mcarterbrown.com  

Old 07-25-2012, 02:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Picking up an old Sheridan PMI-1

So, I found a Sheridan PMI-1 on craigslist locally. Hasn't been shot in years, and the guy is asking $75 but has already said he'll come down on the price.

The ad's been up for over a month, and the pictures show the gun in GREAT condition. Just some wear where the pump handle slides.

He says it's from the 80's and he actioned the slide while I was on the phone with him, it sounded smooth. Of course, I am going to check it out in person.

What do you think I should offer him? If I can get it for $45 or $50 I'll jump on it and not think twice. What say you?
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
brassmage and necrotech

anything under $75's good, especially if either you have a tool for it or it comes with one, likely it needs new seals or could use 'em. if tool and seals are needed, offer $50 with the understanding that you'll have to order from palmer's (pricy) or on forum through mad and titus (cheaper). price of brassguns has dropped lately, makes a good bargaining point

looking for: sony alpha NEX-6, working AT-85/AT10 preferably with straight asa

happy with me? http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
chplnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the insight!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just made the deal for it on the phone. $50. I'll be picking it up this weekend!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
^ Now if you ever sell it. You have to sell it for $50. Jk. Thats a good deal though
Now what's a cocker?
Women are a lot like Pokemon, it doesn't matter how good you are, You cant catch any if you don't have any balls.

Ksciupider's Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ksciupider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, picked it up today. It's not in immaculate condition as the pictures showed on the CL ad, and due to this I could have gotten it for cheaper I'm sure... but the dude kinda gave me the creeps and I just wanted to get out of there. So, I paid the $50.

I'll post pics when I'm able, but she's pretty routine. A little corrosion here and there, but all stock and complete. Sweet!

Anyways, there is some scuffing on the pump handle, some corrosion at the front of the feed tube, looks like a small nick inside the barrel towards the end, and slight surface rust on the shank for the 12 gram changer as well as on the sear. Those should be easy to fix, but the barrel worries me.

Eventually, I imagined changing the barrel out for a smaller bore regardless. It's just upsetting to see that nick in there.

Also, I've got the marker completely disassembled for cleaning/stripping the finish, but one part has me confused. The threaded nut on the bottom tube where the forward grip frame screw goes in... does that come out at all? As in, do I need to pull it out to reman/completely clean the gun, strip and polish it? Or should I just leave it as-is?

So, all in all... a very, very nice start to a project. I'm going to keep her stock class even after all the "mods" I want to do (pretty mild, in all honesty) and I dont want to drop the money on a barrel so soon, so I'm hoping I can just polish the inside of the barrel well enough on my own without changing the bore.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
DO NOT attempt to take that threaded part where the grip frame screws into out. It's called a nutsert. It is like the inverse of a rivet.....where a rivet fills a hole, this sets inside it and has a threaded middle. You need a special tool to install it. I have one, because I work on brass a lot and fix them regularly, but for one gun it's a pain....and you can't put the old one back, you have to install a brand new one.

For the lower tube dis-assembly, you need this thread....PGP Non-Cartridge Valve Disassembly

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Beard View Post
DO NOT attempt to take that threaded part where the grip frame screws into out. It's called a nutsert. It is like the inverse of a rivet.....where a rivet fills a hole, this sets inside it and has a threaded middle. You need a special tool to install it. I have one, because I work on brass a lot and fix them regularly, but for one gun it's a pain....and you can't put the old one back, you have to install a brand new one.

For the lower tube dis-assembly, you need this thread....PGP Non-Cartridge Valve Disassembly
Thanks for the info. I'd already read that thread and didn't see anything about that one there. So, I appreciate it!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan