mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Mounting Options for Speed Gate on PG/PGP

I was wondering if it is possible to mount a speed gate on the front of the top tube of a PG or PGP. Or can you only instal a speed gate on the rear of the top tube on a PGP?

If you can instal it in either place, has anyone ever tried running a PGP with two speed gates - one on the front of the top tube and one at the rear?

I'm thinking running it on the front would be cool because, not only would I then be able to use a speed gate with my PG (not enough clearance to be able to use it on the rear of the top tube thanks to large twist lock bolt handle), but after filling the top tube up I could stick another 10rnd tube into the speed gate, in effect turning it from a 10rnd tube into a 20rnd tube.

Your thoughts? Thanks for the help!
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

You would need to drill a hole for the little finger part of the speed feed that acts as the detent for the paint. As long as you do that, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

That little detent/finger would normally lodge itself into the little grove that the rear feed tube cap's set screw locks into? Cool. Thanks for the help
Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Or you modify a phantom feed gate cap.

funsi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Yea, this is what I'm going to be doing between now and getting the speed gates, because that's my lowest priority in terms of work I want to do to the PG(P). Plus it looks easy enough to do with a dremel/saw/file. And I especially like how low profile and streamlined the Phantom feed gate looks, as opposed to the traditional speed gate that is kinda bulky and sticks out past the end of the marker's body.

Anyways, I've seen some pretty nice examples of mod'ing a CCI/Phantom feed gate for use on a PGP (to note none of these are mine though, just for the record):

Personally I think the black/yellow build is fugly as hell, much prefer the second. However I'd mount the feed gate on the rear, as with the fugly black/yellow setup, although I do like how the clear feed gate looks compared to the standard black. Who knows, maybe I'll end up going with a different opaque color.

Last edited by toymachine; 01-13-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Do whatever tickles your fancy. I much prefer the PPS Speedgate, but you can't be the price of a modded phantom feedgate.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Right! Plus it's hard to beat free, considering I have a number of CCI feed gates laying around collecting dust. I'm looking forward to trying both the CCI and Speed gates, best of both worlds

When ever it comes to pass and I've had the chance to try and compare both, I'll post up my experience with them here. Thanks for the feedback guys 'n' gals
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
The thing with the phantom feedgate, while it is free, you need to make it fit. So yes a dremel wheel will make it work, but if you don't use an adhesive of some sort, it's going to pull right off.

The best route, if you are going the stockclass feedgate route is to pull the top tube off, and move that tube down a few inches toward the user. This would provide a better feeling stockclass tube and more grip for the feedgate instead of cutting it. The downside is that well, you'd have this awkward feed hole somewhere in the ball stack instead at the end via rock forward or rock back.

This is the best...

but at this point you're best getting a super stocker instead of having a beater pgp to mess around with.

At the end of the day, the less intrusive and best way (although not free/cheap) is the PPS speedfeed.

Hell, buy a piece of brass pipe, slot it, bend it slightly and make it old school feed.
Bottom right piece.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Yup, I've seen a number of those on guns around here and for sale on Dan's site. I think, for me, the ideal would be like you said moving the feed tube back a quarter inch or whatever so that there's space for the CCI feed gate to go on without modification. Either that or super stoker setup.

Anyways, yea I'd definitely use some sort of non-permanent adhesive when mounting the cut up CCI feed gate, so that I could remove it if need be down the road.

Thanks for all the wise words and suggestions and pics

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan