mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Speed demon bolt Q's

I recently got a PMI SB (ex. rental) with a speed demon bolt in it. I had a few questions about the bolt.

First, how do you take the darn thing apart? Do you knock out that little pin in the rear and slide the guts out?
Also, what is the thread size for the knurled knob on the back?
Finally, when the bolt is in the completely forward position, it still jiggles back and forth,maybe about 1/8th of an inch, could that be caused by worn out ball bearings? Maybe the little holes got stretched out over time? Or is that just the nature of the beast?

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Original SWARM

The knurled knob is there to be pulled rearward to retract a spring loaded plunger that holds the pump rod in place.Pull the pump rod away from the barrel while holding the knob rearward.

An 1/8" of play is common between wear and production tollerences.The ball bearings are harder than the barrel and the bolt so the holes elongate a little with use. If it pumps smoothly and has no blowback it should be alright.

After you get the pump rod out, if your gun has a slot (usually on the left side) you twist the bolt to get the cocking lug in the slot and pull the bolt rearward to remove it.

If your gun is still factory stock it will not have that slot but a small notch to allow you to depress the cocking lug up into the bolt (it is spring loaded) while you pull the bolt rearward to remove it.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
As far as taking it apart goes....the only real reason you need to take it apart is if it's barely moving or the bearings are rusted or something along those lines. There's really not a lot inside, that you're going to improve. AND it's often a pain to get the bearings back in right.

That being said. If you are taking it apart, you need a punch to tap out the pin in the back. This will allow the back part to slide out. All you're going to find inside is a "rod" attached to that back piece and two ball bearings. There is a small o-ring on the inside of the back piece (rod) that could be replaced if it's mangled badly.....but that's unlikely. So you grease up the end of the rod where the bearings hit and then start the process of trying to fanangle the bearings back into their respective holes. And then tap the pin back in. Nothing really going on there.

The other allen screw on top....no need to mess with it. Underneath that allen screw is a spring and your cocking pin. Nothing to impact performance in any way.

Just my 2 cents here, but if the bearings are causing some severe pump stroke problems, just take them out. People will tell you that you might get some blowback...which is true....but only if your hand isn't on the pump handle. If I'm firing, my hand is always on the pump handle so there's no blowback. Also, the amount of blowback is pretty insignificant from the "hit you in the face" standpoint....you might be losing a touch of velocity and air efficiency.....but you'll have a smoother pump stroke if you're being hampered that much.

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Isn't the pin a roll pin? Major PIA to put back in if you don't have the appropriate tool.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
Isn't the pin a roll pin? Major PIA to put back in if you don't have the appropriate tool.

E
not sure what a roll pin is, but the pin is hollow, if that has anything to do with it.

I guess I wont bother taking the bolt apart, it sounds like more trouble than its worth.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

it is a roll pin. not too much trouble to get out and in but a roll pin punch and starter do help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Ok choochie, the duck is not troubled, it's dated. The technology is old, it's like 8mm stop motion film reels, nothing will ever replace them, they are nostalgic one of a kind but for today's youth the expectations are CGI.
my feedback
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Do you think it would be possible to replace the speed demon bolt setup with just a spring and ball bearings? Al la PGP? I think that would really lock the bolt in place.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

probably not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Ok choochie, the duck is not troubled, it's dated. The technology is old, it's like 8mm stop motion film reels, nothing will ever replace them, they are nostalgic one of a kind but for today's youth the expectations are CGI.
my feedback
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Wait, what?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Necropost because it's mentioned!

My cocking pin/lug narrowly missed blinding my left eye this evening when it sprung forth from the bolt. How do I go about reinstalling it?

FS: Ultimate Kingman Hammer ($120), optional Freak Kit

Feedback
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
Necropost because it's mentioned!

My cocking pin/lug narrowly missed blinding my left eye this evening when it sprung forth from the bolt. How do I go about reinstalling it?
It's captured in there... how in the heck did it come out? From the bottom side where it normally protrudes from?

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan