mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #291 (permalink)
Damage Inc. Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
First, a little gear talk.
These grenade pouches, which I linked to in the show your rig thread, are cool plus:

http://m.sportsmansguide.com/img/ic?...F204797_ts.jpg

Rob
I used to one of these over 20 years ago to hold small Indian Springs pods and a 3.5 ounce tank. I found the snaps to be unreliable but I liked it. I may still have it somewhere.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #292 (permalink)
MCB Member

I knew I had seen them around back in the day, I instantly knew what size they were and that mags would fit. Sportsmans guide has them 2 for $14. One of the 2 I got was not a drop, the top pouch was at belt level, so I ordered another pair. They'll be a great loaner kit.

Manning,
The open play is awesome as well. One of the best things long term is the safety program and the refs. They rigidly enforce chrono and recheck it at random with a chrono mounted on a cart, in addition many of us Refs In Play have pocket chronos. The refs at big games are HS employees, supplemented by HS sponsored team players, never a chance of getting a ref unfamiliar with the game and the field or partial to one side or the other. I can play pistol and contribute because the refs are on the job and I don't need to fire more than one good looking shot to get a paintcheck..
The level of play is as high as can be found, IMO. I hear a rumor that it may expand from weekend play only, to weekday play as well.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #293 (permalink)
MCB Member

Of course Manning, the biggie is the 'PENTALOGY OF PAINTBALL!!!!!'.
Day of the Rangers scenario-may, Global Conquest-june, Monster Game-july, 300 game(which has been redesigned as a more standard scenario game instead of a straight defense and renamed SHIELDS)-august, and TWC-september. 5 months with a scenario or big game every month!

It's that last one that's got me sitting at home sore and sleepy.
The Tippmann vs the World Challenge game #14 went off this weekend and was a sweeping win for the World team. Mike Paxson did a great job keeping his Yellow guys focused on what they needed to do, shoot Red.

Paint was a problem at the game. Paint was NOT a problem for me at the game as always. I bet I saw a total of 20,000 dollars worth of hoppers and markers go down during the weekend. Summer formula and a sudden drop into the 40s with some rain and like, y'know, hail and stuff.
The old timers who adjusted their shooting and the techies who knew their markers sailed along pretty well. I never had a break all weekend with the Hellfire Gold, I left 6 mags that were loaded in my harness on saturday overnight in the car and fired them off sunday morning in the chrono to warm up for the day, not a single break.

What I did have was the tightrope walk of freezing gun vs needing to shoot. By stopping saturday morning when I saw what the weather was doing(I had already got there late), taking apart my pistols and cleaning out the Tippgrease and switching to marker oil inside the pierce pin assembly and regulator, I gained efficiency and was able to get more out of each pistol before it went into freeze. In volume shooting like I do I had to add more oil during the afternoon. By switching pistols judiciously also, I was able to maintain my normal shooting. Slightly over 3 bags in 3 sessions, many World teamers accounted for.

The HS Mercenaries are kind of like having real mercenaries around. If you don't hire us to do a mission, we may just make up our own mission....
We had a blast and mostly did what we could to even the game, helping Red get out of their green zone, taking runs through the meat grinder or helping in a push as well as occasionally just strapping on no team color and shooting an area empty of everyone we found in it. Personally I had a few moments I'll remember with pride and played well overall. Walt and I handled a broken down spool like we owned the place, we ran at it without a word, he bolted into the side still standing, while I did a quick sideways roll as I dropped and ended up laying on my back on the slanted side. As he popped up on his side and I rolled over to peek over the edge on mine, we had an angled view down into the whole center of the meatgrinder. They dug us out of there eventually but it cost them 6 or 7 to 1 easy.

It's fun being a NonPlayerCharacter!

Just playing with the invitation-only Mercenaries is an honor but only those who know Hell Survivors well, will understand how proud this old pistol player is of this:

Of course I immediately noticed that if I cut off the hopper with some snips and filed off the top tube and barrel, my trophy guy would have a Nelspot... then I realized that getting a trophy that was supposed to go to a player with a marker like the one on the trophy with my pistols, now that was Bonus, so I'm leaving him as he is.

Boy that TiPX on the left seems an odd color?

Tippmann is considering the OliveDrab that folks have asked for. I have no info on what or when, all I have is a pair of attempts. I have no idea how they make the bodies, but apparently to add dye and maintain strength, while getting a certain color, you have to make a pair and see, then adjust.
At Monster game, I heard they had a pair come out a color like coyote. "Ooooh!" says I, "I'll take them!". So I purchased #42391 and #42392 on friday! It's crazy, they're prismatic, in one light they look totally brown and in another they totally look green. I'll get a pic of them with my old olive drab one and the tan for comparison.
Not only consecutive serial numbers but the only 2 of this color earns a special thank you to Erich Garbers of Tippmann Sports, who went to alot of trouble keeping track and getting them for me!!! They will be used with pride!

I switched my crossdraw holster for a tornado type that would take an unmodified TPX and used each one for a while on sunday and they've both shot folks already!

Rob

Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #294 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
So by my count you should have at least 4 tpxs in your posession. With your style of play causing freezing issues, I wonder when you start to run 4 Pistols at once. Two in hands with holsters ready on your belt, with two holstered in cross draw shoulder rigs. Pirate style! Then alternating between the four pistols allows the others to thaw.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #295 (permalink)
MCB Member

Actually I could go full on Boondock Saints, I have 6.

In my defense I haven't had anything else to BUY! I essentially got $1500 in markers in 3 years and have no present plan to get anymore for a while. I would not have gotten 5 and 6 had they not been both a unique color and a color I like to use, I passed on the pink ones back when, though I have a pic somewhere...
My harness has had parts added and changed but is essentially the rig I paid $100 to assemble 3 years ago.
Magazines I've added a few at a time, except for one bulk buy of 15 trufeeds when they came out.

With all 6 Tipxs coming in at the price for a Top End electro or pump I feel pretty good.

4 is plenty for rotation, 3 is enough, but I prefer not to carry the 2 alternates. I've found leaving them with the co2 plug off and no mag in helps them warm faster.
Remember I'm on 20 minute missions for these big games, so I don't have to plan for long periods on the field or drawn out battles, but rather for inflicting maximum damage for 20 min, then going back to reset. If I were going non-merc a double shoulder holster I've got already(with 2 extra pistols), thrown in with my normal rig would not be unheard of.

I'm going for a new component to add to my rig that'll be the cat's pajamas, I'll post more on here when I get a chance to organize some pics to show.

I'm also thinking about getting a new paint knife for the Damage Inc Anniversary Game. I found my old one and it is still useable, but there's some new ones on the market that are too cool. Mine is a dagger style with a 7" 'blade', but this Ka-Bar would be fun:

It has tape that goes around the edge for chalk or lipstick.

I don't think I'd use this, though....

The masks would interfere with virtual scalping.

Rob

Old 09-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #296 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
AS, you might need to put that tomahawk into a shoulder rig
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #297 (permalink)
Damage Inc. Emperor

I actually used a tomahawk that a made for a role as a first nation in a scenario.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #298 (permalink)
MCB Member

Well it's not the Hawk so much as the sweep takedown and hair pull to get the scalp stretched out right, that I thought might be bad...

I'll stick with the knife, though this is tempting:

While I'm meandering, here's a nice pic of the Mercenaries at TWC, with a group missing, including my good buddy Kenzo:

All the Mercs don't go to each event and some folks may only don the jersey for a particular game.
We've had some great guest Mercs this year, hopefully Nick Slowiak's sponsors didn't mind him sporting the black as he taped this first look at the virtue spire loader:

Virtue Spire First Look W/Nick Slowiak of Houston Heat - YouTube

The Mercs are an odd bunch and I figured a good way to illustrate it.

Imagine joining a scenario team, practicing and playing together for 15 years.
Imagine all those seasons of mud and sweat and paint. Thousands of bruises and the occasional broken bone.
Imagine blowing through 10 cases in a weekend, getting welted up and tearing up your gear.
At scenario games you CANNOT win.
You're not even on the scoreboard, a Non-Player Character.

No matter how good you play, each team will only see part of it.
You'll get wrongly accused of cheating once in a while by guys who you were fighting for 15 minutes earlier too, which is nice...
The only people who will know what you're worth are your fellow Mercs and there are no ranks except Merc and Not-Merc.
The ability to play for the love of the game and really NOT care if you ever win is as important to Merc Life as playing well. I'm home for good, another player fades to Black!

General Pete Utschig of the Ironmen proved that speedballers are paintballers with this vid from last Monster Game. I'm in there a bit right after the lunch speedball, I want to say we DID take the highlands, run down the last few snipers finishing at the pentagon, then turn through the everglades to take the castle. I took the 'first in blast' and he and Red came in behind me and got the flag. Call me Robstradamus.

Hells survivors 2011 - YouTube

His move to slide right into the Yellow held village and change the flag before taking a hit crossing the road on the way out is classic, must been 50 yellows in there. Pete's the man.

Rob

Old 09-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #299 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Badass...
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #300 (permalink)
My Hands Shake

I would have gone to TWC but I crashed my car on a pole outside of the field.
Fidget is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms