mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Making moves since '03

I am interested to hear about how you like your mag pouches. Oddly enough, while browsing through pouches today online I came across a set in a similar style. Looks to be an interesting enough design.

My Feedback:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...rick_18-a.html
ACI_Maverick_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Agent smith I am digging the mag holsters. Curious though, have you ever tried the 9mm magazine bibs or bandoliers?

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" is my motto
shadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have tested them in play and I'm dying to get them all together! the 3" depth of the cup and the suede inside combine with the light weight of the mags to make them dependable even when I'm loading from them and shooting while hanging upside down from my knees on a chin up bar. I mean if I were to do such a crazy thing! Ha-Ha, who would be that crazy... er...
ANYWAY!
Most all of the mag holders of this type keep the side of the mag facing the body for weight bearing purposes, this requires far too large a footprint on your belt. I accomodated for this until now by using the Emdom 4o6 pouches, which stack 2 mags away from your belt:

This new system will be far, far easier.
I'm going to make a rain cover that goes over the exposed parts of the mags with an elastic cord to tuck around the bottom. This will keep me from flooding out mags while in the deadzone. In play I use them too fast to soak them.

I've used alot of mag shoulder holsters and bandoleers of various types. When I used 3357s I had a shoulder holster originally for the army 45, turned into a cylinder dispenser. Basically it was like a dixie cup dispenser. You put a loaded 3357 cylinder in the top, narrow side down. This narrow end would stick out a hole in the rubber bottom. I could pull a cylinder out just like a dixie cup, when I had time to reload a cylinder it went right back in the top.

Over the years I generally got away from vests, shoulder holsters or anything on my top half except a jersey. If you're working a bunker heavy, wooded area like my home field, most opponent shots will come to your top half. In addition, it's a body heat thing.

That's why I didn't go for a seperate pistol belt, instead opting to design everything around a 1 3/4" pants belt. One less layer!

Looks are kind of deceiving in this case, the whole 10 mag slide(by picking up the components all together) when loaded, weighs less on your back than most harnesses with only 2 100rd pods in them. the idea is to maintain maximum flexibility for firing purposes.

Rob

Last edited by agentSmith; 01-20-2011 at 12:46 AM.
agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crafter of skins

The speedy stitchers (ie sewing awl type thing) are wonderful, my only thing I dislike is it's a running stitch, and if a thread down the road fails, it will work itself loose. Fixed with other mean,s of if you can redo it yourself you're golden. I despise saddle stitching and only use it when something absolutely requires the piece not to slip, otherwise I use my sewing awl as much as I can.

Depending on the holster I'd have to agree with the 8-10 oz. It forms well, holds up amazing, and is a strong protective shell to boot.

I have honestly not had much luck with the carnuba cream. Maybe just got a bad couple bottles, but I'm not a fan of it. I usually use Aussie wax (which is actually a conditioner) laid thickly on the leather, and using a hair dryer, slowly heat it up, so it absorbs into the leather, basically making it water proof. it's a long process, but resists paint very well. It does soften the leather a hair, but with good casing you'd never notice.

Current list of people planning on getting a holster for their DRV:
1: Mayvik
2: aldumil
3: Dundadun (special build, no longer DRV)
4: ITSPB-Rogue
5: Crimson Death
6: Big Phil
7: Ironchef97
8: Spinalmath
9:
10:
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
ton up boy

I had a setup similar as the pants you have, itīs by far the easiest to use in the heat of battle. I sew the loops myself and used the side pockets as dump pouch. I had 5 mags and 4 tubes, thatīs 2 mags and 2 tubes in each leg, and to me that was more than enough, never ran out of paint. (Maybe I just donīt stay in game as long as you do )

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
baader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Sometimes Baader, it's not how long the game is, it's how many folks join you there!

The Monster game at HS gets several thousand people as do the Global Conquest game and the Tippmann Vs the World Challenge game. In 2006 I think it was, they sold around 17 Million paintballs at the 3 big games between preorders and on-site sales. Attendance has dropped off some there as with everywhere else.
The 300 scenario game we're having in march hopes for 400-500 and the Day of the Rangers Scenario(this is a Blackhawk Down scenario put on at HS by MCBer Deacon's team, Delta Ops) gets more than that.
I missed pretty much all games last year with my broken leg.

Even a regular open play day can have over 100 players on a side, though 30-60 per team is average. It can change by which session you attend as well. By the time the six 15min games of the sunday afternoon session roll around it may be 10v10. Fortunately, some of these guys play on sunday:
YouTube - Global Conquest 2008 NATO Part 1

Life's never boring with the Mercenaries around!
They're really upgrading Hell Survivors this year, looking at adding permanent hot shower stations and more. They'll be adding some crazy stuff to the speedball side too!

I'm extremely lucky to have had HS so close(hour away) all these years. Though for years FPO and my 3357s kept us apart except the big games(I rolled P68SC for them).
Not only is it a great field but the refs are world class.

The one thing EVERY pistol player must have to reach their potential, regardless of what gear they choose, is GOOD REFS!

What's the point of hitting someone from 100' away, if the refs don't check because you only fired once? Because the refs check players in those cases at HS, it frees ALL players to only fire one or two. A culture of overshooting develops over time from players not getting credit for eliminations that they earned with a shot or two, then even decent players start to join in.
If the place you are trying to develop your pistol skills at, forces you to shoot somebody into submission to get an elimination, then go somewhere else! No matter how far the drive, save up and play less.
The field and the players on it are your teachers!

As my Tai Chi instructor would say, "Better to search for a good teacher for 10 years and study for a year, than to study for 11 years under a bad teacher!"

Butch,
This will be the 'tails' of the mag cups that will be sewn sandwiched between the two sides of the slides. A running stitch across the center will anchor the tails to the front. then I knock holes through tail and front. Trace these holes through to the mag cup, pull the cup away and punch those holes. After that I will sew the back side(2 pieces with a gap in the center so the rearmiddle pants belt loop will keep it in place) at bottom, right through front, tails and back side. Once I sew the bottom, I pivot the cups up and fasten the top chicago screws through tail, front and cup, then sew the top. The bottom screws will go through back, tails, front and cup, to adjust the size of the 3" slide to my 1 3/4 in belt. A little blue loctite and it should last me a while. I have the patterns for all this, so I'll see how I like it.
EDIT: Better pic of back of slide. Final rear part will have cutout for belt loop and tail tops will be trimmed:

Carnauba cream from tandy is(I heard from a 'user') recommended for stuff that won't flex. More like a surfboard wax than a conditioner. It went on well, I used pretty much your method to apply it, but with alot of hand rubbing at first.

I love the Tandy store! I went in there to get the great 'Making Holsters' Al Stohlman book(this showed me how to make holster patterns, angle the belt loops and everything) and they had Veg-Tan Splits On sale. $50 worth of leather, everything made and $20 worth left to use!

Good times!
Rob

Last edited by agentSmith; 01-20-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
why does the one mag have the number 9 written on the bottom?

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
"Fidget"

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
why does the one mag have the number 9 written on the bottom?
Cause its the 9th mag?

MCB FEEDBACK

4G010H3R0'S WTB THREAD

Facebook Page
4G010H3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

4G010H3R0 gets the prize! I moved it there specifically!

The original trufeeds I got, I numbered to keep track of their lifespan.

I have lost them but not broken one yet.

Rob

Old 01-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crafter of skins

Sounds about right with the tandy. I worked there awhile back, and Rance the new manager has been great. Stohlman's book though really was what taught me, as well as simply doing it more and more. The guy was a genius with leather.

To each their own with finishes. I mean everyone that does leather has their own ideal end result. Some want a stiffer hold (beeswax/carnuba cream works well) I prefer it a little more flexy and thus use aussie. As long as it works, that's what's important.

Hopefully I'll catch you at day of the rangers or something this year, I had wondered where you were this past year.

Current list of people planning on getting a holster for their DRV:
1: Mayvik
2: aldumil
3: Dundadun (special build, no longer DRV)
4: ITSPB-Rogue
5: Crimson Death
6: Big Phil
7: Ironchef97
8: Spinalmath
9:
10:
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms