mcarterbrown.com

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #21 (permalink)

Well tried the newly honed barrel today, what a wondrous thing a flex hone is!
I was taking shot today I would not have bothered trying for before the hone.
Still missed my targets and had trouble seeing the green and black paint in the trees but overall I was very impressed with the long range distance.

Thanks to this thread and all help and posters, this is probably the best paintball investment I have made!
biteweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Good on ya Buddy!

As Obi-Wan would say,

Quote:
"That's good! You have taken your first step into a larger world."
If you're happy, I'm happy!!

ZiggyMarley, The 800 grit only comes in Aluminum Oxide or AO. The Levigated Alumina or LA only comes in superfine or 1200. The 800AO does a good job( but takes off more material. The 800AO is the flexhone you would find in the back rooms of most barrel makers. The 1200LA,IMO, crosses the turbulence line to give the boost to accuracy.

Rob

Last edited by agentSmith; 04-21-2012 at 08:17 PM.
agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Love my flexhone!

+

+

inside

=

Last edited by Crimson Death; 05-07-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #24 (permalink)

Ok so after having great results on my T68 pistol, I wondered if it was worth flex-honing the barrel of my Tiberius T8.0 pistol. The barrel is already pretty accurate (stock barrel that is) so I didn't want to ruin it. Has anyone flex-honed a stock Tibby barrel and what were the results like?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #25 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I've never managed to "ruin" a barrel by flex-honing. And I've honed some "really great" barrels in my day, was always happy with the results.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #26 (permalink)

Well its been a while, about 4 months since I flex honed the T8 barrel. Results have been great.
Initially I didn't see any improvement and thought I may have done it wrong but last Sunday I played at a walkon with my new to me T9 in pistol form and my T8.
Lets just say I got more hits at all ranges with the flex-honed barrel of the T8.
As an experiment to see if it was my familiarity with aiming the T8 over the T9 I swapped the barrels over. The T9 barrel and muzzle made it very easy to point and shoot the T8. Add to that the fact that I had trouble aiming the T9 because of the rails.
Guess which one was more accurate?

The T9 with my flex-honed T8 barrel. I'm supprised that this improvement isn't more well known over in the UK, I think I may be the only one over here with a flex-honed barrel!

One thing I did notice, with my T68 pistol. A flex-honed barrel really hates misshapen paint. I attended the TCUK game in July where they used clear paint. It was some of the largest and misshapen paint I have ever seen!
Basically everyone with freak kits had to switch back to thier stock barrels because it could not be consistantly sized.

I ran the T68 (flex-honed) and T8 on the first day I was there. I found the paint flew all over the place with the flexhoned barrel where as the T8 which was stock shot the paint fine. The second day I ran just the T8.

I'd just like to mention that as soon as everyone switched to thier stock barrels the paint was super accurate, it was really strange paint!

Once again thanks for all the advice, I'm really enjoying reaching out to those guys at the back of the field who think you can't hit them!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

It's ironic that paint can be so bad it can require a bad barrel. I would say nonhoned or poorer surfaced oversized barrels were dragging on the misshapened paint, pulling it into a more consistent orientation.
I always say what makes a pistol player after good refs is good paint.
I'm glad to have shared and am proud of the others who gave of their knowledge and experience!

It is fun, isn't it? Seeing him standing there like he's Napoleon on a hill, when to you he's one easy 'POP' away....
I'm glad no one could see me giggling evilly as I typed that.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
It is fun, isn't it? Seeing him standing there like he's Napoleon on a hill, when to you he's one easy 'POP' away....
I'm glad no one could see me giggling evilly as I typed that.
It certainly is. The funniest long ball incident I've had with the flex-honed tibby wasn't even a hit.
The fella was right at the back of the field behind a concrete bunker stood up bold as brass. My first shot fell woefully short. I adjusted a little and the second hit the top of the bunker he was stood behind. A couple of inches up it would have hit him. Even at that distance I could see it made him jump. Third shot whistled through the air where he had just been stood. He didn't come back up again!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #29 (permalink)

Sorry I have yet another question what with being new to this type of barrel setup. I was speaking about the pro's of using a flex honed barrel on another forum when a poster who is actually quite an experianced engineer and has been playing and making paintball markers for quite a while now said that using a flexhone is the worst possible thing you can do to a barrel!.

He explained that the hone would either ruin the finish on your barrel if it was coated in teflon or would make the barrel too smooth and increase friction.
Maybe I didn't explain the process properly but he was adament that it was bad advice to give out or suggest.

I'm pretty happy with the results I have had but its hard to argue with an engineer with 30 years experiance making and modifying paintball markers.
Any thoughts on this? Surely not all barrels have teflon coating?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #30 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by biteweasel View Post
Sorry I have yet another question what with being new to this type of barrel setup. I was speaking about the pro's of using a flex honed barrel on another forum when a poster who is actually quite an experianced engineer and has been playing and making paintball markers for quite a while now said that using a flexhone is the worst possible thing you can do to a barrel!.

He explained that the hone would either ruin the finish on your barrel if it was coated in teflon or would make the barrel too smooth and increase friction.
Maybe I didn't explain the process properly but he was adament that it was bad advice to give out or suggest.

I'm pretty happy with the results I have had but its hard to argue with an engineer with 30 years experiance making and modifying paintball markers.
Any thoughts on this? Surely not all barrels have teflon coating?

Thanks
Beats me but the results I've had are hard to argue against.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms