mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   RTR (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/rtr/)
-   -   Gargoyle Barrels and Bushings (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/rtr/124882-gargoyle-barrels-bushings.html)

Greenmtnphantom 06-23-2010 01:03 PM

Gargoyle Barrels and Bushings

The Gargoyle currently comes stock with delrin bushings that are sized for a stock Phantom barrel. There are also "Autococker bushings" available with a larger ID than the stock ones.

What I would like to do here is over time compile a list of barrels that Gargoyle users have used and what bushing is needed to fit that barrel.

The bushings are easiest to remove if you have the RTR Gargoyle Multi tool to remove them and install the new ones. It is possible to do without the tool. I do not recommend it but I believe others have done it.

guardian 06-23-2010 01:17 PM

So far I've found out that to use a Longbow autococker threaded barrel , the bushings in the foregrip will have to be removed . Once I get the tool in , I'll update with futher info on using the Longbow barrel in a Garg.

Greenmtnphantom 06-23-2010 01:19 PM

Good point about the bushing tool

DSA 06-23-2010 04:27 PM

What ever happened to the good old days when barrels were made to fit the gun? As for the stock Phantom barrel as well as most of today's barrels the art of honing is a thing of the past. For some reason you just don't find that mirror finish ID any more.

taco 06-23-2010 09:17 PM

I tried several barrels i had and not all seemed to work. I had two cocker threaded deadlywinds one would thread in all the way the other wouldn't. i also tried a ccm cocker barrel wouldn't thread in. Then there was the frantom wouldn't fit either. I did have luck with the sp all american phantom barrel fit nicely. As for the busings like DSA said they don't make barrels like they use to all the fancy milling makes it hard to fit in an overcocker system

RTR 06-23-2010 09:51 PM

Keep try'n em out guys. The tolerance on the Gargoyle is very very slim. So it's all going to depend on the quality of the machining on each barrel. I must say that some of these Gargoyles make me want to buy me one or twenty.

Greenmtnphantom 06-24-2010 08:38 AM

Tacolex, Just to clarify what bushings did you use for which barrel to fit.

I understand that the outer milling of the barrel will change how it works with the Gargoyle greatly thats why I figured we would do this thread.

Rodney, any chance of getting the ID of the bushings from you?

Angelballer 06-24-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacolex (Post 1364270)
I tried several barrels i had and not all seemed to work. I had two cocker threaded deadlywinds one would thread in all the way the other wouldn't. i also tried a ccm cocker barrel wouldn't thread in. Then there was the frantom wouldn't fit either. I did have luck with the sp all american phantom barrel fit nicely. As for the busings like DSA said they don't make barrels like they use to all the fancy milling makes it hard to fit in an overcocker system

I also had issues with getting a CCM back to thread into the gun. I hadn't planned on using it anyway because of the taper on the barrel but I was thinking about ordering a Stiffi tip for it which doesn't have a taper. Now I think I might have to go with a DW with some of Ty's brass inserts.

taco 06-24-2010 09:24 AM

The newer deadlywind barrels even if they thread in will have issues with the aluminum part at the threaded end. They are longer and hit the pump handle. Also as you stated the ccm barrel tapers but I think I used the cocker sized bushings on there it worked but the pump handle had to much play. I think the best is just have the stock barrel bored unless you can find a good barrel with a good outter id. Then again if its a phantom threaded deadlywind it should work since there's no taper on the end.

ironchef97 06-24-2010 01:13 PM

I was able to use the stock phantom barrel, J&J AC threaded brass barrel, PPS Barrel, Dye UL, Kaner Barrel all without problems.