mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Rainman's Custom Corner (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/rainmans-custom-corner/)
-   -   My Power drawBars on SX3 mill (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/rainmans-custom-corner/230599-my-power-drawbars-sx3-mill.html)

Rainman229 04-04-2013 06:55 PM

My Power drawBars on SX3 mill

So I was messing around with my phone and decide to shot this. Don't mind the bald retart talking lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP-vmHqDsX0

blackrain 04-06-2013 03:13 AM

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I like it :D Should I send you money to make something for me :drool:

Later,
Blackrain :D

Phoenix01 04-06-2013 11:36 AM

Now that is what you can call a quick change. That is really impressive, I guess it is safe to say you are happy with this. Have you notice much difference in the quality of your machining?

Rainman229 04-06-2013 12:57 PM

Happy with both setup now. Doesn't effect much. Just mostly allows tools to be changed in a tenth of the normal time. For example when I run off Phantom handle plates theirs 4 tool changes. 2 of which the tool is only in the machine for less then 2 minutes. It gets rather time consuming changing them out. Now it's not so bad any more.

Original the setup on the green one was on the red. That had issues with tool pulling out when making the phantom mounts.

laxpro69 04-06-2013 06:39 PM

I remember you mentioning lakeshore carbide as the bits you use. Ever try these? Please take the two minutes to watch the youtube video :D

TITAN VI-PRO ENDMILL

Rainman229 04-06-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laxpro69 (Post 2676671)
I remember you mentioning lakeshore carbide as the bits you use. Ever try these? Please take the two minutes to watch the youtube video :D

TITAN VI-PRO ENDMILL

Thats pretty sweet for cutting steel.
Aluim at that speed and 4 flute with all the flood coolant in the world would still cake up the teeth. 3 flute is the most for aluim

I Would even try that.

laxpro69 04-06-2013 09:23 PM

I figured it would need a two or three flute one, I wish they sold one. I will be buying lakeshore carbide when I need some more end mills. I was just fascinated by the slotting that they had done.

Rainman229 04-06-2013 11:09 PM

I'll try and get some vid of lakeshores cutting

Phoenix01 04-07-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainman229 (Post 2676474)
Just mostly allows tools to be changed in a tenth of the normal time. For example when I run off Phantom handle plates theirs 4 tool changes. 2 of which the tool is only in the machine for less then 2 minutes. It gets rather time consuming changing them out. Now it's not so bad any more.

Oh don't get me wrong, I completely understand the convenience of it. I work in the family machine shop for my extra income, usually operating either the Bridgeport or Cincinatti lathe. Having several tool changes and it taking just a few seconds to do can drastically reduce the amount of overall time it takes from start to finish. This is especially true when you bid jobs based on how long it will take for you to complete. Less time = more money. I think when I can afford it, I'll look into a set up like this.

Rainman229 04-07-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix01 (Post 2676901)
Oh don't get me wrong, I completely understand the convenience of it. I work in the family machine shop for my extra income, usually operating either the Bridgeport or Cincinatti lathe. Having several tool changes and it taking just a few seconds to do can drastically reduce the amount of overall time it takes from start to finish. This is especially true when you bid jobs based on how long it will take for you to complete. Less time = more money. I think when I can afford it, I'll look into a set up like this.

Best way to go is a 4" x 1or2 " stroke 3 stage cylinder With dial a stroke.

I'm using a 2" stroke with dail a stoke.Only using about 1/2 inch of stroke. but gives me play room on mounting it . nice thing about dail a stroke is you can reduce the un needed stroke. That would other wise add more stress to the spindle bearings then needed. So i only use what i need to knock the tool out. You can find bridge port kits at grizzly. If you want something off the shelf to install.