mcarterbrown.com  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterford,Nor Cal

CCM Fan
Never shot the new sterling I know in the old sterling days the parts were hard to come by,I don't know if that has changed.As far as the ghost it has served me well and have no plans to ever get rid of it .There is no need for custum parts on it what with the built in ball detent and slider trigger its 12 gram preformance is top notch too!!!
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
DCB
Post Whore
 
DCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Send a message via AIM to DCB

Having owned and shot both (and many more) and here are my thoughts.

The GG was a great SC marker. The trigger is very adjustable and easy to shoot. The 14" barrel was a big turn off! With the barrel and stock attached it seemed 6 feet long. Also as was mentioned, Lapco has not jump totally on board with the ne Ghost. They need to offer more barrel options and maybe even a feed adapter. I did not thing I would get used to the frame but it worked out ok.

The new Sterling was nice. Light and fast to move with... a little like the Phantom. Great pump stroke (although it needs a return spring) and Spyder threaded barrels. I had the same setup as DarkArmorPB but had serious issued with leaks. I could not add the back bottle and not have it leak. I tried the extra o-rings they provided to no avail. I finally sent it back and the replace it with the other frame and VA setup... no leaks. In the end just not my cup of tea.

I would also look into a Phantom and maybe even a Palmer SS.

Peace
__________________
DCB<><
CPPA #1092
Pump Gun Pimp #80
LPPC #164
Spec Ops Pump User#86
Pump Player Clan
http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54098
Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...html#post78710
Gallery
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/...er=184&cat=500
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
paintballmarshaltn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver, B.C Canada

Well, it's been a while guys. I saw this and might as well put my buck-fiddey in.

Phantom- Customer service A+++++++, parts are easy to get, but needs "some" improvements "pump stroke,paint to barrel issues"

Sterling- Since I/we were sponsored by them back a few years ago, there been "some" improvements.I monkied with other aftermarket ideas as l.p mods and other ideas. As for speed when you need it, Sterling hands-down. All I bought was a back"spider" for my old freak kit and she was done.The models we got were built for us before the new stock class's came out . Think there was 10 done for us. As for parts they have Mark Ambrose in ,PA for extra parts. But you can use cocker valve stem or a VM-68 or P-68 valve stem. As for o-rings their common sized at any hardware store. As for springs you can order them thru Maddman springs, they done a run for me a few years ago, ask for spyder main springs and cocker valve springs. You'll have to clip the mains to fit.

As for the grey Goose, oops ghost. After the who flung pooh a few years ago why they were trying to get us to buy the damn things. I dont wanna look or pick one up unless it's at a damn good price. Parts be hard to get as barrels. It's up to you tho.


If's it's up to me. Be between CCI or Sterling. I personaly know both, so it's gonna be hard to say. Mikes' a one hell'va stand up guy and a awesome person.And makes a good gun for a good price. Sterling is a very good gun and is a personal fav. If mike would make the internals<hammer and bolt> in S.S . I would buy another phantom. Hell, If I could find some aftermarket internals for a phannie I might just get another for ****s and giggles.
__________________
My feedback on MCB http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1806
paintballmarshaltn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck
 
russc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC

You could buy a Grey Ghost and put the internals in your Phantom!

The new Ghost is an awesome, awesome gun. I can't really say this to enough people, because so many haven't even given it a chance.

It's a better gun than a Phantom for just a little more money. The integrated anti-rollout detent is brilliant, the slider is adjustable, the internals are awesome - you're getting a LAPCO tube along with a fluted hammer which can make any nelson sing. If you mangle your internals and LAPCO can't help you, turn to a Phantom dealer. The internals can easily be swapped. The hidden return spring, the way the gun field strips so easily without falling apart in your hands, the metal feed tube, the fit and finish on things like the valve body and how the VA mates to the gripframe are all stellar.

A decked out VSC is what, 250 without a stock? The Ghost comes at 350 with a T-stock. (I do wish it were match annoed though)

It is a better gun. I can't stress it enough. The only weak points I can think of are that there aren't SS thread inserts in the body, not all barrels fit, and the bottomline is at an extreme angle. Of course it isn't as adaptable with factory parts, but if you want a VSC style gun, this is it. They are better than Carters as far as feel and finish go in my opinion, for much less money. They're a little more exclusive and featured than a Phantom, but not as blinged out and finicky as a Buzzard.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
oldschool play is about sportsmanship and respect, oldschool gear is available on Ebay.

Last edited by russc; 02-06-2009 at 10:54 PM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll
 
EDDAKA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: East Texas
Send a message via AIM to EDDAKA Send a message via MSN to EDDAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
You could buy a Grey Ghost and put the internals in your Phantom!

The new Ghost is an awesome, awesome gun. I can't really say this to enough people, because so many haven't even given it a chance.

It's a better gun than a Phantom for just a little more money. The integrated anti-rollout detent is brilliant, the slider is adjustable, the internals are awesome - you're getting a LAPCO tube along with a fluted hammer which can make any nelson sing. If you mangle your internals and LAPCO can't help you, turn to a Phantom dealer. The internals can easily be swapped. The hidden return spring, the way the gun field strips so easily without falling apart in your hands, the metal feed tube, the fit and finish on things like the valve body and how the VA mates to the gripframe are all stellar.

A decked out VSC is what, 250 without a stock? The Ghost comes at 350 with a T-stock. (I do wish it were match annoed though)

It is a better gun. I can't stress it enough. The only weak points I can think of are that there aren't SS thread inserts in the body, not all barrels fit, and the bottomline is at an extreme angle. Of course it isn't as adaptable with factory parts, but if you want a VSC style gun, this is it. They are better than Carters as far as feel and finish go in my opinion, for much less money. They're a little more exclusive and featured than a Phantom, but not as blinged out and finicky as a Buzzard.

Don't the ghosts also have those lame body screws that will wiggle themselves out?
__________________
Feedback
EDDAKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck
 
russc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC

You mean the valve retention screws like on Bushmasters? Yes they have them but they stay very tight. Maybe its the soft brass digging in. They don't come loose like the ones on my other Nelsons.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
oldschool play is about sportsmanship and respect, oldschool gear is available on Ebay.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll
 
EDDAKA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: East Texas
Send a message via AIM to EDDAKA Send a message via MSN to EDDAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
You mean the valve retention screws like on Bushmasters? Yes they have them but they stay very tight. Maybe its the soft brass digging in. They don't come loose like the ones on my other Nelsons.
What kind of effeciency are you getting russ?
__________________
Feedback
EDDAKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck
 
russc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC

It's a friends gun that I borrowed, about 35-40 over 260 in summer. He forgot to put a tank oring on his 12gram changer once so I got to take it home and take it completely apart.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
oldschool play is about sportsmanship and respect, oldschool gear is available on Ebay.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterford,Nor Cal

CCM Fan
Don't go spending your life savings on a gun you may use a couple times!!!Try out a phantom it is cheaper and if you like it move up !!
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll
 
EDDAKA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: East Texas
Send a message via AIM to EDDAKA Send a message via MSN to EDDAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Don't go spending your life savings on a gun you may use a couple times!!!Try out a phantom it is cheaper and if you like it move up !!
You never "move up" from a phantom. You simply take a break from it for a while until you miss it
__________________
Feedback
EDDAKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC