mcarterbrown.com  

Old 06-21-2007, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

PMI-I/Brass Questions

I picked up my first PMI/Sheridan last week ala eBay and now I've got a project on my hands. Sadly, I don't know where to start or where to begin...

Let's begin:

Roughly 40% of the ebonal C finish has either been worn nearly completely off or been corroded. Would it be a bad idea to remove the black finish and just keep it polished until I can afford to send it to Palmer's for some lovin'?
Next, what's the best way to remove said finish? I've read through some older threads and there doesn't seem to be any real consensus.
It seems the previous owner used some sort of a metal brush to remove some of the corrosion on the pump handle. Are there any other alternatives other than the stock pump handle? Palmer's?

Since the one that came with the marker broke, I'm also in the market for the front sight (brass also?). The only place I remember seeing brass sights is on Have Blue's website but they aren't the same as the one I am looking at. Anyone know where to get a replacement that matches the stock front sight?

Thanks,

-Patrick
pmicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

if it were me, i'd leave the finish as is, but i think the best way to remove it is by bead blasting it.

AmericanPaintball has the brass bead sight. look for his web address in the dealer forum.

as for anything else to do it... see if it leaks. if it does, you'll need a special tool to remove the valve. AP will have the tool too, and get a rebuild kit and you'll be good. when your ready for top performance, send it to Palmer's and she'll be a whole new animal.
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, the valve leaks. I haven't been able to get through a 12 gram yet. I ordered a Valve tool and some various bits from Palmer's and VM68.com. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for cleaning up the thread mod/admin.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper will be your best bet for removing the black finish relatively quickly without wearing away too much of the underlying brass. From there it's easy to go to a 1000 grit automotive sandpaper and then to super fine steel wool and finally Brasso/Wenol for a mirror finish. Then you can send it to PPS for plating.

I'd also recommend getting a delrin pump handle in place of the aluminum one. You'll find it slides much nicer.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

i bead blasted several bodies, the used Scotch-Brite (all 3 grades) then used Nevr-Dul and it looks pretty good. it's not a mirror finish at all, but it gives it a nice satin finish.

keep in mind that polished brass is high maintence and scratches easily.
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Anyone got any links to dealers who carry pump handles that'll work on this thing?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

PPS of course will have them, but Scarecrow makes a groovy looking pump handle as well. I personally haven't used one of his, but they look comfy.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fair Weather Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to angelpena Send a message via Skype™ to angelpena

Pat
I use a Brass wire wheel to clean up sheridan bodies, then a little buffing. the brass wheel won't score the brass body.

PPS has all the seals you need, and a nice valve tool. they also have nice delrin pump handles, but yours should clean up with a little wire wheeling and buffing. and Dan Bacci has a huge assortment of parts for these as well, look in the FS threads here.

Scarecrow and Matt are good parts sources too but hard to get ahold of at times.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
B
Retro grouch

Clean up the corrosion with 0000 steel wool get rid of it all it is a cancer. Next if you want to remove the finish elbow grease is the only way use 00 steel will and work back up to 0000. Unless you want to polish all the time go for a satin finish or a close proximity to OE finish with brass black. Making the gun black again is a painstaking process that yield good results. Blackening is no quick process think weeks for a great job.

To smooth out the pump stroke a bit more polish the lower tube, set the bolt o-rings to the upper tube and get a delrin pump fitted to the gun. (place a wtb or trade your Al pump off for one of these)

I think we are being hit by a tsunami of stupidity.
Paintball is a game of honor, play it that way!

Nelson Owners Group

RIP Grifyn
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

I had thought of resurrecting the pump but there's just too much good metal already taken off. I'm now in the market for a new delrin pump handle.

Also, does clipping the spring between the two bolt bearings making pumping easier or is this something I should stay away from?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan