOVED MY PHANTOM should have never sold it!
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSC00021.jpg
The WGP was used and it was ok
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSC00085.jpg
I LOVED MY J2L should have never sold it!
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSC00129.jpg
I HATED MY MVP so glade I traded it!
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSC00117.jpg
I Still have my S6.5
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...917C1D32A8.jpg
Yea I don't see me selling my phantoms. I have two right now and may pickup another one. I like to have extras in case any of my broke *** friends wanna play lol. Plus I love the fact that they're so easy, like no hopper needed, just air and about five tubes and you're ready.

I think I hyped myself up about the MVP so much that my expectations were just too high. Specially when thinking about the price....I could've bought a proton for me a semi and a g1 for an extra semi and still be under.

Well hopefully I can get a few face shots with it. But I will be playing back and fourth with the phantom to see if flight path and or comfort will out do each other.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
BOB LONG!

CCM Fan
I own a T2, an MVP and a Phantom and love them all for different reasons. I wouldn't recommend an MVP as a 'first' pump, mainly due to the price, but that's not the case here.

Will you have buyers remorse? I don't think so, but I guess that all depends on your expectations. Of all my guns the MVP is the most consistent over the chrono. It is very light and I see where you get that "Phantom feels more solid" feeling. It really isn't, but that's just how it feels in your hands. Of my three shooters it is the lightest setup as my Phantom has a few extra goodies on it that the MVP doesn't (heavier grips, all metal feed and stock)

I do find the MVP pretty reliable. I'm not sure what caused SilentNuke to have such o-ring problems (maybe tolerance issues) but an MVP from the factory that is working properly needs minimal maintenance. I will offer up a bit of advice regarding preventative maintenance: Put a drop of blue Loctite on screws that attach your rail/trigger assembly to the gun body. If you don't and the screws manage to work themselves loose via vibration then you can experience a) the autotrigger issues Taco was having since it'll start introducing a gap between the hammer and sear and b) you can blow out the o-ring that seals the air passage that connects the valve body to the regulator. Those are the only issues I've seen/had with my MVP and both are easily avoidable by something you'd probably want to do anyways.

I love my MVP (especially since it did save my bacon the other day when I was using ultra brittle paint) but I also understand why others don't care for it. It is unfortunate that we all can't agree on the gun, especially since it costs so much, but that doesn't mean you won't like it. Give it some time and maybe it'll grow on you like it did to me. I bounce between the T2 and MVP depending on how I feel and use my Phantom for stock class play. However, if I was stranded on a desert island and had to choose one of the three, I'd pick the Phantom :P

Last edited by Festa; 10-18-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Festa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

I did get some paint through it today. I will admit, it shot really straight, even when using short barrels, I'm talking like a wwa tip on a freak back. Also tried the stock barrel and the deadlywinds. I had a couple of double shots, not sure why since I wasn't auto triggering. But it did start to feel pretty good in the hands. I shot the phantom after that to try and compare. The phantoms flight path seems to shoot higher, might have been how I was holding it but they was both shooting about the same, just a different feel. I'm looking forward to getting more shots through it Sunday when I play. I'll update more then. Btw do NOT dry fire this at night if you live in an apartment. Haha
Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_516 View Post
Btw do NOT dry fire this at night if you live in an apartment. Haha
hell yea!
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

It was kinda funny when I went to get air...I was showing the owner and I dry fired it lol. The last time I seen a shop owner jump like that a co2 tank exploded.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers